256 vs 512 vs 750 gb SSD for Gaming?

James Cruz

Honorable
Apr 2, 2013
So i already have a 128 gb ssd for OS and MS Office + Skyrim and a 1 TB HDD for all my other games and other things. I would like to move all my Games onto an independent drive. at the moment i have 15 games and that will increase in a few months. So my question is what do you thing would be a reasonable amount of space for a SSD purely for games + Steam? I am thinking of getting the Samsung 840 pro 256 GB but the 840 EVO 750 GB is around the same price as the 840 pro 512 GB. Any advice is appreciated.

Solution
I think it's 48GB. Uncompressed audio and stuff... http://www.gamespot.com/articles/48gb-titanfall-pc-install-size-is-to-make-the-game-run-better-on-low-spec-machines/1100-6418227/

A SSD would definitely improve the load times. I wouldn't recommend it, but if you don't mind the cost, why not? If you decide to go that route, get the one will the lowest cost / GB. A 512GB should be plenty, but that depends on the games you have.

leeb2013

Honorable
so you need to know what games we think you'll own and how much space they'll take up in the future? Difficult question, I can't even predict that for myself, given that I didn't expect Titanfall to take 84GB of space.

I think a more pertinent question would be; do all your games need to go on SSD? Answer = No.

dav_jw

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2010
As you are probably aware, the SSD will not make much of a difference in most games, other than loading times. The best move, in my opinion, would be to only keep your most played games on the SSD, with the rest on the HDD.

If you really want to move your entire collection on the SSD and don't mind the few hundreds $$ a large SSD cost, get the one with the best price / GB (between the models/brands you trust, of course). Most modern SSD are more than fast enough that you wouldn't be able to distinguish them while gaming anyway.

James Cruz

Honorable
Apr 2, 2013
Some of the games im probably going to buy include TitanFall, The Crew, The Division, Dying Light, and some other games. I am i agree that all of my games dont have to be on a ssd and all of them wont be. the ssd would be mainly for so MMOs and Skyrim, Mods take up a lot of space.

dav_jw: i understand that they dont increase performance by much if any at all, but in some of my games the load time is almost dreadful.

leeb2013: WAIT, TITANFALL TAKES UP 84 GB ?!?!?! Why some much!?! And is it worth the money and space?

dav_jw

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2010
I think it's 48GB. Uncompressed audio and stuff... http://www.gamespot.com/articles/48gb-titanfall-pc-install-size-is-to-make-the-game-run-better-on-low-spec-machines/1100-6418227/

A SSD would definitely improve the load times. I wouldn't recommend it, but if you don't mind the cost, why not? If you decide to go that route, get the one will the lowest cost / GB. A 512GB should be plenty, but that depends on the games you have.

Solution