Laptop SSD on a desktop

Hey :)

I got everything installed on my hdd, because i dont have any ssd.. so i took out the ssd from a laptop pc ( the ssd is called : seagate momentus 5400.6 500 gb) but how can i move windows from the hdd to the ssd? the ssd has two storage stations, one is called OS (E:) ( 116gb) and one is called DATA (F:) (334gb)
So if i format the storage station OS, could it be possible to move windows to OS?:)

sorry my bad english, but i'll think u understand me :)
7 answers Last reply
More about laptop ssd desktop
  1. Easiest option is to back up everything on the Seagate drive (tbh, back up both just in case) then use software such as Clonezilla or Acronis to clone the HDD to the SSD.


    PS.
    Seagate Momentus is not a SSD, it's a hybrid :p
    I has an 8GB cache which is fast SSD storage. The remaining ~490GB is standard 5400RPM hard drive.
  2. casper1973 said:
    Easiest option is to back up everything on the Seagate drive (tbh, back up both just in case) then use software such as Clonezilla or Acronis to clone the HDD to the SSD.


    PS.
    Seagate Momentus is not a SSD, it's a hybrid :p
    I has an 8GB cache which is fast SSD storage. The remaining ~490GB is standard 5400RPM hard drive.



    but will it be faster if i put the windows in the os storage?
  3. Easiest option by far. (trust me will save you hours) is Paragon SSD Migration tool. It's $20 and can be downloaded here
    http://www.paragon-software.com/technologies/components/migrate-OS-to-SSD/

    It will align the sectors properly and gives the option to exclude folders when migrating to a smaller disk. Just make sure your MB is already running in ACHI mode, otherwise you'll want to adjust that first. (Requires regedit).
  4. haugabodl97 said:

    but will it be faster if i put the windows in the os storage?


    Makes no difference. The "OS" and "DATA" are two logical partitions on the same physical drive.

    Keep in mind that cloning usually removes ALL data from the destination drive. The OS and DATA partitions will be deleted and new partitions created exactly the same as on your HDD. This is why I suggested backing up first.


    EDIT:
    I can vouch for Paragon software. We have the Paragon Hard Disk Manager suite in the office and it is great software.
  5. casper1973 said:
    Easiest option is to back up everything on the Seagate drive (tbh, back up both just in case) then use software such as Clonezilla or Acronis to clone the HDD to the SSD.



    Just imaging the drive doesn't work for the folowing reasons:
    1. Usually SSD's are of smaller capacity than traditional HDD
    2. Failing to align your partition to the right sector on an SSD will nearly double the number of iops to the disk as logical sectors will overlap the physical sectors on the SSD. This greatly diminishes the speed, and causes premature failure of the SSD. (Research SSD 4k alignment if you want to learn more)
  6. Ignore my last post, I didn't realize it was a hybrid. DOH!
  7. casper1973 said:
    haugabodl97 said:

    but will it be faster if i put the windows in the os storage?


    Makes no difference. The "OS" and "DATA" are two logical partitions on the same physical drive.

    Keep in mind that cloning usually removes ALL data from the destination drive. The OS and DATA partitions will be deleted and new partitions created exactly the same as on your HDD. This is why I suggested backing up first.


    If the windows is on his own storage, on the OS, and everything else is on the HDD and the DATA


    EDIT:
    I can vouch for Paragon software. We have the Paragon Hard Disk Manager suite in the office and it is great software.
Ask a new question

Read More

Laptops SSD Storage Hard Drives