FX 8350 and Hyper 212 Evo ~ 55 C + idle

WaKy

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2014
Hello fellows , i turn to you in the hope for a solution.

I've recently built myself a new rig with the following specs:

CPU: Amd FX 8350

PSU: Corsair CX600

RAM: 16 Gb Kingston Hyper X Beast @ 1600 Mhz

GPU: GeForce GTX 770 1098 MHz 2048 Mo (by MSI)

Motherboard: Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3 (Rev 4)
- Recently updated bios (after the overheating problems started)

Cooling: CM Hyper 212 Evo + Artic MX 2
Stock Cooler @ Front - Intake
Stock Cooler @ Back - Exhaust
Corsair AF140 Silent Edition (x 2)

- As intake for side pannel.

Storage: Crucial M500 120 GB SSD
WD Black 2 To 64Mb Cache
Case : Corsair Carbide 300R

A couple of days ago my rig started to overheat out of nowhere.
I am not OC'ing at all i am running @ 1.260 Vcore (tryed to undervolt from 1.4 what was as default, thinking i can reduce heat to no avail) with most settings in Bios set manually to the stock values.
Tryed to disable Turbo/CnQ/C6 ..etc. No succes same story.
I moved on at reseating the 212 and reaplying the Artic MX 2 multiple times ( i am not that new to pc building but hey everyone can go wrong) again no succes.
After heavy reading on the forum here and some other places on the net ( literealy the past 3 days i've done only this) i took in consideration adding more cooling to my case so i've already ordered 2 Corsair SP120 to set a P/P for the CM Hyper Evo since it's currently in a pull config.
Even ordered AS5 even though i know it doesnt make that much of a difference.

I've just finished fully scanning my computer with : AVG / Malwarebytes / Hitman Pro nothing changed in temps.

Room temp is @ 21-22 C with plenty of space for the case to "breath" + It is not directly on the floor (5 cm elevated).

My frustration grows bigger and bigger as i can't trace the culprit !

A possible lead : I've monitored my cores and there are random 100 % and above usage spikes even after a restart w/o loading anything. This seem to happen in a pattern either Core 0 / 2 and 4/6 or in other similar patterns but never on a single core.

All help is highly appreciated !

Solution
Yeah you've tried pretty much everything you can. There are three things to do to find out the culprit.

Starting with the easiest: 1. Replace the CPU cooler with pretty much anything but the stock cooler (If it's not the cooler, using the stock cooler might fry your chip).
2. Replace the CPU with any other CPu that has the same power requirement (it would be good to use the same chip though).
3.As Beezy suggested, replace your motherboard. This is almost guaranteed to be the cause of this problem if options 1 and 2 did nothing.
Welcome to Tom's Hardware Forums!

Make sure that the heatsink is properly fastened to the CPU. Tighten in a cross pattern. If the problem persists, re-seat the CPU/heatsink per accepted procedures using good thermal compound. Clean surfaces carefully using 70% isopropyl alcohol.

WaKy

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2014
@ Ubrales I've done that already ( sorry i accidentaly posted the thread before finishing it)

@ i7Baby Non OC / and under-volted.

I would like to add that i've use this setup for about 1 month with good stable temps(35 C Idle and 59 C Prime Stress Testing for 6 hours).

Yes, the "35 C Idle and 59 C Prime Stress Testing" is what it should be with a Hyper 212 EVO. I have the Hyper 212 EVO and these are the temps I get.

A defective fan (slower RPMs) or a loose heatsink can cause temps issues. It don't hurt to check this again.

WaKy

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2014

Thanks for your fast response , how can i check if a fan does its job properly?
Other then observing it spin and use HWmonitor to see RPM's.
I have reseated the Evo just a couple of hours ago . But hell as you just said i will check again and come back with a reply!

Edit: Yes seems to be well tightened.

WaKy

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2014
Didn't think of this , would have been great but no there's still a little bit of room left .

P.S: I am freezing here ( windows wide open) - the only way i can use my pc without being afraid of going POOF ! Any other suggestions ?

WaKy

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2014

RealTemp returned me an error "The processor detected is not supported." wich is rather weird.
So i decided to use multiple Temp Monitoring software to make sure the actual temps are real.

Screen here

if you go buy an ASUS M5a99FX pro motherboard i bet the problem will be fixed. Id take 6 ASUS Vrms over 8 Gigabute UD3 VRMs any day, theyre higher quality. the way you describe it, "suddenly" overheating, makes me think maybe a VRM failed and nows its overheating. I was thinking the thermal paste application might be bad, maybe the cooler needs tightening or loosening

WaKy

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2014
Actually i might just to this ! Is there any way of checking if a Vrm is faulty ? (Before i order a new mobo) Last time i checked temps were at 60 C @ idle on the NorthBridge . No ideea how hot or cool should run .
As for thermal paste application i've used the pea method ever since i started building.
Loosening is something i havent tryed yet i will give that ago right now ! Thank you very much for your insight !

Yeah you've tried pretty much everything you can. There are three things to do to find out the culprit.

Starting with the easiest: 1. Replace the CPU cooler with pretty much anything but the stock cooler (If it's not the cooler, using the stock cooler might fry your chip).
2. Replace the CPU with any other CPu that has the same power requirement (it would be good to use the same chip though).
3.As Beezy suggested, replace your motherboard. This is almost guaranteed to be the cause of this problem if options 1 and 2 did nothing.

Solution

WaKy

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2014

Well the board is Rev 4 and normaly the latest ! But heck the 30 days from amazon just expired so i cant return it !

Edit: Can you guys recommend some mobos in the 170 Euros budget.

I am looking for stability and maybe for later some OC room.

Thanks for droping by Eduello !

M5A99FX PRO 2.0 (990 chipset is a bit better for OC and it can handle SLI/Xfire, has 6 power phases for the CPU)
M5A97 EVO (harder to find now a days, 970 chipset for single GPU solutions, but has 6 Power phases for the CPU as well)

While I realize the Gigabytes have 8 VRMs vs the 6 on the ASUS boards, but ASUS VRMs are much better quality. Think of it this way, it only takes 6 asus VRMS where it takes 8 gigabyte to give the same results.

the sabertooth is wonderful. Its only real benefit though is ability to give you MAX overclock..in my honesty opinion with liquid cooling and two GPU's, then you need the sabertooth. For a single GPU and a medium overclock the 970 EVO or 990FX pro are perfectly fine. The EVO 212 Cooler will cap around 4.5 Ghz anyways, and the 6 VRMs match that. 8 or 12 will be good for the 5.0Ghz + rigs. Still the build quality is fantastic on the sabertooth, and you can go "wrong" with it.

WaKy

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2014
Okay thanks for the feedback ! Then i will look for a Sabertooth as i will change cooling in the near future aswell.
As for now i will follow Eduello's advice and try to find the exact part to blame and if is the mobo ( i suspect so too) then it;s clear as day new mobo incomming !

WaKy

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2014
Okay so here's an update ! I took my pc to a renowned Pc shop in the town i am living in and they told me the temps i am getting are completly fine !
Still runing at 53 C while only posting this ! They reaplyed the thermal compound (AGAIN) just to tell me that this is how AMD's are running !
I really dont know what to belive anymore ! Already ordered a new mobo hope that's the issues cuz if not i will have two mobo's .... for nothing !

I have an FX 8320 with my fsb at 215 and 4.4 ghz under load, balanced power saving mode in control panel and while typing this CoreTemp reports 29C. At idle its drops to 19C. I know temps arent accurate until you hit 40C but still...youve got a problem. Using a Hyper 212 EVO.