Which is the best R9 290 build and why?

Joseph Brackett

Reputable
Mar 4, 2014
So I'm stuck between four cards and need help deciding which to purchase, based on my needs:

-Sapphire Tri-X OC
Review

-Gigabyte Windforce OC
Review

-Asus DirectCU II OC
Review

-MSI OC Gaming Ed
Review

Here's what I know/have read:

-The Sapphire and MSI are both on Hynix memory types, although the Sapphire has slightly better out-of-box clocks than the MSI card.

-Asus and Gigabyte are both on Elpida memory types, but both have higher out-of-box clocks than the previous two cards

-The Asus card has the highest out-of-box clock speeds, but also the highest load temps of all cards

-The Gigabyte has the lowest temps, but mediocre clocks

Here are some facts about my build:

-I do NOT plan to build a custom water cooling loop at the moment (unless otherwise I can be helped in finding an inexpensive yet solid, single loop liquid cooling solution for the GPU)

-I will be using an h100i for my CPU, so there is ample room to breath inside the case especially with static pressure setup I'll have

I just want the absolute best bang for my buck. It seems the Asus card would be best, but I want lower temps considering I most likely wont be using custom water cooling. I could just OC the MSI to at or above the Asus clocks, but would the temps be an issue?

What about the NZXT Kraken G10 system? Worth it or not? I haven't found benches on OC'ing different aftermarket cards, just the reference cards. Or.. should I bother with aftermarket at all, get the G10 and OC away?? What ram type do the reference cards have?

Any and all help is very much appreciated!!

Joseph Brackett

Reputable
Mar 4, 2014
Memory isn't an issue.

I did forget to mention, I'm gaming on a single screen, 21:9 setup.

I just want to know what would be my best option.

If worst comes to worse, I can easily save up for water cooling in the near future.

So, in regards to that, what would be my best option r9 290 card?