Solved

Need advice/recommendations on which monitor to buy

I'm currently looking to buy a new monitor for use as a secondary display for my laptop and for connecting a PS3 and a PS4 to for games/VOD in the UK.

I need the monitor to support 1920x1080, HDMI (at least one port, I have adaptors), 22-24" and have built in speakers (I know they're not that good but it makes my setup easier even if I eventually get external speakers). Maximum budget £150

So far I'm looking at two options:
BenQ GL2460HM (listed as £129.99 but I can get it for £117)
http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/1663958.htm
AOC i2267Fwh (£112)
http://www.amazon.co.uk/AOC-i2267Fwh-21-5-inch-Monitor/dp/B009Y4FAVC/ref=sr_1_2?s=computers&ie=UTF8&qid=1395253052&sr=1-2

The major differences obviously being the display type and the size, I know IPS has better viewing angles but I've also heard it can have slight delay compared to TN, is this true?

So any opinions on these two or better alternatives?

Thank you.
20 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about advice recommendations monitor buy
  1. You can also have a look at this monitor:

    PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

    Monitor: Asus VE247H 23.6" Monitor (£119.99 @ Amazon UK)
    Total: £119.99
    (Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
    (Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-03-30 14:23 BST+0100)

    Regarding IPS and TN panel, it depends on you that what you are really looking for? Better pic quality or better response time. To be true, anything below the mark of 5ms response time will be all well and good, so you shouldn't make this decision harder in choosing what panel to go for. Coming to conclusion, just pick anyone from Asus or BenQ, both brands are good in monitor productions.
  2. brarboy said:
    You can also have a look at this monitor:

    PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

    Monitor: Asus VE247H 23.6" Monitor (£119.99 @ Amazon UK)
    Total: £119.99
    (Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
    (Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-03-30 14:23 BST+0100)

    Regarding IPS and TN panel, it depends on you that what you are really looking for? Better pic quality or better response time. To be true, anything below the mark of 5ms response time will be all well and good, so you shouldn't make this decision harder in choosing what panel to go for. Coming to conclusion, just pick anyone from Asus or BenQ, both brands are good in monitor productions.


    Thank you, I just wasn't sure how much of a difference the response times were (for comparison, my current monitor is a Samsung P2250, TN, 2ms) since anything higher I've never done any gaming on.

    Is AOC any good?
  3. Best answer
    tech3475 said:


    Thank you, I just wasn't sure how much of a difference the response times were (for comparison, my current monitor is a Samsung P2250, TN, 2ms) since anything higher I've never done any gaming on.

    Is AOC any good?


    wouldn't pick AOC, if you are looking for longer run. They have questionable quality for their product which is only suitable for users with most tight budget. Pick Asus or BenQ for the best.
    Good luck :)
  4. brarboy said:
    tech3475 said:


    Thank you, I just wasn't sure how much of a difference the response times were (for comparison, my current monitor is a Samsung P2250, TN, 2ms) since anything higher I've never done any gaming on.

    Is AOC any good?


    wouldn't pick AOC, if you are looking for longer run. They have questionable quality for their product which is only suitable for users with most tight budget. Pick Asus or BenQ for the best.
    Good luck :)


    Thanks, never heard of AOC before so I really wasn't sure.

    BTW, are benq generally matte, glossy or mixed?
  5. tech3475 said:
    brarboy said:
    tech3475 said:


    Thank you, I just wasn't sure how much of a difference the response times were (for comparison, my current monitor is a Samsung P2250, TN, 2ms) since anything higher I've never done any gaming on.

    Is AOC any good?


    wouldn't pick AOC, if you are looking for longer run. They have questionable quality for their product which is only suitable for users with most tight budget. Pick Asus or BenQ for the best.
    Good luck :)


    Thanks, never heard of AOC before so I really wasn't sure.



    glad to help :)
  6. brarboy said:
    tech3475 said:
    brarboy said:
    tech3475 said:


    Thank you, I just wasn't sure how much of a difference the response times were (for comparison, my current monitor is a Samsung P2250, TN, 2ms) since anything higher I've never done any gaming on.

    Is AOC any good?


    wouldn't pick AOC, if you are looking for longer run. They have questionable quality for their product which is only suitable for users with most tight budget. Pick Asus or BenQ for the best.
    Good luck :)


    Thanks, never heard of AOC before so I really wasn't sure.



    glad to help :)


    Sorry, didn't realise that you'd respond this soon.

    Are Benq generally matte, glossy or a mix of both?
  7. tech3475 said:

    Sorry, didn't realise that you'd respond this soon.

    Are Benq generally matte, glossy or a mix of both?


    The LED you mentioned has Matte display surface. Rest depends on what monitor you are asking for, as even i don't have perfect answer to your question.
  8. brarboy said:
    tech3475 said:

    Sorry, didn't realise that you'd respond this soon.

    Are Benq generally matte, glossy or a mix of both?


    The LED you mentioned has Matte display surface. Rest depends on what monitor you are asking for, as even i don't have perfect answer to your question.


    Thank you.
  9. tech3475 said:


    Thank you.


    Tell us your experience after getting the product. Wish you best for gaming :)
  10. In my opinion AOC's are okay for the money; I'd rather get an ASUS though.
  11. Typical, I went to look at the Asus this morning and it went up £14. Looking around to see if there's something similar for less (at least on Amazon).

    sora said:
    In my opinion AOC's are okay for the money; I'd rather get an ASUS though.


    How are BenQ?
  12. How is Viewsonic? Found this one for £130:
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B008RM235I/?tag=pcp0f-21
  13. Presler said:
    With this monitor you can have the benefits of both the tn panel as well as the ips panel:
    http://www.philips.com.au/c/pc-monitor/brilliance-lcd-monitor-with-smartimage-game-242g5djeb_75/prd/;jsessionid=76A5266DA63226FC42EB493A8B6C18F9.app102-drp4?t=specifications
    By changing it to game mode you get ultra low response time ideal for gaming.


    Unfortunately that's way over budget where I live (about £250-300).
  14. tech3475 said:
    How is Viewsonic? Found this one for £130:
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B008RM235I/?tag=pcp0f-21


    Viewsonic does make better monitors. Image quality would be excellent but i am afraid with build in speakers' quality and 7ms response time. It's all up to you if you can be satisfied with it's specs?
  15. brarboy said:
    tech3475 said:
    How is Viewsonic? Found this one for £130:
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B008RM235I/?tag=pcp0f-21


    Viewsonic does make better monitors. Image quality would be excellent but i am afraid with build in speakers' quality and 7ms response time. It's all up to you if you can be satisfied with it's specs?


    That's what's concerns me more having only played games on a 2ms TN panel.

    Worse case I could squeeze in some external speakers so it's a more minor issue.
  16. I found this by manually searching Amazon, obviously there's no internal speakers but there is an output (which I need at a minimum), any opinions on this:
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Samsung-S23C570HS-inch-HDMI-Monitor/dp/B00CDP6JB4/ref=lh_ni_t?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE
  17. tech3475 said:
    I found this by manually searching Amazon, obviously there's no internal speakers but there is an output (which I need at a minimum), any opinions on this:
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Samsung-S23C570HS-inch-HDMI-Monitor/dp/B00CDP6JB4/ref=lh_ni_t?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE


    Check the differences with Asus and one you mentioned:
    http://computer-monitors.findthebest.com/compare/727-909/ASUS-VE247H-vs-Samsung-S23C570H
    Also, pixel pitch isn't better than Asus.
  18. brarboy said:
    tech3475 said:
    I found this by manually searching Amazon, obviously there's no internal speakers but there is an output (which I need at a minimum), any opinions on this:
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Samsung-S23C570HS-inch-HDMI-Monitor/dp/B00CDP6JB4/ref=lh_ni_t?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE


    Check the differences with Asus and one you mentioned:
    http://computer-monitors.findthebest.com/compare/727-909/ASUS-VE247H-vs-Samsung-S23C570H
    Also, pixel pitch isn't better than Asus.


    Thank you (another site I need to bookmark).
  19. tech3475 said:

    Thank you (another site I need to bookmark).


    you can just compare the specs with whatever monitor you choose. Glad we could help :)
  20. tech3475 said:
    Typical, I went to look at the Asus this morning and it went up £14. Looking around to see if there's something similar for less (at least on Amazon).

    sora said:
    In my opinion AOC's are okay for the money; I'd rather get an ASUS though.


    How are BenQ?


    BenQs are even better!
Ask a new question

Read More

PlayStation Speakers Playstation 4 Laptops Graphics Monitors Displays