Sign in with
Your question
Solved

$1500 Editing/Gaming PC build

Last response: in Systems
March 24, 2014 3:42:37 PM

I built a few computers with my dad about 4 years ago, so I have a small amount of know how when it comes to putting the PC together. But I never bought the pieces and I don't know how to look for the best parts. I messed around on PCPartPicker, but I didn't really know what to look for. I help run a 5 hour TV block with my friends, and we were supposed to do college news on it, but mostly just run student made shows and commercials. So a computer that can edit that kind of stuff would be great. I don't know much about the editing so I don't really know what to ask for (I'm just a camera man/Sound Board controller). I'm building this PC because I'm actually taking a class to learn how to do Video editing, and needed a computer that can handle it (I only have a 2 year old laptop at the moment).

Approximate Purchase Date: Probably within the next 2 weeks if not tonight

Budget Range: $1500 after taxes or at least somewhere close to that if over

System Usage from Most to Least Important: Video editing, Gaming, Netflix, and I don't know what rendering is but my teacher said Ill be doing it

Are you buying a monitor: Yes

Parts to Upgrade: Everything but a CPU (I was given an Intel Xeon E3-1245 V3 and was told it was good enough)

Do you need to buy OS: Yes (windows 7 Ultimate)

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: Any site that can ship directly to my apartment.

Parts Preferences: Anything that works with the CPU I stated

Overclocking: Maybe, I don't know what that is or how to do it.

SLI or Crossfire: Maybe, same as overclocking

Your Monitor Resolution: I guess 1080p, or better if possible

Additional Comments: I like to see inside so a window would be nice, and I heard a cool PC is best so that (plus I like all the fans and such), I don't want anything loud but if its unavoidable then that's fine. oh I also need all the Peripherals (I think, like headphones and a keyboard, stuff like that, the pieces that aren't in the actual computer). Also If you could recommend a good desk and chair that would be great (preferably under the $1500 budget or else I would have to wait until I get paid in 2 weeks)

And Most Importantly, Why Are You Upgrading: Learning to edit and need a computer to work with, plus I really want a gaming computer

Best solution

March 24, 2014 10:39:53 PM

PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/3g1eZ
Price breakdown by merchant: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/3g1eZ/by_merchant/
Benchmarks: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/3g1eZ/benchmarks/

Motherboard: ASRock Z87 Extreme4 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($119.99 @ Micro Center)
Memory: G.Skill Ares Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($138.75 @ Amazon)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($59.23 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 780 3GB Video Card ($489.99 @ NCIX US)
Case: Cooler Master Storm Trooper ATX Full Tower Case ($162.81 @ SuperBiiz)
Power Supply: Antec HCG M 750W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($94.99 @ Newegg)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8.1 (OEM) (64-bit) ($89.98 @ OutletPC)
Monitor: Asus VG248QE 144Hz 24.0" Monitor ($264.99 @ B&H)
Keyboard: Microsoft SIDEWINDER X4 Wired Gaming Keyboard ($39.99 @ Newegg)
Headphones: Corsair Vengeance 1500 v2 7.1 Channel Headset ($59.99 @ Best Buy)
Total: $1520.71
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-03-25 01:36 EDT-0400)
I didnt leave room for the desk/chair but I included a beast gpu for gamin as well as 16gb of ram for editing. If you need me to lower the price to fit in a desk and chair, I can get a cheaper case, cheaper gpu, and possibly a cheaper monitor. I also assumed you needed windows, If you dont it should be under budget including the chair an cheap desk.
March 24, 2014 10:53:54 PM

I just have a couple quick bits about this, Does the mobo support wireless, because of my lack of connection to a router. What about a mouse? And lastly don't worry about the price for desk and chair as I will just get them on my next paycheck, so a recommendation for them would still be helpful (up to $300 for desk/chair). Since this will be a partial work(editing)/gaming/school computer I would like to be comfy albeit, I will be on it for hours at a time.
m
l
Related resources
March 24, 2014 11:04:22 PM

Doorstopper said:
I just have a couple quick bits about this, Does the mobo support wireless, because of my lack of connection to a router. What about a mouse? And lastly don't worry about the price for desk and chair as I will just get them on my next paycheck, so a recommendation for them would still be helpful (up to $300 for desk/chair). Since this will be a partial work(editing)/gaming/school computer I would like to be comfy albeit, I will be on it for hours at a time.

Yes it will work with a wireless adapter. If you want to order it before your paycheck you can opt for the gtx 770, which should be almost $200 less, and if you dont need ms windows you will be under budget excluding the mouse.

m
l
March 24, 2014 11:10:54 PM

Alright, well you answered all but two. Which is partially my fault for wording it wrong. Does the mobo have integrated WiFi or do I have to purchase a separate adapter? And what mouse do you recommend?
m
l
March 24, 2014 11:15:46 PM

Doorstopper said:
Alright, well you answered all but two. Which is partially my fault for wording it wrong. Does the mobo have integrated WiFi or do I have to purchase a separate adapter? And what mouse do you recommend?

You would need to buy a separate adapter it will cost about $20 or so. For a gaming mouse, http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168.... But if you dont want all those buttonshttp://www.amazon.com/Razer-Deathadder-Infrared-Gaming-.... Remember gaming mice are very subjective. As for the desk/chair, I have no Idea maybe stopping by your local store and seeing what is comfortable for you?
m
l
!