Solved

I can't decide between a 256gb boot drive w/ 1tb hdd or one big ssd like a 500gb evo?

I am building a new pc and this is my only dilemma. Either a 256gb boot and games/programs drive w/ a 1tb hdd for music, files, etc.. or get a 500gb ssd for everything?
8 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about decide 256gb boot drive 1tb hdd big ssd 500gb evo
  1. MaudacityTV said:
    I am building a new pc and this is my only dilemma. Either a 256gb boot and games/programs drive w/ a 1tb hdd for music, files, etc.. or get a 500gb ssd for everything?


    get the 256gb and 1TB, 500gb wont be enough
  2. Best answer
    I have had a good experience with the 256G ssd and various data drives. It is sufficient to get the OS loaded quickly and to store some games and media. I had done this with windows XP with an 80G ssd - and had to migrate many windows default directories to the standard HD. It worked, but was a bit messy.


    Fundamentally - either choice is good - but for a good balance between storage and boot speed the two drives is a better solution in my opinion.
  3. If you can afford it, then get the larger SSD. Everytime you access it, it saves you time.

    However, if you plan on dumping lots of data onto it (like a music collection, videos, pictures, etc.) that won't be accessed very often, then you might be financially better off going with the 256GB SSD as primary & 1-4TB drive as 2nd drive for storage only.
  4. All depends on how much you want to have on it.
    For me...a 500GB drive would not be enough.
  5. If you know you can support the decision, one larger SSD is definitely the way to go. With that said, make backups. But if you need more than 1 TB, that's just not practical. Given the price of 512 GB-class drives like the EVO and Crucial M500, I think that's the way to go.


    Regards,
    Christopher Ryan
  6. Just remember as you go up in SSD space it gets just slightly slower, SSD are good for games and music and what not, HDD good for stationary files like work or whatever (atleast from my understanding). Get a Western Digital Blue 1tb for about 50 bucks then pick up a 850 evo 500gb for about 190. That'll be good for a while.
  7. PantherTyler said:
    Just remember as you go up in SSD space it gets just slightly slower,


    Um....no. It is exactly the opposite. Speed rises (very very slightly) along with size for SSD's.

    But....speed does not matter for static files like music, etc. Your playlist does not play any faster when the files live on an SSD vs an HDD.
  8. USAFRet said:
    PantherTyler said:
    Just remember as you go up in SSD space it gets just slightly slower,


    Um....no. It is exactly the opposite. Speed rises (very very slightly) along with size for SSD's.

    But....speed does not matter for static files like music, etc. Your playlist does not play any faster when the files live on an SSD vs an HDD.


    Ahh your write, strange, I dunno why I remembered it the other way. Yes you are correct
Ask a new question

Read More

Hard Drives Boot boot drive Storage system Build SSD help