Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

Samsung 840 EVO - Magician/Migration doesn't recognize it

Last response: in Storage
Share
March 30, 2014 7:56:35 PM

Trying to migrate (clone) my laptop HDD to a Samsung 840 EVO SSD. (Thinkpad x120e, Win7 Pro x64) Fresh install is not an option. Should be simple (cloning instructions comprise just 6 cartoon pictures!). Basically, attach SSD to a SATA/USB interface, plug into laptop, run Data Migration software, clone HDD, swap drives. Alas, hitting a major glitch.

I have the SSD in an external USB enclosure. It shows up as an external drive--I formatted it, has a drive letter. BUT: when I run the Samsung Magician software (to check/update firmware) or the Data Migration program (to clone HDD), a window comes up saying that no Samsung SSD was detected. The name of the drive appears as a Samsung 840 SSD, but the programs will not talk to it and update firmware, check functionality, clone HDD to it, etc.

I set the BIOS SATA mode to AHCI, tried reformatting the SSD, tried connecting to my other laptop and running Magician, etc. I've been searching online to no avail. Any ideas? Thx!!
a c 524 G Storage
a b Ô Samsung
March 30, 2014 8:18:47 PM

Steven P said:
I have the SSD in an external USB enclosure. It shows up as an external drive--I formatted it, has a drive letter.


That's why you're having problems; you should have followed the 6 cartoon pictures. :) 
You should not have put it in an external USB enclosure or format it in advance.

Remove the SSD from the enclosure and connect it to your laptop with the cable that came with it and then run Samsung Magician and see if it recognizes the drive.

If Samsung Magician recognizes the drive then Secure Erase it to restore it to a fresh-out-of-the-box condition.

Once you've SE'd the drive you can then run the data migration program.

m
0
l
March 30, 2014 8:36:19 PM

Dereck47 said:
Steven P said:
I have the SSD in an external USB enclosure. It shows up as an external drive--I formatted it, has a drive letter.


That's why you're having problems; you should have followed the 6 cartoon pictures. :) 
You should not have put it in an external USB enclosure or format it in advance.

Remove the SSD from the enclosure and connect it to your laptop with the cable that came with it and then run Samsung Magician and see if it recognizes the drive.

If Samsung Magician recognizes the drive then Secure Erase it to restore it to a fresh-out-of-the-box condition.

Once you've SE'd the drive you can then run the data migration program.



OK, but no cable came with it. Is the SATA/USB enclosure really different than a plain SATA/USB cable? (I've migrated HDDs to SSDs before using an external enclosure with no problem! But not a Samsung one wit Data Migration tool, I guess.)

I didn't format the SSD until after Magician/DM failed to see the drive, and some online solutions to similar issues suggested this.

Thx!
m
0
l
Related resources

Best solution

a c 524 G Storage
a b Ô Samsung
March 30, 2014 8:50:29 PM

Steven P said:
OK, but no cable came with it. Is the SATA/USB enclosure really different than a plain SATA/USB cable?


Yes, some external enclosures have additional features such as hot-swapping, encryption, or support for drives lager than 2TB.
The cable that should have came with your drive has no special features; it is just a straight SATA-to-USB cable.

You need a plain cable so that Samsung Magician can recognize your drive.
Share
a b G Storage
a b Ô Samsung
March 31, 2014 10:29:41 AM

Dereck47 said:
Steven P said:
OK, but no cable came with it. Is the SATA/USB enclosure really different than a plain SATA/USB cable?


Yes, some external enclosures have additional features such as hot-swapping, encryption, or support for drives lager than 2TB.
The cable that should have came with your drive has no special features; it is just a straight SATA-to-USB cable.

You need a plain cable so that Samsung Magician can recognize your drive.


Dereck47 is correct, many external enclosures cause driver issues with the SSD causing the Migration program to not detect it. MAgician is made to not detect the SSD until it is plugged internally.
m
0
l
April 1, 2014 1:08:45 PM

OK, this partially worked--thanks! Samsung Magician still doesn't recognize the SSD drive (I tried v 4.3 and 4.2, as 4.3 has some reported glitches). However, the Data Migration software *does* recognize the drive, and it is allowing me to proceed with the cloning process. I couldn't use Magician to update firmware (if needed), but I presume the cloning will wipe the drive and check settings on it. I will try to run Magician again after the cloning is complete.

Yes, there IS a difference between a SATA-to-USB external enclosure and a SATA-to-USB cable! Now I know...
m
0
l
July 15, 2014 3:35:57 AM

Hi, I am having a similar issue using windows 8. Only with my laptop it seems to be the reverse of your issue. When i plugin the SSD it is recognised by the laptop (no drive letter mapped though), then i fire up the migration software and it just says, connect ssd? I could if i wanted to map a drive letter or format the HD. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Many thanks!
m
0
l
!