i5 2400 to 4770K worth it?

frederick lochner

Reputable
Mar 16, 2014
Hi , at the moment i have a i5 2400 with an Asus p8h61m-lx mobo and 2x4GB Corsair value select ram @ 1333mhz. Will an upgrade to a ASrock Z77 fatality perfomance motherboard with a i7 3770K and G.skill Ares 2x4Gb @ 1866mhz be worth it? It is only intended for gaming not video editing and streaming etc. how big would the perfomance gap be if i oc to 4.0Ghz? The main reason for this upgrade is a new mobo, becaue i want USB 3.0 , PCie 3.0, Sata 6gps for future SSD and faster ram. thank you

Solution

Hell, i am a mind reader.
I7 for streaming, rendering etc where S/W supports it.
I5 for everything else.
I mostly game @1440p with a fair amount of video editing and my 3570k gets the job.

logainofhades

Titan
There are very few USB 3.0 devices right now, and PCI-E 3.0 isn't necessary except for really expensive multicard setups. Intel doesn't benefit much from faster ram either. You could easily just get a PCI-E card for your Sata 6gbps. If gaming is your concern, then GPU should be where you put your focus. What do you have now?

Gee Bee

Honorable
Jan 16, 2014
Yes, especially when you consider the single threaded performance:

Intel Core i5-2400
None

Intel Core i7-4770K
In single-threaded applications, the Intel i7-4770K is 27% faster.
Multi-threaded performance of this microprocessor is better.
In memory-intensive programs, the processor has 20% higher performance.
The microprocessor performs 1% faster in graphics tasks.
The CPU supports AVX2, F16C and FMA3 instructions, that were introduced in modern microprocessors not too far ago. These extensions are not extensively used by applications yet, but their support should improve in future apps.
The processor is unlocked. The CPU can be easily overclocked on most motherboards to get greater performance.
Power consumption of the microprocessor is lower.

Gee Bee

Honorable
Jan 16, 2014
Based on aforementioned stats. GPU driven games are becoming like hen's teeth. CPU/GPU intensive gaming is where it's at.
In equal terms one will not bottleneck the other. 27% differential is more than significant.
Given pure gaming workload an i5 would be more appropriate.

Gee Bee

Honorable
Jan 16, 2014

[strike]He has a 760 apparently. [/strike] or not

Where does he say that?

DonQuixoteMC

Distinguished
Do not get an Ivy Bridge if you are upgrading motherboards. Go for the ASRock Z87 Extreme4 and get a 4770K. There's no upgrade path for Ivy Bridge if you already have an i7, whereas Haswell is getting a refresh later this year.

Additionally, Haswell performs at least 10% faster than Ivy Bridge, and that's with currently unoptimized applications. Haswell's greater performance can only be fully appreciated in applications that take advantage of its architectural upgrades. (I'll link to what I'm talking about later if you would like).

Gee Bee

Honorable
Jan 16, 2014
yes, i agree totally outside of gaming though. That 10% means very little to an OP who is purely gaming. I do agree on the upgrade path mind you. So OP would be better served by a Haswell I5K in that respect.

frederick lochner

Reputable
Mar 16, 2014
Thanks for all the replies , yes i have a 760 at the moment , so if a plan to upgrade should go with the updated haswell launching later this year? And if a get say an i5 4670k and oc it to 4.0 ghz will i see a significant boost in perfomance?

DonQuixoteMC

Distinguished

You will see a bigger performance boost overclocking a Haswell to 4.0GHz than you would with Ivy Bridge.

The Haswell refresh is just an upgrade option, you can wait for them if you want, however I can't offer any ideas on their price-to-performance value. They will be better processors, it's just unclear if they'll be a better value at launch.

If you need the extra "cores" of the i7 for encoding or something, then go for it. If not, it will only provide marginal gaming benefits over the 4670K. However, if it's in your budget, I recommend it for futureproofing's sake.

frederick lochner

Reputable
Mar 16, 2014
I am happy with the 760 at the moment and it will cost more like $100 to upgrade , because i know someone you will buy my old cpu , ram and mobo from me and if i get a compatible mobo i can get another 760 in sli. So decided i will wait until the new Broadwell ( i think that is what they call it ) comes out and get me a new , cpu motherboard and some new ram and oc the cpu. And have seen some bf4 benchmarks in the meantime , and there is a 2-3 fps difference between the i5 and i7. so a oc'd i5 is probably the best way to go.

logainofhades

Titan
In single player campaign, i5 and i7 will perform pretty close. 64 man maps is where i7 pulls ahead. I have kind of lost interest in overclocking. I would rather have an E3 1230 v3 with a less expensive motherboard than an i5 4670k. If not for microcenter, I probably wouldn't even have a 3570k right now. :lol:

DonQuixoteMC

Distinguished

I really don't see why you like that Xeon so much. It's basically a slow 4770K without an IGP that you cannot make faster later. You're pigeonholing yourself into more "cores" versus singlethreaded performance. I would always take a 4670K over that Xeon. It even costs less.

I'm sure you have your reasons, I just don't see them. I'm not trying to be a smartass, I just want to know what you see in it :p

logainofhades

Titan
Better multithreaded performance for a cheaper price of an i5 4670k, when you take into consideration the cost of a good clocking z87 board and an aftermarket cooler. That money saved is better spent elsewhere.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-4670K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($227.99 @ NCIX US)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($32.99 @ Mwave)
Motherboard: ASRock Z87 Extreme4 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($129.99 @ Micro Center)
Total: $390.97
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-03-27 15:18 EDT-0400)

Even if you want SLI, it is cheaper. You don't need a superb clocking board, just one to get the job done.

CPU: Intel Xeon E3-1230 V3 3.3GHz Quad-Core Processor ($244.98 @ SuperBiiz)
Motherboard: ASRock Z87 Extreme3 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($109.99 @ Micro Center)
Total: $354.97
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-03-27 15:19 EDT-0400)

If you plan on single card, and want raid capability, H87 is sufficient.

Motherboard: ASRock H87 Pro4 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($91.48 @ Newegg)
Total: $336.46
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-03-27 15:24 EDT-0400)

If you only plan single card, an SSD, and a storage HDD, you only need a B85 board.

Motherboard: ASRock B85 Pro4 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($69.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $314.97
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-03-27 15:20 EDT-0400)

You could even go uber cheap and settle on H81.

Motherboard: MSI H81M-P33 Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($48.98 @ OutletPC)
Total: $293.96
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-03-27 15:21 EDT-0400)

DonQuixoteMC

Distinguished
Well I wouldn't buy a cooler right off the bat, I would use the overclocking as an upgrade option and spend more initially on other components.

The Extreme4 gets you SLI and overclocking for $10 more than the Extreme3, which actually isn't very good at overclocking (sub-par MOSFETS). SLI and overclocking for only $30 more (Than the other ATX motherboard you suggested) sounds like a steal to me, given the insane amount of upgrade potential.

I will admit, that Xeon would be amazing to put in an mATX build.

As for multithreaded vs singlethreaded performance, multithreaded performance only rarely helps in games (past 4 cores) whereas singlecore performance always helps.

DonQuixoteMC

Distinguished

Haha I can't tell if this if facetious or not :p

It's a close call. If I needed to game and do video encoding/insane multitasking, I would definitely get the Xeon. If I were purely building a gaming build, I would pick the 4670K.

I don't think they'll call the new Haswell processors Broadwell.
I got a new laptop on 19th February, and it has the i5-4200M processor. I bought it specifically because it's swappable for a faster processor. I read on the net that it has a socket G3, so I checked it and it's called Broadwell.
So Broadwell could be the name for all G3 processors, but I'm not really sure of that.

logainofhades

Titan

Serious as a heart attack. I have dual 24" Samsung monitors. :D

DonQuixoteMC

Distinguished

You're right. There's a specific line of Haswells being released, completely independent of Broadwell.

Just looked up some more information on them: http://www.anandtech.com/show/7831/intels-haswell-4th-generation-processor-refresh-prices-leaked
Cool stuff, reasonable pricing. I'm just shocked there's no K version, I thought that was the whole point of replacing the TIM with solder :p

Serious as a heart attack. I have dual 24" Samsung monitors. :D
That's awesome! :p
Do you feel a performance hit when you do both on the 3570K?

Gee Bee

Honorable
Jan 16, 2014

Hell, i am a mind reader.
I7 for streaming, rendering etc where S/W supports it.
I5 for everything else.
I mostly game @1440p with a fair amount of video editing and my 3570k gets the job.

Solution