New R9 290, No video to monitors

makit3d

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2008
Recently purchased the MSI R9 290 card for my system. I currently run a Sapphire Dual-X 7850 with no issues. When I install the new card I get no video to the monitors and I get no error messages or beeps. I can tell the system is running by the way the hdd's boot, the system goes through the optical drive reads, etc. It's like your child, you can understand what they are saying even though it's gibberish to everyone else. When I place the 7850 back in all is fine.

The relevant system specs are as follows:

Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD3H
Intel i5-3570k
32gb RM
Corsair H100i cooler
4 HDD's (3tb, 1tb, 320gb, 64gb ssd)
850 Xion PSU
650 Antec Earthwatts PSU
(powers HDD's and optical drives except 64gb ssd)
Seiki 39" 4k monitor (HDMI)
Crappy 22" monitor (Dual-Link)

I have tried getting the video card to post with only the SS drive connected with the same results. I even tried using the 650 Antec PSU instead of the Xion 850 (not the best psu, I know) with only the SSD connected; same lack of result.

Not sure what more you might need to help me figure this out, but I already sent one back thinking it was a bad card. I doubt that I will receive two defective cards back to back. It's not impossible, but highly unlikely.

makit3d

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2008
That did the trick. I had tried everything else but a CMOS reset seemed a bit too....easy. It should have been one of the first steps I took considering the hardware change.

Thanks again.