800-900$ i7- 4770k build

munozfernando92

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2011
So, I want to build a system with an i7 4770k.

Here is what I want:

A motherboard with SLI support. (I want to pop in eventually a 780 ti in a month or two, and perhaps even a second one in a year or so. (Ive been looking at ROG motherboards and they look promising)).

A PSU with enough power for this( eventual setup).^^^

A SSD as my primary hard drive.(Probably around 120+ gb capacity).

I have an optical drive and HDD already.

Im new to building computers, but I really want a computer that has tons of future potential. I know the 4770k will let me juice it more, but as such, I want a capable CPU cooler for moderate OCing.

Id like 8 gig sticks of RAM, so ideally 16 gigs for starters, but if not, then an 8 gig stick for starters.

Last thing, I would love if the motherboard came with an optical port for my 7.1 surround system. If not, no biggie, But if thats the case, then the motherboard should have room for a sound card.

Thanks in advance.

dont waste ur money on a 4770k. This month is supposed to be the release of the replacement stuff for the 4770k. Devils canyon. I just returned asus board and 4770k yesterday.

http://www.tomshardware.com/news/intel-haswell-e-devils-canyon-pentium-anniversary-edition-broadwell,26326.html

the 4770k is a rather hot cpu and doesnt overclock as good as it should. Thats intels fault for using crappy TIM on the cpu. Devils canyon is supposed to be from what i have understood a good improvement over the current.

and how much did you spend on the cooler you are using? The 4770k compared to lets say SB.......SB clocked WAY better and was WAY easier to keep cool. The 4770k (haswell in general) get hotter then their previous brothers and sisters. Seems alot of people cant break 4.4 unless they are under water or have an insanely high end air cooler. Point is the new cpu's are already gauged to be out in the month or 2. The mobo's are supposed to start being released in that time frame anyway so i cant imagine the cpu's will be far behind. Im just saying it makes more sense to wait. Why buy something now thats going to be replaced in what? 2 months maybe sooner?

munozfernando92

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2011
Im pretty set on the 4770k. And I was looking at that V8 GTS earlier, and its on sale for like 80$ after rebates. Will let me do some nice OCing? And I guess my question is highly centered around a MOBO. Any MOBO recommendations?

Asus is what i went with before i took back my 4770k. Asus is who i will go with when haswell-e hits or possibly the devils canyon. Either way they are addressing the poor TIM that the 4770k has on it and changed it specifically to something better to help with heat and allow better overclocking. The new TIM is said to have dropped temps 10-15 degress celsius.