1150 Socket Mobo Help

Fadelessblaze

Reputable
Mar 27, 2014
Hey Guys,

I hope all is well. I am about to begin building my first PC and I had a question. I am leaning towards the i5 4570 cpu. This is pretty much going to be a machine for next gen gaming (Witcher 3, Dragon Age Inquisition, BF4). My build is using a Gigabyte GA-H87-D3H ATX LGA1150 Motherboard. Would it be better to downgrade to cut costs in my build/spend more toward GPU?

wdmfiber

Honorable
Dec 7, 2012
I can't believe Tom's has a $145 dollar board in their $2500 rig build (maybe it's a joke).
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/system-builder-marathon-pc-overclocking,3771.html

Anyway, I'd recommend an Asus Z87 Pro. Or at least the Z87-A, even on a budget.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FptNrnUASlk&list=PLfxaMTbBYP5kte7o44BegKcLsLYIQ8OBS&feature=player_embedded
Any GPU you buy today will be obsolete by the end of the year, as the industry shifts to the next gen on the 20nm fab process. But LGA 1150 boards have lots of life ahead. And much of your software will also be tied to that board, depending on what you buy of course...

Fadelessblaze

Reputable
Mar 27, 2014

I gotcha are those boards compatible to SLI or Crossfire? When you say GPU's will be obsolete by the end of the year what do you mean? Would it be pointless to go with a GTX 770 if I plan on SLI in the future (As early as this time next year)? I am willing to spend upwards $1000 (peripherals and windows needed as well) I understand I will not be able to skimp on the Mobo if I am planning on SLI but could I live with GTX 760 or 660 ti if I planned to upgrade or SLI by next year?

Thanks for all the help wdmfiber I really appreciate all the help!

wdmfiber

Honorable
Dec 7, 2012
Well...
Enthusiast are really looking forward to the next generation of graphics cards out sometime this year. Take the GTX 680 for example. It had a refresh(name change) and became the 770. But it will likely be replaced by a "Maxwell" GPU this year. And early Maxwell cards are serving up double the performance at half the wattage. So all the excitement because the GTX 870(or whatever it's called) should have the performance of two 770's!

And that will be true for the entire next generation line of cards. So any GPU you buy today... just understand that you may really be wanting to replace it with a new card in the near future! Especially after the 1st price drop(it always happens).

As for the boards, yes both crossfire or SLI.