HD 6670 Graphics Issue - Need Advice

si2787

Reputable
Mar 31, 2014
Ok, So I have been having a recurring issue on my computer which I believe is related to the graphics card but I just wanted to run in by everyone so I could have some second opinions. I’ll describe the fault below but I will say I have already RMA’d the card to the seller one already around 4/ months ago due to a similar issue.

Periodically whilst playing games the screen will freeze up/artefact and there will be a loud buzzing noise over the speakers/headset which will not stop until the game crashes out back to the desktop. (believe this is the sound looping/crashing as well) If I have an application open, such as Skype or Steam these also crash with Steam in particular displaying graphic glitches when you open the menu system. Although I can still navigate the desktop and I can still use IE etc I can open no exe. Files as these will all crash on launched and this will only be resolved by a restart of the computer

Once restarted the issue my occur again within 5mins or within 3 hours, sometimes I can be playing a game all-day and there will be no error/crash. I really am at a loss as to what to do;

Running a HD 6670 2GB XFX with 4Gb Ram and Phenom II Quad Core processor.

I have reformatted the PC
Reinstalled Mobo and Graphics Drivers
Updated to most recent versions
Performed MemTest and ScanDisk (all clear)

I tried my old card in the machine and no errors however the card is not as good as the one which is faulty so it cannot run/display the same level of games. Originally this was related to running Borderlands 2 however the issue has now extended into stuff Like League of Legends, Hearthstone, Wow even some simple steam games like FTL have crashed out like this.

Any help would be great or any suggestions would be appreciated.

Si

Solution
I think you are seeing some site glitches in reference to the messages you are seeing. Your posts appear to be fine.

It is still possible that your HD6670 is defective and that the better airflow simply keeps it cooler and therefor it fails to present the problem as often.

You could remove the 6670 and use your integrated video to see if the problem continues.

si2787

Reputable
Mar 31, 2014
Hi

Mobo: ASRock N68C-S UCC GeForce 7025
PSU: Generic 500w one that came with the case - however I do have an ACE 750W BR PSU newly bought, jsut waiting on my new case which arrives today to start using it

I was concerned that it was an overheating issue hence the purchase of a new better airflow case but on testign the card with FurMark the GPU hits about 40-80 idle to underload (it moves between the two alotr) and the CPU i haven't checked fully.

nothing in the machine is overclocked

si2787

Reputable
Mar 31, 2014
As i said the temperature fluctuates between those poitns - I actually ran FurMark for about an hour on the drainging settigns and although my fps nose dived the card never crashed out :(

however If i take the side of the machine then yes it does decrease in temperature however i could never pin it down to over heating as the machine never crashed on my old card when playing the same games.

I actually stopped playing things like Borderlands 2 and Skyrim when i encoutnered this issue in an attempt to find a correction, I would have thought that it crashign on something like League of Legends which runs fine on my old card would have also experienced an overheating issue?

In the event its a power issue would this be backed up by the fact the desktop/explorer is still useable its its just the card that is crashing out/running out of juice?

si2787

Reputable
Mar 31, 2014
Older GPU is/was a GeForce 8400GS - at the time I only really used it for playing things like WoW, League and Football Manager so never really need to upgrade.

Airflow I know is a problem hence the new case, I only have/had 1 fan on the side, 1 on back, the PSU and the GPU fan.

si2787

Reputable
Mar 31, 2014

Ok so an update to my above problem.

I have installed everything into my new case including the new 750w PSU and it seems to be running a lot better (temperature wise) the inside of the case remains cool with nothing on the board feeling like they are overheating. 10x better airflow management in this case.

I have been trying to duplicate the issue I was having previously and after 2 days I have managed to do so (about 3/4 hours of gameplay) I was on Hearthstone last night and I had the on screen graphics start to jump and artefact (the game was still displayed but with parts of it jittering) and the loud popping/screeching noise was present again.

The game continued to play so I let it run to see what would happen , I could still interact with the screen etc. After about a minute the game crashed out and I had an ‘assertion failure in C++/Heartstone.exe’ pop onto the screen as dialogue box and I’m now not sure if there is an issue with the game causing it to crash or if this was a side effect of the graphics imploding?

If anyone has experienced something similar or found a solution to an issue like this I would be very grateful or if anyone has any suggestions I am willing to try anything because 8 months is a long time to be having a hit and miss graphics problem 

I am going to give a call to the supplier I bought the card from to see what they say but I’d rather not have to be without my card if they choose to replace it.

Thanks
(P.s. my posts seem to be getting removed from the forum – or at least I get an email saying that – apparently not following the rules? Can anyone tell me what rule exactly because frustrating that it keeps getting taken down?)

Si

COLGeek

Cybernaut
I think you are seeing some site glitches in reference to the messages you are seeing. Your posts appear to be fine.

It is still possible that your HD6670 is defective and that the better airflow simply keeps it cooler and therefor it fails to present the problem as often.

You could remove the 6670 and use your integrated video to see if the problem continues.

Solution

si2787

Reputable
Mar 31, 2014
hi,

thank you again for replyinh.

I have since removed the card and installed the old one. with curerntly no graphic failures (granted i'm not playing the same level or graphic intensive games) but those such as League which had previously crashed have not done so.

I contacted the supplier and advised the card is still faulty and they are prepared to offer me a completel refund on it, they dont have the card in stock anymore so no replacement available,

i'm goign to be buying an 7 260x 2GB - once i get that installed hopefully the problems stop but if I have a lot more work ahead of me :)

si2787

Reputable
Mar 31, 2014
ok so I'm back...I have gotten rid of the HD6670 and replaced with a MSI R7 250 2GB.... Installed it and uploaded all the up to date drivers...and BAM! it crashed in game again..

the glitches were not as bad as they were before but still happens to the point that I can't open IE for more than a few seconds before the graphics on screen start spazzing out.

Just as a note I installed my old 8400GS while waiting for the R7 and everything worked fine and 0 crashes. I played Hearthstone comfortably with no issues and I managed to get 3 games on the new card before it died and I Had to restart.

I really am at a loss as to what else it could be. Any suggestions?

COLGeek

Cybernaut
It might be time for a fresh install of Windows to work out the kinks. Since your old Nvidia Works well, I would think you have some driver issues. You could try using Driver Sweeper and removing all of the Nvidia and AMD/ATI drivers and then reinstalling only the current AMD drivers.

Otherwise, a fresh install with the new GPU might be the best long term solution.

http://www.guru3d.com/content_page/guru3d_driver_sweeper.html (new app called Display Driver Uninstaller)

si2787

Reputable
Mar 31, 2014

well funny you should say that, I did already have DDU and ran it before I installed the new driver. And windows was reinstalled maybe 3/4 weeks ago because I wanted to freshen it up. Is it possible there is a confliction with my Motherboard? ASROCK N68C-S UCC? I don't really want to have to reinstall windows again when it hasn't helped in the past :(

If I remove all the AMD drivers with DDU and reinstall them all from scratch that shudn't cause to many issues right? I removed NVidia but didn't bother with AMD because I didn't think I had any

si2787

Reputable
Mar 31, 2014

I've downloaded and saved in a folder the most recent AMD driver for my graphics card in addition to the stupid CCC that they send out (infact I think its bundled with the drivers) i'll give DDU another pass on the NVidia stuff (addition here, my board is an NVidia board or at least it comes with NVidia drivers, would these be in danger of getting removed?)

Once I've done the NVidia stuff i'll run it for AMD and then do a clean install of the drivers, I don't really want to reformat windows because I did that with the HD6670 that had this same crashing issue :(

si2787

Reputable
Mar 31, 2014

This is a link to the ASROCK page for my board;
http://www.asrock.com/mb/NVIDIA/N68C-S%20UCC/?cat=Specifications

and as far as i can see on this website I need the;

3/5/2010 - NVIDIA all in 1 driver ver:15.37 - this hasn#'t been updated since 2010 - could be an issue?

not sure about; VGA driver ver:190.38? - I do use a VGA monitor currently

si2787

Reputable
Mar 31, 2014
well it has been a few days since I installed the new card and removed all NVidia and AMD drivers then started from scratch. I did the new Bios update for the board and also the 14.4 AMD drivers for the card so I know everything is up to date.

I've not had any issues since then...until today, was playing Neverwinter for about 1 1/2 hours and then boom, did two skirmishes and both times the games crashed out to desktop, both times the desktop was still navigable but if I opened anything including IE I would get graphics glitches and crashes until I restarted.

this has been bugging me cause I've been able to get on Civ5, Empire Total War, Loadout and Hearthstone all for extended periods of time and 0 crashes.

the next logical step is a new motherboard and I've been looking at the below card as an alternative option

http://www.dabs.com/products/asrock-socket-am3--amd-960gc-gs-fx-ddr3-matx-90PS.html?refs=48750000&src=3

COLGeek

Cybernaut
I actually have a similar Asrock motherboard in my home server that runs 24/7, 365 with zero issues whatsoever. Great little workhorse component. I have been very happy with it. However, I would not recommend it (or the one you have chosen) for overclocking. Otherwise, it should be fine.

si2787

Reputable
Mar 31, 2014
Hiya, thanks for responding so quick. I wont be overclocking the board, I'm not that bothered as long as it runs cause the crashing has started properly now and actually has happened twice since I posted last :(. the board is the only option elft