Fx-6300 cooling and possible OC questions

TheEternal

Reputable
Mar 31, 2014
I recently installed an FX-6300 with the stock cooler on my Asus m5a78l-m lx plus motherboard. I have noticed the CPU tends to idle around 28-34C and gets up to about 57-58C when in games like Witcher 2, Battlefield 4, or Guild Wars 2. Are these temps okay for extended periods of time, or will always running at this temperature in games lead to a much shorter lifespan? Should I invest in a cooler, like the CM Hyper 212 Evo?

Second question: is it really dangerous to OC on this board? I have never OC'd anything, but I've read that this board wouldn't do well with OC. However, if I were to OC, even a little, I would definitely invest in a new cooler.

Thanks for your help.

TheEternal

Reputable
Mar 31, 2014
I know that the temps are "fine", but would I be able to get them lower? And if I were to get them lower, would it really change the lifespan?

I just like my parts to last as long as possible. I like to replace them when I'm ready to upgrade, not because they died.

they are well within spec, they might reduce lifespan from 10yrs to 9.5yrs, it's that kind of difference i.e. inconsequential.

if you were OCing then lower is better, but you have no concerns now.

However cooler does tend to be quieter, which means you'll be replacing your sanity less often.

TheEternal

Reputable
Mar 31, 2014

Any idea what I could safely OC to, if at all, with this motherboard? I've read it supports up to 125W, and my FX-6300 is 95W. Don't know if this makes any difference. Thanks again for the help