Sign-in / Sign-up
Your question
Solved

Looking for a new GPU 400-500$ budget

Tags:
  • Enthusiast
  • Intel i7
  • Hardcore Gaming
  • Solid State
  • RAM
  • GPUs
  • High end computers
  • Gamer
  • Graphics
  • Rigs
  • Graphics Cards
  • G.SKILL
Last response: in Graphics Cards
March 24, 2014 3:41:16 PM

I Am looking to buy a new video card for my rig so I can have a smooth gaming experience while playing my new and favorite obsession WILDSTAR!

BUDGET RANGE: 400-500 slightly higher if the deal is right.


USAGE FROM MOST TO LEAST IMPORTANT: Wildstar + Video rendering + skype + facebook all at once with graphics in wildstar on ultra, I would like to have a video card that eats through anything I throw at it!

CURRENT GPU AND POWER SUPPLY: Nvidia Geforce GTX 560 power supply 1200 watt

OTHER RELEVANT SYSTEM SPECS:
Intel Core i7-3960X Extreme,
32 gigabytes from 2 16GB G.Skill DDR3 2400MHz Trident X Series ,
Kingston Hyper X 120GB SSD 555 Read speed and 1 TB slave 7200 Slave drive,
Case - Antec 900-two7
Phanteks triple fan heat sink (migrating to water cooling)

PREFERRED WEBSITE(S) FOR PARTS: The one who charges the least :) 



PARTS PREFERENCES: I'm not sure, I like nvidia the best, however I can't say I wouldn't switch because I have only ever used invidia. but this is why I have come to you guys! I need advice on where I will get the best bang for my buck, and I need something that will be unstoppable!

OVERCLOCKING: Yes SLI OR CROSSFIRE: Maybe

MONITOR RESOLUTION: 1920x1200

I live in eastern united states I do mostly hardcore gaming
I'm 20 years old

I need someone who can tell me how important a 384 bit is over a 256 bit, or how important a few cuda cores are, I have a LOT of questions.

More about : gpu 400 500 budget

a b U Graphics card
March 24, 2014 3:44:45 PM

Evdoc said:
I Am looking to buy a new video card for my rig so I can have a smooth gaming experience while playing my new and favorite obsession WILDSTAR!

BUDGET RANGE: 400-500 slightly higher if the deal is right.


USAGE FROM MOST TO LEAST IMPORTANT: Wildstar + Video rendering + skype + facebook all at once with graphics in wildstar on ultra, I would like to have a video card that eats through anything I throw at it!

CURRENT GPU AND POWER SUPPLY: Nvidia Geforce GTX 560 power supply 1200 watt

OTHER RELEVANT SYSTEM SPECS:
Intel Core i7-3960X Extreme,
32 gigabytes from 2 16GB G.Skill DDR3 2400MHz Trident X Series ,
Kingston Hyper X 120GB SSD 555 Read speed and 1 TB slave 7200 Slave drive,
Case - Antec 900-two7
Phanteks triple fan heat sink (migrating to water cooling)

PREFERRED WEBSITE(S) FOR PARTS: The one who charges the least :) 



PARTS PREFERENCES: I'm not sure, I like nvidia the best, however I can't say I wouldn't switch because I have only ever used invidia. but this is why I have come to you guys! I need advice on where I will get the best bang for my buck, and I need something that will be unstoppable!

OVERCLOCKING: Yes SLI OR CROSSFIRE: Maybe

MONITOR RESOLUTION: 1920x1200

I live in eastern united states I do mostly hardcore gaming
I'm 20 years old

I need someone who can tell me how important a 384 bit is over a 256 bit, or how important a few cuda cores are, I have a LOT of questions.


I would say maybe a GTX780, or 2 GTX770s in SLI. That can raise your FPS by more that 75% over having 1 card.
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
March 24, 2014 3:46:31 PM

Or if you can find the money, a GTX 690 with 3024 CUDA cores and 2 separate KEPLER GPUs on one card, with a total of 6GB GDDR5. On EBay you can get them for $750+.
m
0
l
Related resources
March 24, 2014 3:49:10 PM

750$ is a bit too much. there are a few 780's for around 500, is there any specific maker I should be looking at? or should I try and get any 780 that has a certain overclock speed? I was looking at the 770 and 780 models but there are so many of them I cant narrow it down to any one specific card.
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
March 24, 2014 3:51:52 PM

Evdoc said:
750$ is a bit too much. there are a few 780's for around 500, is there any specific maker I should be looking at? or should I try and get any 780 that has a certain overclock speed? I was looking at the 770 and 780 models but there are so many of them I cant narrow it down to any one specific card.


ASUS is good, so is EVGA. For the quietest cooler, it would be MSI. The TWIN FROZER has not been beat yet, except by custom liquid cooled ones.
m
0
l

Best solution

a b U Graphics card
March 24, 2014 3:55:38 PM

I feel the need to give you an AMD recommendation just to have more options.
If you don't want to upgrade for a while, 2 x R9 270X is > R9 290X plus cooler and cheaper (~$430 to $500).

Otherwise, two of these is a pretty ultimate combo (~$600): http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?gclid=CJjB7t...

I gave two dual GPU setups because honestly, the R9 290X doesn't impress :p 
Share
March 24, 2014 3:56:49 PM

That's a great price, and right in my range. One question though, does 3 gbs or 4gbs make a difference?
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
March 24, 2014 3:59:53 PM

Evdoc said:
That's a great price, and right in my range. One question though, does 3 gbs or 4gbs make a difference?


No, unless your run at 4K resolution, it will exceed over 3GB's if you play like Crysis 3 at full settings so you would need a 4GB GPU. 384-bit is minimum recommend for a 4GB card so it can get the full bandwith.
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
March 24, 2014 4:00:08 PM

Unless you are doing 4K, or 16X anti-aliasing (Seriously, 8X is plenty people :p  ) 3GB is plenty.
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
March 24, 2014 4:01:15 PM

Evdoc said:
That's a great price, and right in my range. One question though, does 3 gbs or 4gbs make a difference?


You will not see much. It will make very little difference. For most people 2GB will suffice just fine. I use 768MB and max 2 or three games out, like WAR THUNDER.
m
0
l
March 24, 2014 4:04:44 PM

I run wildstar in 16x anti-aliasing at 1900 resolution. But this MSI Radeon R9 290 seems to me to be better at ever turn
4GB 512-Bit GDDR5
VS
3GB 384-bit GDDR5
AND this cheaper
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
March 24, 2014 4:13:44 PM

The R9 290 is a good option at $470, you can always double it up down the line when games get more intense (the prices will have gone down.)
Overall solid.
m
0
l
March 24, 2014 4:18:09 PM

Ya this r9 seems better than any 780 I can find, I think I'll give radeon a try, this will be my first radeon card, I hope it's just as good as nvidia
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
March 24, 2014 4:22:47 PM

I'm a fan of Crossfire without a bridge which is in the 290(X).
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
March 24, 2014 4:23:31 PM

They are roughly the same..... Sorta. Not the huge gap that AMD CPUs have with Intel.
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
March 24, 2014 4:25:02 PM

NVIDIA and AMD are equally good, there's no such thing as "NVIDIA is better than AMD" or "AMD is better than NVIDIA", both of those companies have their pros and cons.
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
March 24, 2014 4:28:05 PM

When the 7970 was faster than the 680 there were shouts of "AMD is better!"
And now with the 780 ti vs 290X people say "Nvidia is better!"

Why don't they understand it isn't the company that is good or bad, it's just about whose top end product beats the other:p 
Personally I'd say AMD's current line is better because of the SOLID mid range (it's not all about the high end, people)
m
0
l