is VS 650 enough for XFX HD 7870 2GB GDDR5?

Rohit Jackdaw

Honorable
Feb 3, 2014

VS series are better than CX series. I personally use VS 650 for my Geforce 760 and FX 8320 and a plenty of the stuff and also overclocked. No issues at all.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
A little wrong there sakkura, the vs/vx line is tier2 I believe, and definitely better quality than the tier3 Cx line.
Tier 2 Brands - Top Quality components With Top Notch Stability - For Those With Price/Availability Issues With Tier 1

Antec Neo HE Antec High Current Gamer Series Antec EarthWatts greater than 700 watt Antec TruePower Trio Antec TruePower Quattro Antec TruePower New -- 750w Akasa PowerGreen 80+ CoolMax CTG-750 watt/850 watt/1000 watt Cooler Master Ultimate/UCP Cooltek CT Corsair GS600 / GS800 Corsair HX Corsair RM 550 Corsair TX Corsair VX

The other GS, RM fall in tiers 3 and 4

The VX line no longer exists, and was very, very different from the VS line. The VX was definitely towards the high end of PSUs at the time, the VS is deep into the budget end of the spectrum. So much that it's not sale in the US, where Corsair thinks the higher-quality CX should be cheap enough for anyone.

Edit: I guess it's this list you're referring to with the tiers? You'll notice the Corsair VS isn't even listed in it. Only the old VX.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
The VS line was sold in Canada, for the simple reason its 200-240v, and the US doesn't use that phase. The VX is still sold in Canada, its 90-264v. The VX line still exists, can be found at NCIX.ca
The VS line was built by ChannelWell, as was the VX550 and the CX series with the exception of the 400w, which is built by seasonic, as is the VX450, so I guess it really depends on your point of view as to what you consider budget or high end, builder class and enthusiast class.

And no, that wasn't the list I was looking at, but the updated list. The eggxpert list is over 5 years old. I did, however do it on my cellphone, and for that I apologize, seems it blurped right past a header and the VS series is listed there as tier3, basically the exact same components as the CX series which is its replacement, supposedly, just as the RM was supposed to replace the TX series, but kinda failed at that.

Yes, the Corsair VS, CX, and VX are all built by the same OEM. But that doesn't mean they're the same quality! The CX and particularly the VS units use bad capacitors; they also have a short warranty. The VX uses Japanese capacitors and has a long warranty (5 years). I'm a bit surprised it's still available, it's probably just old stock.

The Corsair CX400 is also out of production, it's all CWT now.

The EggXpert list is 6 years old, but was last updated one month ago. It's fully up to date.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Oh hey, that's good to know about the list. And yes, the CapXon caps used in the VS,CX lines kinda suck for reliability and life expectancy. What I find weird is that more than a few canooks still have those VS and they seem to be running just fine, no worries like with the CX in the States. Maybe it has something to do with the 50Hz they use, maybe the cap factory is in N.Taiwan, and the factory that makes the CX caps is in S.Taiwan, I dunno the answer there.