7870 at 75degrees on normal load, after cleaning out pc?

James Savery

Honorable
Sep 10, 2013
Hey there, build my pc roughly 1-2years ago
Works well, however recently I've noticed random black/grey squares on my screen,
Looking it up shows that its due to my GPU overheating, which was correct
I eventually got a new air duster and dusted my pc, but to no avail, and at normal load (Not even a browser open, just speed fan) I get 75 degrees celsius.
Keep in mind my fans are at 3100RPM, any ideas whats wrong ?

James Savery

Honorable
Sep 10, 2013

I have no idea where the thermal paste exists for the GPU, although I do have some spare thermal paste
I've got no time for the next few days, and I fear as the longer I use my pc on these constant high load temperatures, Im taking up the lifespan of my GPU )':

FunkyFeatures

Reputable
Mar 3, 2014
If you have no idea, you should probably not do it, and if you do, you should watch some videos first.
I would say 75c is fine under load, but might wanna get it down with that rpm. i dont know.
There should be a lot of aluminium fins and some heatpipes. Where the heatpipes meet, is where the gpu itself is located. You need to take off the cooler itself, to change the thermal paste. I dont remember if it voids warranty, but if you still have warranty, you might want an expert from the store to look at it.

FunkyFeatures

Reputable
Mar 3, 2014
i actually ment either sending them your graphics card, or going to the nearest amazon :)
I have never heard of people coming to ones house and fixing it, but that would be a nice feature.

I think you should wait at least 24 hours to about 72 hours (1-3 days) before sending the graphics card to amazon. Some expert might see the thread and save you some time.
I honestly have no clue why it is, and it should be working.
I am just guessing as i said in the start.