Solved

Im ready for a graphics card, Is my PSU enough?

first off, sorry if this is in the wrong place im new.

Hello toms hardware members, after a year since I build my first pc I feel that I am ready for a graphics card. The only problem is that I dont understand power supplies well. I have this power supply http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817171031 its 500w but Im told the amps are the important thing here?

My PC:
intel i7 4770k
single 1tb hard drive
dvd and blu ray drive
16gb ram
cooler master extreme power plus 500w

I am thinking on getting a budget graphics card such as the gtx 750. Im new to PC gaming, and will get a 50/50 use from gaming/video editing. Thanks in advance.
7 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about ready graphics card psu
  1. Best answer
    A GTX 750 would be perfect for your computer. I wouldn't risk running a high-powered graphics card on that power supply since it isn't of the best quality, and it's a little short on amps (36 total, most high-end nvidia cards use 42). But the 750 only requires 300 watts and 18 amps.
  2. zeph_yr said:
    A GTX 750 would be perfect for your computer. I wouldn't risk running a high-powered graphics card on that power supply since it isn't of the best quality, and it's a little short on amps (36 total, most high-end nvidia cards use 42). But the 750 only requires 300 watts and 18 amps.


    thats good news! also ive read that the 750 does not require a connector from the PSU? so it will just drop into the PCI-E and be done with it?
  3. Yep, no connector. Just put it in the PICe slot and you're good to go.
  4. zeph_yr said:
    Yep, no connector. Just put it in the PICe slot and you're good to go.


    thanks for the help, I will be buying the gtx750 soon.
  5. i have another solution for you, get the GTX750 Ti for $30 more. it cost only 5w more than 750. My psu is 300w and running 750 Ti, so if you have a 500w psu, get the 750 Ti for better performance.
  6. Ha Tony said:
    i have another solution for you, get the GTX750 Ti for $30 more. it cost only 5w more than 750. My psu is 300w and running 750 Ti, so if you have a 500w psu, get the 750 Ti for better performance.


    I do plan to get the gtx 750 ti, it seems to have good benchmarks for 1080p
  7. ae86cesar said:
    Ha Tony said:
    i have another solution for you, get the GTX750 Ti for $30 more. it cost only 5w more than 750. My psu is 300w and running 750 Ti, so if you have a 500w psu, get the 750 Ti for better performance.


    I do plan to get the gtx 750 ti, it seems to have good benchmarks for 1080p


    just get the Ti and forget the one without Ti, you will not regret. We buy a new graphic card and gonna use it for a couple of years, so get the one as close to the best price/performance available for our current system as possible! Have fun gamming!
Ask a new question

Read More

Hardware Power Supplies Graphics Cards Graphics