Sign-in / Sign-up
Your question

windows 8.1 online upgrade from windows 8, browser Internet connectivity disappeared...

Tags:
  • Internet Connectivity
  • Connection
  • Windows 8
Last response: in Windows 8
March 30, 2014 1:32:25 PM

Hi, I just upgraded from windows 8 which was working ok, to windows 8.1 as I felt it was progression, now my windows 8.1 installation wont connect to wired adsl nor wifi, I do not understand why.

The broadband works fine with other devices.

I have done all the turning off/restarting both router and 8.1 machine.

To clarify, settings shows connected, wifi will also connect, in windows the browsers, Gmail, Outlook all state no connection.

Vuze appears to upload and download, connected to internet.

any ideas please?

Many Thanks.

More about : windows online upgrade windows browser internet connectivity disappeared

a b * Windows 8
March 30, 2014 3:59:41 PM

Welcome to Tom's Hardware Forums!

Have the drivers been updated to Windows 8.1?
m
0
l
March 30, 2014 4:10:52 PM

Not sure, how might I go about that? As I wrote, it was an online update.

Thanks!
m
0
l
Related resources
August 21, 2014 8:54:54 AM

Ubrales said:
Welcome to Tom's Hardware Forums!

Have the drivers been updated to Windows 8.1?


Hi,
I have the same problem.
Any idea?
m
0
l
a b * Windows 8
August 21, 2014 11:13:38 AM

The Win 8.1 upgrade (free from the Windows Store) from Win 8 is the right way to go. Soon after the upgrade you need to download and install the normal Windows updates. This can be done in the usual manner by opening Control Panel ---> Windows Updates ---> Search for new updates.

After this is done, restart the computer and all should be well. However, in the latest round of Updates released by Microsoft on Tuesday, August 12, 2014, there were some BSOD problems on some computers. More info here - http://www.digitaltrends.com/computing/microsoft-pulls-...!bHAi7a
m
0
l
August 21, 2014 11:54:08 AM

This appears to be a fairly common issue with Windows 8.1, and microsoft has yet to address it. I had the same thing happen to me, and for a time I found that running "ipconfig -flushdns" would get things working for about an hour then the issue popped back up.

After a bit of reading I set my NIC's DNS settings manually to the google DNS servers 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4. This seemed to make the DNS flush less frequent, but still an issue.

After more reading I found that resetting the IP stack "netsh winsock reset" was helping a lot of people, and sure nuff here I am 2 weeks later and have not seen this happen again. However I have read that others have to run this every so often when it decides to fail again, but it's better than having issues every hour or so.
m
0
l