CPU or GPU. Which do I upgrade first?

I know there are plenty of these threads around but they all depend on your components. So far, I haven't been able to find one with similar components to mine. As the title says, I'm looking to upgrade but need an idea of which to upgrade first.

Specs:
Mobo: ASUS Rampage IV Extreme
CPU: i7-4820k @ 4.9 GHz
GPU: 2x GTX 770 2GB SLI

My intended upgrades are:

CPU: i7-4820k ---> i7-4960X Hex-core
GPU: 2x GTX 770 2GB SLI ---> 2x GTX 780 Ti 3GB SLI

Thanks in advance!
16 answers Last reply
More about cpu gpu upgrade
  1. Well if you're need more gaming performance then upgrade the GPU. Gaming wise your CPU is good for a very long time.
  2. There's not a whole lot more you could easily do on that.

    I suspect you'd be far better off getting some nice new screens or something.

    The other option is a third 770.
  3. Someone Somewhere said:
    There's not a whole lot more you could easily do on that.

    I suspect you'd be far better off getting some nice new screens or something.

    The other option is a third 770.


    I already have http://www.digitalstormonline.com/nvidia-g-sync.asp on the way so a screen is out of the question. And I want to avoid doing more than 2 cards in SLI at the moment :)
  4. avoid doing more than 2 card SLI, many tests have shown dramatic diminished returns after 2 cards. It's just not well optimized or supported yet.
  5. woltej1 said:
    avoid doing more than 2 card SLI, many tests have shown dramatic diminished returns after 2 cards. It's just not well optimized or supported yet.


    Agreed. I'm pretty much set on what I want to upgrade to, just puzzled on what should come first. I was guessing CPU since 2 GTX 770's working in SLI pull similar numbers to 1 780 Ti, there shouldn't be a bottleneck.
  6. what do you want to do that you can't do already? That will determine what to upgrade
  7. you have a high end CPU, to call it overkill for gaming is an understatement. Meanwhile you have 2 mid range GPUs in SLI. The weaklink is easy to spot. You either love spending money on electronics or have too much to know what to do with it.
  8. I wouldn't exactly call a 770 midrange...
  9. as far as 1080p gaming it is.
  10. You would notice literally no difference by upgrading your CPU. The GPU upgrade would make a much bigger difference in gaming.

    Overall no upgrades are needed, but if you really wanted to spend the cash, upgrade the GPU. (and the 770 is a mid-high end card. You can pick it up for about $250-$300 at the lowest)
  11. if it's just a case of wanting to spend cash then upgrade to 780ti SLI
  12. gumbykid said:
    You would notice literally no difference by upgrading your CPU. The GPU upgrade would make a much bigger difference in gaming.

    Overall no upgrades are needed, but if you really wanted to spend the cash, upgrade the GPU. (and the 770 is a mid-high end card. You can pick it up for about $250-$300 at the lowest)


    I honestly have a hard time believing there's no difference between a Quad and a Hex. From customer reviews, it makes a world of difference. The reason I am upgrading is I want to run up to 3 screens eventually and I'd like to have a lot of processing power so I can run multiple intensive programs at once with no major performance impact, such as:
    Games
    Editing Software
    Recording Devices
    etc...
  13. Editing software maybe, but games basically don't use more than four threads currently.
  14. SFRGaming said:
    gumbykid said:
    You would notice literally no difference by upgrading your CPU. The GPU upgrade would make a much bigger difference in gaming.

    Overall no upgrades are needed, but if you really wanted to spend the cash, upgrade the GPU. (and the 770 is a mid-high end card. You can pick it up for about $250-$300 at the lowest)


    I honestly have a hard time believing there's no difference between a Quad and a Hex. From customer reviews, it makes a world of difference. The reason I am upgrading is I want to run up to 3 screens eventually and I'd like to have a lot of processing power so I can run multiple intensive programs at once with no major performance impact, such as:
    Games
    Editing Software
    Recording Devices
    etc...




    Once you get to the high end i5s, you will notice no difference in games by upgrading. There are a ton of benchmarks showing this.

    There will be a huge difference in compiling and editing, so it's up to you. Do you want better performance in games or better performance in editing?
  15. gumbykid said:
    SFRGaming said:
    gumbykid said:
    You would notice literally no difference by upgrading your CPU. The GPU upgrade would make a much bigger difference in gaming.

    Overall no upgrades are needed, but if you really wanted to spend the cash, upgrade the GPU. (and the 770 is a mid-high end card. You can pick it up for about $250-$300 at the lowest)


    I honestly have a hard time believing there's no difference between a Quad and a Hex. From customer reviews, it makes a world of difference. The reason I am upgrading is I want to run up to 3 screens eventually and I'd like to have a lot of processing power so I can run multiple intensive programs at once with no major performance impact, such as:
    Games
    Editing Software
    Recording Devices
    etc...




    Once you get to the high end i5s, you will notice no difference in games by upgrading. There are a ton of benchmarks showing this.

    There will be a huge difference in compiling and editing, so it's up to you. Do you want better performance in games or better performance in editing?


    Honestly, both areas.
  16. Personally I think the CPU would not have as big of an impact, and it definitely has less bang for your buck.

    You might want to try to find some benchmarks comparing the two processors in your typical editing program.
Ask a new question

Read More

Graphics Cards Intel i7 CPUs Components