Memory upgrade, Dell Precision T5400

Anthony Hayes

Reputable
Mar 18, 2014
Hi there all, I have recently upgraded my Dell Precision T5400 from 2gb (yeah, terrible, I know) to 6GB. Now every time I start my pc I get a memory mismatch error and it asks to go into setup or run diagnostics. I have run full diagnostics and found no errors, every indication tells me the RAM is operating correctly from within Windows Environment. I thought maybe I needed to re-flash my BIOS, but I already have BIOS version A11 and it will not let me re-flash (not that I'm certain this will solve the issue). I am waiting for a further 12GB of RAM I purchased on Ebay, but will this error ever go away? I have 8 RAM slots, DDR2 667 240 pin. I have read that my mother board can support up to 64GB RAM. Any ideas, because now my system will not start without me pressing F1 to continue.

Your board doses not like that you have 2 differant types of modules installed. unless your incomming modules are the same as ones that are allready insstalled you will probebly have the same error. some things to check to see if you may be able to get the error to go away are. verify that all memory modules have the same timings assigned. and see if their is a setting that disables that memory check. beyond that i do not think that there is anything else you can do to resolve other than installing 4 modules of the same size speen and model.

Anthony Hayes

Reputable
Mar 18, 2014

Anthony Hayes

Reputable
Mar 18, 2014
I currently have 2 x 2GB sticks and 4 x 512, they will all be replaced by 2GB sticks of the same clock speed, size, but not the same vendor, it's no so easy to get all the same, I will look into the clock speed issue, but I didn't see memory check that I could disable. I can't wait to get rid of the smaller modules.