Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

1st time RAIDer...help??? (raid 1)

Last response: in Storage
Share
April 2, 2014 4:25:49 AM

i currently have 2 hdds, one 80gb one 40gb.

1. do i have to delete everything on both disks (and back up to some other drive, obviously) before i start?

i have aomei part. ass. and win 7 disk man.

i recently "copied" disk 1 to disk 2 with aomei, so right now their (nearly, at least) identical but i want to raid 1 (i think) because i want them to sync automatically

More about : 1st time raider raid

Related resources
a c 119 G Storage
April 2, 2014 4:35:04 AM

spoofer2 said:
Ubrales said:
Read this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RAID


i have read a lot about raid. i have a specific question.


It is best to have identical make, model, and capacity disks for RAID1. This will minimize problems arising from RAID1 (or other arrays).
m
0
l
a b G Storage
April 2, 2014 4:38:54 AM

You dont have to delete anything, when you create the array all the data on both disks will be destroyed. Since this is a basic fundamental regarding raid arrays, you apparently have read very little.
m
0
l
April 2, 2014 4:44:37 AM

so let me ask you this: can i create a partition on one of the disks, move all data to that partition, and then raid them, thus allowing me to do it without putting the data on a THIRD drive, or is it necessary to completly wipe both disks for raid to be possible
m
0
l

Best solution

a c 119 G Storage
April 2, 2014 4:47:04 AM

spoofer2 said:
so let me ask you this: can i create a partition on one of the disks, move all data to that partition, and then raid them, thus allowing me to do it without putting the data on a THIRD drive, or is it necessary to completly wipe both disks for raid to be possible


You need to save everything you want on another (third) drive.
Share
April 2, 2014 4:52:46 AM

Ubrales said:
spoofer2 said:
so let me ask you this: can i create a partition on one of the disks, move all data to that partition, and then raid them, thus allowing me to do it without putting the data on a THIRD drive, or is it necessary to completly wipe both disks for raid to be possible


You need to save everything you want on another (third) drive.


one more question, i already made both of my disks dynamic because i thought it was one of the first steps...does this mean i will have any decreased functionality if i do not continue with the raid (since i dont have a third drive that big) or will everything be pretty much the same
m
0
l
a c 119 G Storage
April 2, 2014 5:01:41 AM

Just format them NTFS and use then as-is.

When you build a RAID1 array it will give you step-by-step guidance. As you know RAID1 is mirroring and is safer in case one disk fails (and it will happen sooner or later).

One important thing I must mention is that RAID1 is not a substitute for regular and frequent backups. Please backup your computer to an external hard disk.
m
0
l
April 2, 2014 5:07:59 AM

Ubrales said:
Just format them NTFS and use then as-is.

When you build a RAID1 array it will give you step-by-step guidance. As you know RAID1 is mirroring and is safer in case one disk fails (and it will happen sooner or later).

One important thing I must mention is that RAID1 is not a substitute for regular and frequent backups. Please backup your computer to an external hard disk.


one more thing, what if i "mount" the smaller drive as a folder in the other? would this put any info i put into said folder in both disks?
m
0
l
a c 119 G Storage
April 2, 2014 5:20:40 AM

spoofer2 said:
Ubrales said:
Just format them NTFS and use then as-is.

When you build a RAID1 array it will give you step-by-step guidance. As you know RAID1 is mirroring and is safer in case one disk fails (and it will happen sooner or later).

One important thing I must mention is that RAID1 is not a substitute for regular and frequent backups. Please backup your computer to an external hard disk.


one more thing, what if i "mount" the smaller drive as a folder in the other? would this put any info i put into said folder in both disks?


No. Only RAID1 and other mirroring RAID (more than two disks) will do that.
m
0
l
a b G Storage
April 2, 2014 8:57:12 AM

Do not use RAID for a backup solution. RAID will only protect you from a failed disk, it will not protect from any of the common causes of lost data (virus, corruption accidrntal deletion, etc.) Anything that happens to your data on 1 disc, happens on the other. It does not matter what you do with the disks prior to building the array. The raid controller bios will have all options for formatting the drives prior to establishing the array, and everything, including any partions or data will be destroyed and overwritten by the controller during setup. If you use a 40 gig drive and an 80 gig drive, you will end up with a mirrored set of 40 gig drives. The additional 40 gigs on 80 gig drive is not available to be used.
m
0
l
!