$900 (Canadian) Gaming PC, First Time Builder, Need Advice

Superboywonder

Reputable
Mar 23, 2014
Hi,
I recently made a thread asking for help with a new gaming PC build, it was resolved, but since then I've been able to increase my budget to around $ 900.00 (Canadian, before taxes); with my new budget I put together a new build (http://) to fit a better graphics card, but I need help with a few things and was hoping the community could help me out.

1. Are the parts I've chosen compatible with each other and will they perform well, for a budget build, for gaming? (pcpartpicker didn't report any conflicts I think I should be worried about, but I thought I'd ask just in case; it took me a very long time to come up with this budget and it will take me almost another year before I can give this another shot, if something goes terribly wrong and I lose all or most of my parts)

2. I may have to downgrade to two sticks for a total of 4 GB of RAM, for now, and upgrade to 8 GB with another 2x2 sticks of RAM in about a month; is the PSU I've chosen powerful enough to power my current build and will it be powerful enough for when I upgrade to a build with 4 RAM sticks? eXtreme Power Supply calculator says that I need about 478w of power, but some people say that I should get more than that, but I'm confused about how much more I really need to get.

3. The case that I've listed only comes with two fans, should this be good enough for now to keep my components from taking damage from heat? I don't plan to overclock anything at this time (I will probably in the future when I can afford to take the risk), but the GPU I've selected is factory OC'd, I've read reviews on it though and people say it's good at keeping cool. I do plan to add more fans in about one or two months, but if I do it now I'll have to sacrifice something. Should I downgrade my build to include a better cooling system? If so, what should I downgrade and will I need a better PSU?

4. This will be the very first time I've ever put together a PC, two weeks ago I didn't even know what "GPU" meant. I've done a lot of reading (was actually pretty fun) but I still feel I could use as much advice as possible. I'm confident that I can do it if I'm given good instruction, but I think good advice is always helpful. Are there any tools I should have handy for when I go to put my PC together? Is there any advice you can offer a first time builder like me?

Thank you to anyone who made it this far in my post and is willing to help me.

Solution
it will be a bit sad not to utilize fx 6300 OC potential

maybe i5 non OC build suits you better
and with cheaper GPUX Radeon 270X

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-4440 3.1GHz Quad-Core Processor ($195.00 @ Canada Computers)
Motherboard: ASRock B85 Pro4 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($78.00 @ Vuugo)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($82.90 @ DirectCanada)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($64.75 @ Vuugo)
Video Card: Asus Radeon R9 270X 2GB Video Card ($236.50 @ Vuugo)
Case: Cooler Master HAF 912 ATX...
it will be a bit sad not to utilize fx 6300 OC potential

maybe i5 non OC build suits you better
and with cheaper GPUX Radeon 270X

CPU: Intel Core i5-4440 3.1GHz Quad-Core Processor ($195.00 @ Canada Computers)
Motherboard: ASRock B85 Pro4 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($78.00 @ Vuugo)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($82.90 @ DirectCanada)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($64.75 @ Vuugo)
Video Card: Asus Radeon R9 270X 2GB Video Card ($236.50 @ Vuugo)
Case: Cooler Master HAF 912 ATX Mid Tower Case ($58.99 @ NCIX)
Power Supply: XFX 550W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($55.99 @ NCIX)
Optical Drive: Samsung SH-224DB/BEBE DVD/CD Writer ($16.79 @ DirectCanada)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 (OEM) (64-bit) ($95.88 @ DirectCanada)
Total: $884.80
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-03-25 22:41 EDT-0400)

Solution

M0j0jojo

Honorable

CPU: Intel Core i5-4670K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($254.79 @ DirectCanada)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z87-D3HP ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($139.99 @ Memory Express)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($59.99 @ DirectCanada)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 760 2GB Video Card ($269.04 @ TigerDirect Canada)
Case: Antec One ATX Mid Tower Case ($49.98 @ Newegg Canada)
Power Supply: EVGA 600B 600W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($59.99 @ NCIX)
Total: $916.68
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-03-25 22:45 EDT-0400)

Superboywonder

Reputable
Mar 23, 2014
@ AMD Radeon - I could OC in the future, but I'd like to start by taking things slow. I won't OC right away, but it's something that I wouldn't be against in the future. I was going to go with the R9 270x with my older build, but then I saw GTX 760 on sale at almost the same price and it seems like the better card according to benchmarks, so I wanted to take advantage. If I were to stick with the GTX 760, what would you suggest for my other parts? Thank you very much for taking the time to read and respond to my thread.

@ CPUs Expert - I'd still need to pay for Windows and that would put me over budget. But maybe I can save some money by going with the case you selected. I see you suggested a PSU offering more watts, should I be going with a stronger PSU for the build that I'm using? I appreciate you taking the time to read and respond to my thread.

the problem with all of these builds is they're gaming builds. Superboywonder can you tell me what type of CAD you're doing and your needs? I highly suspect you chose the fx6300 thinking of the workstation opteron 6300... if this is the case, then you're talking about a serious workstation you need to build. In which case, these gaming builds (including your own) probably won't do.

ESPECIALLY since we're seeing nvidia GAMING cards (nvidia is ideal in a CAD environment, however nvidia gimps the compute functionality of thier gaming cards quite significantly, so as to not compete with their Quadro line of industrial gpus; this means GCN gaming gpus tend to be far superior cards when in a workstation environment to nvidia gaming cards, because AMD doesn't gimp the compute functionality of their gaming cards; of course AMD drivers suck for industrial cad purposes so this isn't a great solution either)

If you could elaborate more on your needs and planned uses we might be able to find a good compromise build which can satisfy your budget, professional and personal needs (please tell us what peripherals and OS needs you have as well)

Superboywonder

Reputable
Mar 23, 2014
@ Ingtar33 - I'm sorry if I wasn't clear enough. I'm looking to build a gaming build for $ 900.00 Canadian (CAD) before taxes. The PC I'm aiming to build is mostly for gaming, but I will also use it for watching videos, listening to music and doing school work. I plan to play some newer games that I've missed out on, like Titanfall, CoD: Ghosts and maybe even Crysis 3. I'm not really sure how overclocking works and I'd rather take things slow in the beginning, so that if I accidentally damage something later on when/if I try to OC, it will be easier for me to replace it, as I will be setting aside some money for future upgrades. I'd also like to continue playing some of the older games I currently play, and for those I need Windows 7, because they don't work under windows 8 (last I heard). I will make things more clear in my OP, sorry for any confusion.

Superboywonder

Reputable
Mar 23, 2014
@ sahil8752 - I'd still need to buy an OS, which would put me over budget, but if I switch the 770 for the 760, maybe I could use that 100$ difference for the OS. Thanks for your suggestion.

I ended up using AMD Radeon's build as a skeleton for the final draft of my build. You guys and others have all recommended that I go with the intel instead of the AMD, I looked into it and I guess it does make more sense. I have to go out to get everything tomorrow morning, so I'll post the final draft of my build for one last look at before I need to get the parts. Thank you all for your help.

sahil8752

Honorable
Jun 17, 2013

We all recommended u for a Intel based build coz it was available for ur budget and if u check Intel tend to provide more FPS than AMD but if u like AMD(fx8350 at max) u may choose it but still i mean may get a little bit less FPS than intel based one But pls. tell us wat parts u r looking for... so we can suggest u for some changes or better parts ... Enjoy building up ur pc if u r building urself :p