• Networking
  • Ethernet Switch
  • Routers
  • Connection
  • Ethernet Card
Last response: in Networking
April 2, 2014 6:57:02 AM

Hi Everyone,

Extremely noob question here, but I'm wondering if a 10/100mbps switch is enough to connect my macbook air + TB display, desktop PC, and PS4 to my router or if I need to instead get a gigabit switch.

The wireless router that I received from my ISP suffers from intermittent connectivity loss and slows my connection considerably, and I'd much prefer to have wired connections from my devices to the router for the sake of reliability and speed. I use my devices mostly for streaming and gaming. I'm NOT looking to connect the devices in a LAN and share files between them. I simply want a solid connection to the internet. Thoughts?

Thanks!

More about : 100 gigabit ethernet switch connection internet

April 2, 2014 7:01:01 AM

As long as your switch is as fast or faster than your internet connection you will be fine. I doubt you have over a 100Mbit internet connection so a 100Mbit switch would work fine.
m
l
April 2, 2014 7:01:20 AM

it will do good . cause 10/100 ethernet switch can do enough for your requirements . . but if wanna go further you can buy gigabit switch but it is not required . .
m
l
Related resources

Best solution

April 2, 2014 7:14:16 AM

As has already been pointed out, if your internet connection is not above 100 mbps and your don't plan to do any intensive media transfers between devices on your own network I'd just get the 10/100. You may benefit from a gigabit switch, although both devices would need a gigabit Ethernet port to actually take advantage of that. Personally I have a 10/100 and it works fine for me, so I'll say to just save the bucks and get it instead.
April 2, 2014 7:30:00 AM

Thanks everyone! Yeah I just have a 50Mb/6Mb connection, so I'll go ahead and pick up a 10/100.
m
l