Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

First time Build: everything connected, power button does nothing

Last response: in Systems
Share
March 27, 2014 6:10:59 PM

Hey guys,
this is a first time build for me.
all components are fully seated and locked in with the appropriate power provided to them. upon my first attempt and powering on the LED on my MB lit up, but the power button did nothing. I quadruple checked where the connectors from my chassis where connected and they are all 100% in the right place. did some trouble shooting and removed all the chassis conectors and tried turning on the rig without the power button (by jumping the two pins associated with the power button for a second, as sugested by another thread on Tomshardware) tried a bunch of other shit and cant get the rig to power on. could this mean my motherboard is faulty?
March 27, 2014 6:16:31 PM

Try to boot it with just CPU/ATX power connectors plugged in. No RAM, GPU, storage, adapter.
m
0
l
March 27, 2014 6:58:14 PM

ive been informed that this is most likely a faulty motherboard, is this a possibility. the return window on the prodect is coming to a close and would need to ship it out asap if that is the case?
m
0
l
Related resources
March 27, 2014 7:00:31 PM

ive tried powering on as you sugested to no avail.

but on my last attempt powering on as a full unit i did notice that upon powering on (or attempting to power on) my fans on my GTX 770 graphics card quivered (like a 1/18th turn and then came to rest in their original possision) and then would do nothing more on subsequent attempts
this leads me to believe that the motherboard has a short. am i on the right track?
m
0
l
March 27, 2014 7:04:26 PM

Check for bent CPU pin.
m
0
l
March 27, 2014 7:07:15 PM

It could also be a defective PSU that isn't supplying enough power. List your full system specs.
m
0
l
March 27, 2014 7:11:00 PM

Some psu's have a switch on the back, main power on/off. I'm assuming both motherboard connectors (4/8 pin and 20+4 pin) are connected. If so, it could be either a d.o.a PSU or motherboard.
m
0
l
March 27, 2014 7:11:57 PM

1. u forgot to plus the power button
2.u forgot to plus the power button
3. u forgot to plus the power button
4. u forgot to plus the power button
5 ur pc died before its born
m
0
l
March 27, 2014 7:18:54 PM

gumbykid said:
It could also be a defective PSU that isn't supplying enough power. List your full system specs.


Asus m5 a97 r2.0 mother board
azza dynamo 850w PCU
AMD FX-4350 Vishera 4.2GHz 4 core CPU
PNY GeForce GTX 770 Graphics
G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3 2400 RAM
m
0
l
March 27, 2014 7:20:03 PM

i tried the board on a known functional PSU with identical results.
m
0
l
March 27, 2014 7:21:58 PM

Very strange build lol

Again, check the pin and if that's not it, then I would RMA both motherboard and PSU. In addition, I would get another PSU if it's possible. Azza is horrible for PSU at least.
XFX Core Edition 550W www.tigerdirect.com/applications/searchtools/item-Detai...

Update: then it's the board, or the CPU.
RMA the board and like I said above, see if you can get a different PSU.
m
0
l
March 27, 2014 7:24:29 PM

IDontUnderstand said:
Very strange build lol

Again, check the pin and if that's not it, then I would RMA both motherboard and PSU. In addition, I would get another PSU if it's possible. Azza is horrible for PSU at least.
XFX Core Edition 550W www.tigerdirect.com/applications/searchtools/item-Detai...

Update: then it's the board, or the CPU.
RMA the board and like I said above, see if you can get a different PSU.


what makes the build strange?
unfortunately i was trying to build the best i could (thus the graphics card and CPU) while staying within a budget (thus the Azza PSU)
Newweggs rating on that particular PSU is a 4/5
m
0
l
March 27, 2014 7:26:20 PM

Take the RAM out and boot it up. Does it beep? (assuming you have a motherboard speaker)
m
0
l
March 27, 2014 7:30:30 PM

gumbykid said:
Take the RAM out and boot it up. Does it beep? (assuming you have a motherboard speaker)


no it provides no response with:
nothing inserted, nothing but the CPU inserted, nothing with CPU and just 1 ram inserted

likewise no response with a second PSU in each of the scenarios seen above
m
0
l
March 27, 2014 7:35:10 PM

RMA the board, since your time is running out anyways. I would say you have about a 90% chance of the mobo being the issue.

Your build is strange because:
1) Your PSU Brand is unreliable. There are a few big companies that are known for their quality (eg., Corsair, Seasonic), others typically aren't as good.
2) Your CPU will bottleneck your GPU.
m
0
l
March 27, 2014 7:36:50 PM

gumbykid said:
RMA the board, since your time is running out anyways. I would say you have about a 90% chance of the mobo being the issue.

Your build is strange because:
1) Your PSU Brand is unreliable. There are a few big companies that are known for their quality (eg., Corsair, Seasonic), others typically aren't as good.
2) Your CPU will bottleneck your GPU.



like i had said this is a first time build i had abit of help but mostly this was done on my own.
what do you meen my cpu will bottleneck the GPU?
m
0
l
March 27, 2014 7:38:47 PM

Bottleneck or not will depend on the application, but I will say that 16 GB of RAM is more than likely to be an overkill unless you're doing professional editing tasks.

We're not here to criticize you, just trying to point it out for future reference.
m
0
l
March 27, 2014 7:46:13 PM

IDontUnderstand said:
Bottleneck or not will depend on the application, but I will say that 16 GB of RAM is more than likely to be an overkill unless you're doing professional editing tasks.

We're not here to criticize you, just trying to point it out for future reference.


you misunderstand,
i dont know what you mean by bottlenecking; never heard the term before.
i din't mean to come off as defensive that's not the case at all. im trying to learn whats what
m
0
l
March 27, 2014 8:26:38 PM

He means that your cpu is a weak link. Youve got a very good graphics card, and more than enough ram, running off like a ford escort of a cpu.
m
0
l
March 27, 2014 8:27:05 PM

Bottlenecking is when a part won't be able to keep up with other parts. For example, if your CPU is weak compared to your GPU, your GPU can only run so fast. It limits itself to how much the CPU can process.
m
0
l
March 27, 2014 9:26:11 PM

Think of a convoy. It can only travel as fast as the slowest car.
CPU. 1985 ford escort.
Mobo. 2000 ford crown Victoria police interceptor
Gpu. 2014 ford mustang gt
PSU. 1975 ford pinto

Understand? You have some excellent components, that will be seriously slowed down by other components that just don't really hold up.
m
0
l
!