i5 760 @ 4ghz or i5 4670k?

zacharyyy

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2011
Quick question, I've got 800£ to upgrade my rig, maybe pushing just over that by 20-30 odd. I play Arma 3/DayZ, which are rather CPU heavy and obviously others but looking forward to Star Citizen/Division/Witcher 3 and so on too. I mainly record ALL my gameplay to with OBS/Dxtory, but i'm not massively fussed if rendering takes a bit longer which I'm sure a i7 helps with.

My specs are

i5 760 @ 4ghz w/ a Coolermaster 212 stable
Radeon 7850
Gigabyte US3L mobo (i think)
Corsair Vengeance 8gb RAM
OCZ ZS 650w 80plus PSU

I'm looking to pick up a 780 for my GPU, and i've found a good price on one (310£, warranty from a reputable UK website. all it lacks is a box and the free gifts). Also 2 x 2tb Seagate Barracudas which will set me back about £120. This leaves me with a good 350£ left for basically *anything*.

Is it worth spending 280£ upgrading to a i5 4670k + mobo? I've heard conflicting arguments and benchmarks from people who have noticed ''amazing'' differences and others who view it as a very underwhelming upgrade and CPU's aren't really advancing massively beyond workstation type tasks and better efficiency etc. Even benchmarks for Arma 3/DayZ show there's not night and day differences between 1st and 4th gen cpus and people with 3770k, 4770k's still take a hit.

Thoughts? Experiences? I've been all over the web from 4chan to reddit and still don't have a definitive answer and i've been waiting to buy for about 2 weeks now!

Thanks all.

Dblkk

Honorable
Oct 30, 2013
the upgrade for the motherboard will net you more features and better speeds through faster data and ram. The cpu upgrade will more than likely result in a few fps difference. Is it worth the extra $300, idk. Yours is still good, but its almost to the point where the performance boost would result in more than 10-15%. So i'd say yes more than likely worth it, otherwise wait for broadwell, and then yes the upgrade would def make sense then.

With your overclock, I'd just wait for Broadwell unless you feel you need SATA 6Gbps or USB 3.0 support right now. Most of the people who do see a difference between first gen and 4th gen core series processors are either comparing their experience between stock clocked versions, or comparing them both when heavily overclocked. Haswell is only really going to be a significant boost for you if you overclock straight out of the box. If you keep Haswell at stock clocks, you won't see much of a performance boost over an i5 760 at 4GHz.

Mephikun

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2013
In my opinion yes. Upgrade to Haswell or alternatively wait for the new Devil's Canyon refresh. You could wait for Broadwell but it's not expected for a while, and if you want an upgrade I think it's worth it.

Reuse the CPU cooler (with new paste of course) and OC it. It definitely will be faster and you'll get all of the nice benefits of newer motherboards like SATA 6Gbps and USB 3.0.

zacharyyy

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2011
Thanks for the answers guys!

How long is it till Broadwell is released? And is it really likely to be worth the wait? I'm guessing it's likely going to be more expensive than picking up a 4670k right now. Presuming I do upgrade to the 4670k now, will that be a bad decision on my part?

Mephikun

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2013
Broadwell is estimated to launch around this time next year.

The i5-4670K is a very capable chip, wouldn't be a bad decision to buy it. Other people have different opinions but that's mine.

I've added a great motherboard along with the 4670K down below.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-4670K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor (£161.99 @ Aria PC)
Motherboard: Asus Z87-A ATX LGA1150 Motherboard (£95.99 @ Aria PC)
Total: £257.98
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-03-22 18:53 GMT+0000)

UnitedExpress4180

Distinguished
Jul 19, 2010
If you really feel like it's time to trade up, then certainly go with the 4670K. I've heard great things about that chip. But if your computer is still running well and gives you good performance, hang on to it a while longer and wait for Broadwell (or, heck, even wait until Skylake! My personal rule is don't buy a chip that introduces a new die shrink. Wait until the second generation so that any kinks will be sorted out).

zacharyyy

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2011
Thanks for all the answers guys.

And hmm, I'm still really undecided as there's no real majority decision. This one forum post is evidence for that. Some people say wait for the next gen, some people say go for it now and others say just keep the i5 760 so it's really difficult to decide but I need to make that decision preferably tonight or tomorrow! The more I dig for answers through benchmarks and stuff the more undecided I am.