r9 270 not working well, any help would be appreciated!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

machbut

Reputable
Mar 26, 2014
Specs: Amd phenom ii x6 1045t stock clock (2,7 ghz)

Gpu: Sapphire Amd r9 270 oc edition

ram: 8 gb corsair vengeance 1600 mhz ddr3

My problem is when I play battlefield 4 I am only getting 30 - 40 fps on HIGH settings with NO AA(pretty much any multiplayer map) , this is about the same fps I got with my old gtx 560, this shouldnt be right because the r9 270 is much more powerful than the gtx 560!!! Also I am fairly sure my gpu usage is 100 percent so I dont think their is a bottleneck, and on ultra i only get 30 fps while others on youtube get about 50 to 60. Is their something wrong with my card??

Pls help, thanks!

Solution
The performance characteristics of BF4 are very different between single player and multiplayer.
Unfortunately, it is difficult to do a multiplayer benchmark.
Looking into this, I found this link:
http://www.hardwarepal.com/battlefield-4-benchmark-mp-cpu-gpu-w7-vs-w8-1/
It is lengthy, but does have comparisons with your R9-270X class cards.
The results are surprising!
1. Windows 8.1 gives significantly better gameplay(less lagging) than Windows 7.
2. The game is optimized for 4 cores/threads.
The i3-3430(2 cores + hyperthreading) does surprisingly well compared to the FX-8350 with 8 cores.
Read it over a couple of times.

From that, I think your results are not out of line.
What can you do?
1. Consider upgrading to W8.1
2. Your 6...

WithoutWeakness

Honorable
Nov 7, 2012
The Phenom II X6 is still a solid CPU for gaming when overclocked but at the stock 2.7 gHz it is likely a bottleneck on your system and is holding your GPU back. Your cheapest option for improving performance is to overclock your CPU. You may require an upgraded CPU cooler to keep your CPU cool depending on what you have installed currently.

AnEwG

Honorable
Dec 31, 2013
Maybe, but you should try to upgrade your driver first to rule out the possibility that the driver is the issue, you may want to try a different (older) driver version if you already have the latest one.

machbut

Reputable
Mar 26, 2014
I have tried 14.1 (the mantle beta driver) and mantle was unstable so I switched to the 13.12 drivers (latest whql drivers) but I still only get about 30 to 40 fps while I see people with processors about as good as mine on youtube getting 50 to 60 fps ON ULTRA with AA

The performance characteristics of BF4 are very different between single player and multiplayer.
Unfortunately, it is difficult to do a multiplayer benchmark.
Looking into this, I found this link:
http://www.hardwarepal.com/battlefield-4-benchmark-mp-cpu-gpu-w7-vs-w8-1/
It is lengthy, but does have comparisons with your R9-270X class cards.
The results are surprising!
1. Windows 8.1 gives significantly better gameplay(less lagging) than Windows 7.
2. The game is optimized for 4 cores/threads.
The i3-3430(2 cores + hyperthreading) does surprisingly well compared to the FX-8350 with 8 cores.
Read it over a couple of times.

From that, I think your results are not out of line.
What can you do?
1. Consider upgrading to W8.1
2. Your 6 core cpu may not be the best for this game in multiplayer.

Solution

AnEwG

Honorable
Dec 31, 2013
This is rather surprising, the i3 is doing surprisingly well even compared to the Haswell i7 which is supposed to be the strongest chip in the benchmark.Are you sure Dice didn't make a patch to solve this optimization problem?

Status
Not open for further replies.