Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

Did I buy a big enough PSU for my build?

Last response: in Systems
Share
March 25, 2014 9:30:19 AM

Ok first off, long time reader, first time poster, so hello all.

The title says it all, the closer I get to buying all my components the more worried im getting about if I may have purchased too small of a PSU. All I have left to purchase is the GPU. I will buy a new PSU if need be, I do not want to install to little power and cause any harm. So here is my list, any input would be great.

CASE- Antec 900 (Has a 200mm or 240mm exhaust fan on top)
MOBO- Asus Maximus VI Hero LGA 1150 Z87
CPU- Intel I7-4770k 3.5ghz LGA 1150
SSD- Samsung 840 Pro Series 256gb SATA III Internal
HDD1- WD Black Series 1tb 7200rpm 64mb Cache SATA 6.0gb/s Internal
HDD2- WD Black Series 1tb 7200rpm 64mb Cache SATA 6.0gb/s Internal
GPU- Asus GTX780-DCOC-3GD5 384 bit GDDR5
MEMORY- Corsair Vengence 16gb (4 x 4gb) 1600mhz 9-9-9-24
OS- Windows 8.1 64bit OEM
CHASSIS FANS- 4-Cooler Master Sickle Flow 120 2000rpm Green LED Fans
CPU COOLER- Corsair H80i Hydro Series, Using 1 stock fan that came with it,
and 1 Coolermaster Sickle Flow 120 2000rpm Green LED fan for looks. (set up as an intake)

***PSU- Corsair HX Series HX750 750W ATX12V 2.3 / EPS12v 2.91 SLI Ready 80 Gold***

Also, I have one 15" green cold cathode light, and going to use an external optical drive

Thanks to everyone who takes the time to help me.

More about : buy big psu build

March 25, 2014 9:37:20 AM

The HX750w will be just fine. You may want to upgrade if you ever add a 2nd 780 though.
m
0
l

Best solution

March 25, 2014 9:49:22 AM

Your power supply is enough for running dual 780s in SLI: http://www.anandtech.com/show/7492/the-geforce-gtx-780-...

They use a more power-hungry CPU as well. You're plenty good for now, and an upgrade in the future.
Share
Related resources
March 25, 2014 11:22:25 AM

I see that the PSU is enough to run the GPU, but my concern is with the complete build. With all of the components I have chosen, is it going to be enough power? If I do want to SLI with 2 GTX780's in the future, what would you suggest as for wattage? 1000w?
m
0
l
March 25, 2014 11:28:08 AM

The link I posted above showing a peak power draw at full load of 550w was for the entire, overclocked system running 2 780s in SLI.

The HX750 will be plenty for your entire system running dual 780s with plenty of overclocking headroom and room for upgrades.
m
0
l
March 25, 2014 11:43:10 AM

HiTechObsessed said:
The link I posted above showing a peak power draw at full load of 550w was for the entire, overclocked system running 2 780s in SLI.

The HX750 will be plenty for your entire system running dual 780s with plenty of overclocking headroom and room for upgrades.


Ok I thought that those charts were showing just the watt usage for the GPU itself. So I guess my build turned out better than I expected it to. Im going from 4gb of 533 DDR2, Radeon HD4650 1gb ddr2, Intel Pentium 4 3.0ghz, nameless intel mobo, stock everything else. Do you think i'll notice a difference in performance? :-)
m
0
l
March 25, 2014 12:08:03 PM

Maybe just a tiny bit difference... lol And yeah, power supply wattage is almost always overstated. What you really need in a power supply is quality of parts, not brute strength. Your 750w PSU is much better than a lot of 1,000w PSUs lol
m
0
l
March 25, 2014 12:26:25 PM

Should be a hell of a difference going from a machine that can't run most modern games well or at all to a system that will run them at max settings.
m
0
l
March 25, 2014 12:29:23 PM

bignastyid said:
Should be a hell of a difference going from a machine that can't run most modern games well or at all to a system that will run them at max settings.


I was being sarcastic... lol thought that was obvious enough.
m
0
l
March 25, 2014 12:32:33 PM

HiTechObsessed said:
Maybe just a tiny bit difference... lol And yeah, power supply wattage is almost always overstated. What you really need in a power supply is quality of parts, not brute strength. Your 750w PSU is much better than a lot of 1,000w PSUs lol


Hey man thanks for taking the time to help. Ive been stressing this issue more and more the closer I get to build day.
Now as long as all the parts ive bought arent DOA or some other issue, I should be good? Do all the parts ive chose look like they will be compatible with each other? Sorry im asking so many questions. This is my first build with new parts. All my previous builds have been with other peoples old parts and things like that, I knew they worked before I used them. Well, heres to diving in head first!
m
0
l
March 25, 2014 12:36:14 PM

Definitely :)  Everything you have listed in the first post is very good quality, and should do you just fine :)  For your first build, I'm glad you went with higher quality parts instead of skimping to try and save somewhere you shouldn't lol

For now, I think you're going a bit overboard with fans though lol You don't really need more than one or two intakes with a single exhaust if you're going with a single GPU setup. Unless you don't mind the extra noise, that is ;) 
m
0
l
March 25, 2014 12:50:26 PM

HiTechObsessed said:
Definitely :)  Everything you have listed in the first post is very good quality, and should do you just fine :)  For your first build, I'm glad you went with higher quality parts instead of skimping to try and save somewhere you shouldn't lol

For now, I think you're going a bit overboard with fans though lol You don't really need more than one or two intakes with a single exhaust if you're going with a single GPU setup. Unless you don't mind the extra noise, that is ;) 


I know, I know, its an overkill on the fans... But I wanted my first build to look as good as it performs. You should see the custom work I did on the Antec 900, custom cut for the PSU, custom paint job, custom cut the drive bays to hide the 15" cold cathode light, and I custom fit the front of the entire case with 3 green fans. the noise i dont mind. Had to go external on the optical though to do it, but its a dying breed and I hardly ever need it (current rig doesent even have one lol) This thing is going to look and perform like a beast!
m
0
l
March 25, 2014 12:51:43 PM

HiTechObsessed said:
bignastyid said:
Should be a hell of a difference going from a machine that can't run most modern games well or at all to a system that will run them at max settings.


I was being sarcastic... lol thought that was obvious enough.


I was being sarcastic when I asked...lol
m
0
l
March 25, 2014 12:56:35 PM

Sounds like a plan man, seems like you've gone to quite the trouble with this lol You definitely won't be disappointed :) 
m
0
l
!