7870 no signal unless another GPU is installed alongside it

barneycast

Reputable
Mar 29, 2014
No signal with 7870 unless another card is installed with it

I seem to be running into a very strange issue. I recently cleaned out my computer, updated bios, reset cmos, and now my gigabyte 7870 won't display by itself. I had previously been using it fine for the last three-four months. If I install a 4890 alongside it(not plugged into power nor into monitors, just seated) I will get video output from the 7870. Otherwise if I run the 7870 alone, I get nothing, but I do hear the windows login sounds etc.

I've checked my bios and it looks correct. I have legacy enabled as well. Has there been any other sightings of something like this?

barneycast

Reputable
Mar 29, 2014
I have reseated the main 7870 a couple of times. It's honestly a baffling issue. For the record my mobo is an ASUS P8P67 Deluxe and my gpu is Gigabyte AMD Radeon HD 7870 2 GB GDDR5. I'm assuming I messed up something when I reset cmos/ updated bios, but looking through the settings I can't tell what would be the issue. Also interesting to note that no external power is provided, the 4890 fans are running.

barneycast

Reputable
Mar 29, 2014
hmmm cant find anything. If I could force it into "crossfire mode" maybe I wouldn't need the 4890 Another thing I noticed is that the P8p67 has auto overclock settings, so I'm going to see if maybe not overclocking at all will maybe divert power that should be going to the 7870?