Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Best bang for buck professional workstation video card

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
a b U Graphics card
a b 4 Gaming
March 23, 2014 4:28:46 PM

I use my rig for video rendering and 3d work, as well as gaming. Right now I have two evga gtx 770 sc dual in sli. While for gaming its great, but I don't game as often as I work with rendering. So I was wondering how much a decent workstation graphics card is? As well as what difference it would make vs my 770's for rendering, and for gaming?
a b U Graphics card
March 23, 2014 4:35:01 PM

Technically a workstation card can do wonders for the viewport in your rendering applications picking a card though would depend on what workstation applications you are using gaming though it would not be very good for. (Actual Rendering to video etc is mostly handled by the CPU)
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
a b 4 Gaming
March 23, 2014 4:43:36 PM

Yea, video rendering most applications such as amersoft for converting and vegas use gpu acceleration. But otherwise, its mostly autocad, solid works, and blender.
m
0
l
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
March 23, 2014 5:19:22 PM

Autocad (especially the 2D stuff) and blender don't benefit to much for Pro cards performance wise (especially given blender is open source). Solid works would and is best on a Quadro but bang for the buck would likely be the W5000 or W7000 Firepro from AMD performance wise. (The Fastest Nvidia cards are in the ~$1000+ category).

If you have a multimonitor setup you might be able to designate a gaming monitor and use one of your Gaming cards connected to that monitor (have windows designate it as monitor 1) and you could still keep your FPS in games on that monitor. You'd have to have your viewport on the monitor connected to the Pro card but it would work.
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
a b 4 Gaming
March 23, 2014 5:20:30 PM

Does anyone know how well the new titan black with its 6gb ram does for workstation type? That would be ideal if I could still game well when needed yet have a well needed workstation class gpu boost for that as well.
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
a b 4 Gaming
March 23, 2014 5:33:27 PM

All I really found were reviews of the upcoming titan black explaining how it should/might be a decent workstation card, as well as the review on best workstation cards but that was back mid 2013, http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/best-workstation-gr... , that is the link. I found that the original titan either performed very well amoungst the top end workstation cards for autocad and open cl basemark which says its video processing. I don't know what open cl basemark is exactly but if it is video processing such as rendering then wouldn't the titan black be an ideal card? Since blender, autocad, and open cl seem to like the black and for $1000 its extremely cheaper than the other top performing workstation only cards, and I can game on it, seems like a good well rounded card?

Anyone have any experience with it?
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
a b 4 Gaming
March 23, 2014 5:36:31 PM

caqde said:
Autocad (especially the 2D stuff) and blender don't benefit to much for Pro cards performance wise (especially given blender is open source). Solid works would and is best on a Quadro but bang for the buck would likely be the W5000 or W7000 Firepro from AMD performance wise. (The Fastest Nvidia cards are in the ~$1000+ category).

If you have a multimonitor setup you might be able to designate a gaming monitor and use one of your Gaming cards connected to that monitor (have windows designate it as monitor 1) and you could still keep your FPS in games on that monitor. You'd have to have your viewport on the monitor connected to the Pro card but it would work.


You can run two separate different graphics cards in the same computer?
I have dual 7870's sitting on top of my desk right now, barely used, since I got the 770's. Could I run crossfire 7870's for my rendering for now, and my 770's for gaming? Or could I run my 770's and add a 7870 for pushing movies and such to the tv for the kids? As now when I am watching lets say dora on the tv using vlc, as soon as I start rendering or gaming, the tv screen flickers and vlc either freezes or crashes. If I could use two cards separately that would be awesome, but I always thought that the drivers being separate cards would clash with one another inside windows.
m
0
l
March 23, 2014 7:32:25 PM

Dblkk said:
caqde said:
Autocad (especially the 2D stuff) and blender don't benefit to much for Pro cards performance wise (especially given blender is open source). Solid works would and is best on a Quadro but bang for the buck would likely be the W5000 or W7000 Firepro from AMD performance wise. (The Fastest Nvidia cards are in the ~$1000+ category).

If you have a multimonitor setup you might be able to designate a gaming monitor and use one of your Gaming cards connected to that monitor (have windows designate it as monitor 1) and you could still keep your FPS in games on that monitor. You'd have to have your viewport on the monitor connected to the Pro card but it would work.


You can run two separate different graphics cards in the same computer?
I have dual 7870's sitting on top of my desk right now, barely used, since I got the 770's. Could I run crossfire 7870's for my rendering for now, and my 770's for gaming? Or could I run my 770's and add a 7870 for pushing movies and such to the tv for the kids? As now when I am watching lets say dora on the tv using vlc, as soon as I start rendering or gaming, the tv screen flickers and vlc either freezes or crashes. If I could use two cards separately that would be awesome, but I always thought that the drivers being separate cards would clash with one another inside windows.


This would become a driver nightmare and wouldn't be recommended. You'd be better off just building something like an USFF HTPC for watching TV or streaming video. The Gigabyte Brix A8-5545M http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00I0G7E7S is a great model to use for this.

p.s. Just sell the 7870's and you can easily pay for the Brix. ;) 
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
March 23, 2014 10:53:52 PM

PCGameFan2 said:
Dblkk said:
caqde said:
Autocad (especially the 2D stuff) and blender don't benefit to much for Pro cards performance wise (especially given blender is open source). Solid works would and is best on a Quadro but bang for the buck would likely be the W5000 or W7000 Firepro from AMD performance wise. (The Fastest Nvidia cards are in the ~$1000+ category).

If you have a multimonitor setup you might be able to designate a gaming monitor and use one of your Gaming cards connected to that monitor (have windows designate it as monitor 1) and you could still keep your FPS in games on that monitor. You'd have to have your viewport on the monitor connected to the Pro card but it would work.


You can run two separate different graphics cards in the same computer?
I have dual 7870's sitting on top of my desk right now, barely used, since I got the 770's. Could I run crossfire 7870's for my rendering for now, and my 770's for gaming? Or could I run my 770's and add a 7870 for pushing movies and such to the tv for the kids? As now when I am watching lets say dora on the tv using vlc, as soon as I start rendering or gaming, the tv screen flickers and vlc either freezes or crashes. If I could use two cards separately that would be awesome, but I always thought that the drivers being separate cards would clash with one another inside windows.


This would become a driver nightmare and wouldn't be recommended. You'd be better off just building something like an USFF HTPC for watching TV or streaming video. The Gigabyte Brix A8-5545M http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00I0G7E7S is a great model to use for this.

p.s. Just sell the 7870's and you can easily pay for the Brix. ;) 



Nightmare.. Yeah if he tried to mix both a Nvidia+Quadro or Radeon+Firepro. Which I wouldn't recommend. But Having two cards one each from Nvidia and AMD is fine and should work ok as long as Windows 7 or 8.1 is being used. There shouldn't be any driver hell Windows works fine with multiple drivers and graphics cards. Just don't try to have them mixed up with multiple devices using the same drivers with differing functionality. My only worry would be making sure you can select the correct device in those applications for rendering accelerated output. But if you already have a 770 and 7870 you could test how such a system would work without spending money.
m
0
l
!