Solved

Need Help with Two Problems with My New Build

Hey, so I started building my new computer and I ran into two small problems and I need help. Firstly when I was screwing in the motherboard screws into the standoffs I used a wrong screw. The screw is now stuck in the standoff and every time I try to unscrew it it makes this snapping noise. I'm scared that I will break the motherboard if I try to pull it out and I think I need that screw. The second problem has to do with my cpu cooler. I have everything screwed in properly but when I move the heat sink it tends to wiggle left and right about 0.5 cm. I am not sure if it has to tightened down so nothing moves or if it has to be loose. Also I'm using a coolermaster hyper 212 evo and I don't know if I have to tighten the middle spring.

Thanks for any suggestions.
19 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about problems build
  1. The CPU NEEDS to be tightened on FIRM. No movement at all. Remove the paste, apply new paste, and try again.

    For the standoff issue. Take the board out of the case and use pliers to hold the standoff while you remove the screw with a screwdriver. This is the only real way to get it to come free from the screw.
  2. tiny voices said:
    The CPU NEEDS to be tightened on FIRM. No movement at all. Remove the paste, apply new paste, and try again.

    For the standoff issue. Take the board out of the case and use pliers to hold the standoff while you remove the screw with a screwdriver. This is the only real way to get it to come free from the screw.


    Aww do I really have to remove the paste and apply new paste? I can't take the motherboard out because its in between the standoff and screw.
  3. Best answer
    The clicking you are hearing is the standoff turning in the hole. It is not bad. Remove the motherboard. It is the ONLY way to get the screw out of the standoff.

    Ans yes, you should re do the paste. If you wobble the cooler around, the paste will get air bubbles in it and not work well. A proper paste application is just as important as an aftermarket cooler.
  4. tiny voices said:
    The clicking you are hearing is the standoff turning in the hole. It is not bad. Remove the motherboard. It is the ONLY way to get the screw out of the standoff.

    Ans yes, you should re do the paste. If you wobble the cooler around, the paste will get air bubbles in it and not work well. A proper paste application is just as important as an aftermarket cooler.


    Should I use alcohol and a cotton swob to remove the paste? I can't remove the motherboard because it is in between the standoff and the screw. I cant even remove the standoff.
  5. Yes, alcohol and a tissue or cotton swab are perfectly fine.

    You are not making sense with the motherboard. You should be able to remove all the screws from the motherboard except the one that is stuck. If you unscrew the one that is stuck, the standoff will unscrew from the case and the motherboard will come out with the screw and standoff still stuck to it. I have done this plenty of times.
  6. I've had the same issues before. The Hyper 212 has spring pressure tension to hold it in place. Regardless of how tight the screws, the cooler can be twisted slightly. Once the paste is cured and becomes more solid... you can still twist the cooler which will fracture the cured paste. Your cooler will always be able to be twisted slightly when mounted correctly, so try to avoid any bumps against it.

    The mobo screw can be removed (assuming the standoff is still tight in the mobo tray) by wedging a kitchen knife under the rim of the screw-head (between the mobo and screw head) and with the knife apply constant upward pressure against the head and unscrewing at the same time. Be sure to unplug the power supply first.
  7. tiny voices said:
    Yes, alcohol and a tissue or cotton swab are perfectly fine.

    You are not making sense with the motherboard. You should be able to remove all the screws from the motherboard except the one that is stuck. If you unscrew the one that is stuck, the standoff will unscrew from the case and the motherboard will come out with the screw and standoff still stuck to it. I have done this plenty of times.


    I have tried to unscrew the one that is stuck but it just rotates on the standoff. Should I try using a screw driver?
  8. What were you using if you weren't using a screwdriver? If the screw rotates in the standoff, it should come right out no problem. If you used a screw too small, you can try to turn the screw and lift the motherboard up at the same time. That should do it easily.
  9. tiny voices said:
    What were you using if you weren't using a screwdriver? If the screw rotates in the standoff, it should come right out no problem. If you used a screw too small, you can try to turn the screw and lift the motherboard up at the same time. That should do it easily.


    Sorry I meant a drill. I guess I'll try this tomorrow, I'm just scared I break the board.
  10. Is the screw too big or too small for the standoff?
  11. tiny voices said:

    Is the screw too big or too small for the standoff?


    Well its a thin long screw so I think its too small.
  12. It should come right out with some wiggling and pulling.
  13. tiny voices said:
    It should come right out with some wiggling and pulling.


    Alright thanks a lot for all your help. :D
  14. tiny voices said:
    It should come right out with some wiggling and pulling.


    Hey I just took out the motherboard and the screw is jammed into the standoff. I cant figure how to unscrew it now.
  15. Hold the standoff with pliers and turn the screw with a screwdriver.
  16. tiny voices said:
    Hold the standoff with pliers and turn the screw with a screwdriver.


    Oh thank you so much for your help. As for the alcohol would your regular Captain Morgans work or, should I get %99 alcohol.
  17. Use rubbing (medical) alcohol, NOT liquor. Liquor has sugars and other crap in it.
  18. tiny voices said:
    Use rubbing (medical) alcohol, NOT liquor. Liquor has sugars and other crap in it.


    Alright, thank you again for all your help you have been very helpful.
  19. No problem! Always glad to help!
Ask a new question

Read More

Cooler Master Systems CPUs Motherboards New Build