7970 Need to underclock

Ryancroker

Honorable
Jun 1, 2012
So, I have a litecoin miner running two gigabyte 7970's and the thing just gets hot and likes to shut down. I have done a bunch with overclocking cpus in the past but I've never played with the settings of a video card and I would like to, basically, clock these two down a bit so they aren't running as hot. I don't mind sacrificing some hash rate performance to do this.
Every post is oriented around clocking up, not surprisingly, and I wasn't sure what kind of difficulties I might run into or if it will even work to reduce the heat output from this machine. I also looked into cooling solutions for them but they seem complex, any other thoughts are welcome of course :D

Thanks!

Solution
you can use msi afterburner, it has an overclocking tool that can work both ways, you can clock your cpu and memory down using it. it also has a fan setup tool so say you dont want you gpu getting over 80 C, you can set fans too run at 100% at 75 C or 80C. its very helpful with keeping temps down

jshoop

Honorable
Jun 25, 2013
you can use msi afterburner, it has an overclocking tool that can work both ways, you can clock your cpu and memory down using it. it also has a fan setup tool so say you dont want you gpu getting over 80 C, you can set fans too run at 100% at 75 C or 80C. its very helpful with keeping temps down

Solution

Ryancroker

Honorable
Jun 1, 2012
worked great, dropped it just a little bit with the hash rate but the temp went down ten degrees and is now nice and stable hovering 79-80 c and with a loss of about 5% efficiency :D