760 now or wait?

davidbeast69

Reputable
Mar 6, 2014
I recently bought a PC, i5-4440 @3.1Ghz , 8GB RAM 1080p monitor with 60Hz refresh rate. I didn't have enough for a graphics card so i am using the Intel hd 4600. I was looking at getting the GTX 760 2GB seeing as it is only 250$ but i won't be upgrading for another 2-3 years so i was wondering if should just wait for gtx 800 series

Solution
Go for the GTX760 now, or try to hold your impatience and aim for the GTX770.
If you hold off, keep an eye on prices and also consider the R9 280/280X, right now prices in the USA are artificially high, they'll come down eventually, but maybe too late for you.

Bad_Kitty13

Admirable
i would wait for the 860 if you can, if the performance scaling is the same a the mobile series it should prove to be a good increase in performance. the 800 series will also natively support dx12 so i would wait if you can....

If you have a need now, and the budget now, buy now.

There will always be something newer or better on the horizon.
But, if you wait for the next best thing, you will wait forever.

The mainstream GTX800 series are not likely to arrive until the end of the year.
And, you can expect only a slightly better price/performance curve over current products.

davidbeast69

Reputable
Mar 6, 2014

that all sounds great but does anyone know when the 800 series might come out? I don't want my games to look like a slideshow for any longer than it has to.

paitjsu sadff

Honorable
Jan 29, 2014

not before Q4 2014 or even 2015...get a card now...GTX760 is a good one...depending on where you live.
You are in the U.S? if you're lucky enough not to be in northern america's then the AMD cards are usually better priced at similar performance range, look at some benchmarks and reviews online to make a good choice...only make sure you go with a card that has at least 2gb of memory...if youre unsure once you picked a couple cards you think are the ones you want list em here and we will tell you wich one is better for the price (INCLUDE THE PRICE IN YOUR LISTING)

Bad_Kitty13

Admirable
as far as the release date for the 800 series it is supposed to be some time before the end of the year. some speculations are as soon as may which i doubt but most are late summer and Q4. i believe nvidia will launch the new line with the devils canyon series of haswells this summer then release the TI's with broadwell but there are no certain dates right now.

this may provide some light on what i was trying to say earlier about waiting
http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/id-2052557/evga-step-program-800-series.html

davidbeast69

Reputable
Mar 6, 2014

yes I am in the U.S and the GTX 760 is the one I like the most and is in my price range or I could save a little more for longer and one in the 800 series. This is my problem

Go for the GTX760 now, or try to hold your impatience and aim for the GTX770.
If you hold off, keep an eye on prices and also consider the R9 280/280X, right now prices in the USA are artificially high, they'll come down eventually, but maybe too late for you.

Solution