Second 7770 or new R9 card?

kakistos153

Honorable
Sep 15, 2012
So I built this back in september for about $600:
http://pcpartpicker.com/user/kakistos153/saved/2r4D

I've since added an SSD which has been fantastic. But my bottleneck right now is most definitely my graphics card. As it stands I can run most games on high-ultra settings but some stuff hurts, like large quantities of particle effects, that sort of thing.

I was just wondering if I would get a bigger performance increase from crossfireing another one of those 2gb 7770 ghz edition cards or from upgrading to another single 1280 core card. Bearing in mind that cards 1280 core cards are about $250 and another 7770 would be about $130.

Longevity is certainly a concern but as we all know, most games are made for consoles and consoles hobble the potential graphical power of most games and the new generation of consoles seem to have the power of 5 year old PC's.

So yeah, 2x7770 for $130 or 1xR9 card for around $250?

kakistos153

Honorable
Sep 15, 2012
Oh, i thought i was being clever when i picked that board too. Frankly its given me nothing but problems since day one though. Its probably the next thing i'm going to replace after the graphics card. So it would be wise to get a new graphics card and pick out my next board with a better understanding of crossfire and crossfire that new card. Where do you see what kind of crossfire configuration a motherboard supports though?

Apparently that 7770 is just one model behind some big leap forward AMD made and while it seemed like it was the low end of the new tier at the time it was actually just the high end of the old tier. So instead of mediocre and cheap it was actually kinda shitty and expensive.

Thanks for the reply.

kakistos153

Honorable
Sep 15, 2012

Was actually wondering about that. I've heard mixed things about using an AMD processor with Nvidia graphics, some say its the way to go for gaming. Would that be right or does it really make any difference?