Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

Can I use a SSD and a HDD at the same time?

Last response: in Storage
Share
March 29, 2014 4:39:26 PM

I am working on my first custom PC build for gaming and was wondering if I am going to install a 3TB Hard Drive and a 120 GB SSD if they will interfere with each other or which one I should use. Thank you.

More about : ssd hdd time

Best solution

a b G Storage
March 29, 2014 4:50:25 PM

Put your ssd on a 6gb Sata port number 1 and install windows and your frequently accessed programs. Afterwards just connect the other drive to a 3gb Sata port and windows will detect it and set it up for you.
Share
a b 4 Gaming
a c 821 G Storage
March 29, 2014 4:51:04 PM

PreparedAj said:
I am working on my first custom PC build for gaming and was wondering if I am going to install a 3TB Hard Drive and a 120 GB SSD if they will interfere with each other or which one I should use. Thank you.


Sure you can. In my main system, I have 2 x SSD (128GB and 128GB), and 2 x HDD (2TB and 3TB)

Each gets a different drive letter, all working together.
m
0
l
Related resources
March 29, 2014 5:03:52 PM

notherdude said:
Put your ssd on a 6gb Sata port number 1 and install windows and your frequently accessed programs. Afterwards just connect the other drive to a 3gb Sata port and windows will detect it and set it up for you.


So would that be finishing the build more or less with the SSD and not the HDD and then doing what you said and then add the HDD to the build?
m
0
l
a b G Storage
March 29, 2014 5:12:50 PM

PreparedAj said:
notherdude said:
Put your ssd on a 6gb Sata port number 1 and install windows and your frequently accessed programs. Afterwards just connect the other drive to a 3gb Sata port and windows will detect it and set it up for you.


So would that be finishing the build more or less with the SSD and not the HDD and then doing what you said and then add the HDD to the build?


You can build it with or without the second drive but completing the windows install on the ssd and later installing the other drive just makes the install slightly easier as there is no chance of getting confused as to which drive you are selecting to receive the install and there is nothing to be gained by having the second drive in the machine during install. There is no cause for concern here either way. Just be sure to get windows on the ssd and also put the ssd on the faster (6gbs) Sata port which will give you maximum peformance from the drive.it is also advisable to put the install drive on Sata port number 1.

m
0
l
March 29, 2014 5:31:23 PM

notherdude said:
PreparedAj said:
notherdude said:
Put your ssd on a 6gb Sata port number 1 and install windows and your frequently accessed programs. Afterwards just connect the other drive to a 3gb Sata port and windows will detect it and set it up for you.


So would that be finishing the build more or less with the SSD and not the HDD and then doing what you said and then add the HDD to the build?


You can build it with or without the second drive but completing the windows install on the ssd and later installing the other drive just makes the install slightly easier as there is no chance of getting confused as to which drive you are selecting to receive the install and there is nothing to be gained by having the second drive in the machine during install. There is no cause for concern here either way. Just be sure to get windows on the ssd and also put the ssd on the faster (6gbs) Sata port which will give you maximum peformance from the drive.it is also advisable to put the install drive on Sata port number 1.



So I'm looking at the motherboard right now and it has SATA2_0 and SATA2_1 then it has SATA3_0-3. I know that's a really stupid question but this is my first build so what would go where.
m
0
l
a b G Storage
March 29, 2014 5:37:12 PM

Different motherboards use different naming schemes but Sata 3 is the faster mode so I'd place it on that port Sata 3. Edit: you will also want tub use a Sata 3 cable, they are usually marked with white.or otherwise indicated to be Sata 6gbs.
m
0
l
March 29, 2014 5:45:46 PM

notherdude said:
Different motherboards use different naming schemes but Sata 3 is the faster mode so I'd place it on that port Sata 3. Edit: you will also want tub use a Sata 3 cable, they are usually marked with white.or otherwise indicated to be Sata 6gbs.


Ok thank you very much for your help.
m
0
l
!