Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

Computer Turns On For A Split-Second and Then Turns Off

Tags:
  • Motherboards
  • Computers
  • CPUs
  • Components
Last response: in Components
Share
March 26, 2014 3:19:56 PM

I built my computer a few months ago and I had everything working up until now. I bought a new CPU fan a couple days ago and just now had the time to install it. I unplugged all of the cables to my motherboard because I thought I was going to have to take it out in order to install the fan, but I then realized my case had an opening to the back of the CPU so I didn't need to. I then put in the fan being careful not to touch the CPU or motherboard. I then plugged everything back in and turned on my computer but it only turned on for a second and then right back off. I checked every fan and they all turned on and so did the LED's on my motherboard. I'm not sure what could have happened from me putting the fan in but if anyone know's what might be the problem please let me know.

Specs:
Motherboard - Asus P8Z77-V LK
Graphics Card - GeForce GTX 760 4GB
CPU - Intel i5 3570K LGA 1155
PSU - Corsair CX500

More about : computer turns split turns

a b V Motherboard
a b à CPUs
March 26, 2014 3:27:05 PM

"but I then realized my case had an opening to the back of the CPU so I didn't need to"

So you probably got a back plate. Did you put it on backwards where the metal is touching the motherboard? Send us a picture?

Thanks
m
0
l
Related resources
a b V Motherboard
a b à CPUs
March 26, 2014 4:54:58 PM

your backplate looks good.
m
0
l
March 26, 2014 5:26:55 PM

Does anyone know if the problem could relate to me not having enough watts for my power supply.
m
0
l
March 26, 2014 7:22:12 PM

I going to geuss at this, but it might be the fan you bought. Im geussing your new fan is damaged and the fan is not spinning at high enough speeds and when your computer boots up it detects the fan not running at the right speeds and shuts down. Do you have any other computers that you might be able to test out your new fan in?

Note: I did the math on your hardware and there you dont not have to worry about not having enough watts for your power supply.

Asus P8Z77-V LK- 47w idle
GTX 760 104w idle
ntel i5 3570K LGA 1155 77w

Total wattage usage: 228w/out of 500w. Please note I used the ide power usage not while its under full load.
m
0
l
March 26, 2014 7:33:02 PM

thatmoney said:
I going to geuss at this, but it might be the fan you bought. Im geussing your new fan is damaged and the fan is not spinning at high enough speeds and when your computer boots up it detects the fan not running at the right speeds and shuts down. Do you have any other computers that you might be able to test out your new fan in?


Unfortunately not but I think I'll try to put the original fan back in to check.
m
0
l
a c 1798 V Motherboard
a c 621 à CPUs
March 26, 2014 7:47:46 PM

Check and make sure all your power connections are snug, especially the 24 and the 4/8 pin mobo power connectors...all the standoffs have their screws snug, check DRAM and ensure it's fully inserted
m
0
l
March 27, 2014 5:27:08 PM

Tradesman1 said:
Check and make sure all your power connections are snug, especially the 24 and the 4/8 pin mobo power connectors...all the standoffs have their screws snug, check DRAM and ensure it's fully inserted


I just checked all the wires and it still turns off after a split second. Any other suggestions?
m
0
l

Best solution

March 27, 2014 5:54:05 PM

Did your computer start up when put back on the old fan? We can only really narrow down the problem is that if you can test the fan in a diffrent computer and if that computer starts up then we could look into other issues that might be causing it.
Share
March 27, 2014 6:27:36 PM

thatmoney said:
Did your computer start up when put back on the old fan? We can only really narrow down the problem is that if you can test the fan in a diffrent computer and if that computer starts up then we could look into other issues that might be causing it.


I just tried using the stock fan and I was still having the same problem.
m
0
l
March 27, 2014 6:33:25 PM

Never mind I just got it to work with the stock fan. I also want to thank everyone here who helped me. I might post again on here if I'm having trouble again with the other fan. Thanks guys!
m
0
l
!