Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Bad PSU? Or bad mobo?

Tags:
  • Components
Last response: in Components
Share
April 2, 2014 7:05:40 AM

i5 2500k stock speed
GIGABYTE GA-P67A-UD3-B3
8 GB RAM Crucial Ballistix 1600Mhz
1TB Samsung SATA HDD
nVidia 560ti MSI TwinFrozr
Corsair 550vx PSU (quite old probably 4-5 years)

PC has been working perfectly fine until today.

I woke up this morning and decided to clean my PC as I always do with a can of air to dust it, made sure none of the liquid came out, I don't tilt the can. I also used a brush to brush fans clean and other components. Then when I hooked it up again the PC would not respond to the power button, I unplugged it and made sure everything was as it should be connection wise and tried again, still nothing.

After pressing the button a few more times it turned on but the PC didn't post, no beeps, everything else had power but the HDD activity light stays off too, I hear them spin up though. The light on the MOBO (phase LED #1) comes on, but doesn't budge from there. When I press the power button when it's on it turns off and doesn't come on again unless I press the power button many times.

I also noticed the PSU makes a buzzing noise while its plugged in, on or off. No burning smell.

I'm about to go get a PSU to see if a new one will fix it, but would you guys have any ideas on what it is? Do you think in the process of cleaning something might have happened?

More about : bad psu bad mobo

April 2, 2014 7:09:54 AM

dismantle all your parts and then assemble again . maybe you accidently did something wrong
m
1
l
April 2, 2014 7:18:04 AM

STACKS ON DECK said:
dismantle all your parts and then assemble again . maybe you accidently did something wrong


'
Thing is I didn't dismantle anything other than taking out a couple fans to clean the blades, their connectors didn't come loose or anything. I double checked the 8 pin and 24 pin MOBO connectors and they're in fine, I tried to turn on the PC without the RAM but it just doesn't respond to the power button unless I try many times, even so like I said it just sits there, no POST or beeps.

I'll try to do that though.
m
0
l
Related resources
April 2, 2014 7:24:22 AM

The Buzzing is troubling so maybe you are right on the PSU but reseat all power connectors and data cables first.
m
1
l
April 2, 2014 9:14:49 AM

I just got a new Coolmax 700w 12v single rail at 52amps and tried it out, still doesnt turn on until I press power button multiple times and when it does the PC doesnt POST
m
0
l
April 2, 2014 9:18:47 AM

Well that could just be Coolmax which should be avoided, then again reseating everything and if no help most likely motherboard if you can confirm either of the PSU's works.
m
1
l
April 2, 2014 9:29:58 AM

I took out the RAM and turned the PC on and no beeps or anything. Switched RAM to another pair I had upgraded from a while back, still nothing.
m
0
l
April 2, 2014 9:32:02 AM

rolli59 said:
Well that could just be Coolmax which should be avoided, then again reseating everything and if no help most likely motherboard if you can confirm either of the PSU's works.


Yeah I'm returning it, I just wanted to see if it was the PSU. A man at the PC parts store hooked up my Corsair to a tester and it was reading 4volts where it should be at 5volts and it also didn't respond immediately when he flipped the switch.
m
0
l
April 2, 2014 9:33:51 AM

Cavalierhero said:
I took out the RAM and turned the PC on and no beeps or anything. Switched RAM to another pair I had upgraded from a while back, still nothing.


If you have a mobo speaker and no beeps likely bad board if it gets that far in the boot cycle!
m
1
l
April 2, 2014 9:46:35 AM

rolli59 said:
Cavalierhero said:
I took out the RAM and turned the PC on and no beeps or anything. Switched RAM to another pair I had upgraded from a while back, still nothing.


If you have a mobo speaker and no beeps likely bad board if it gets that far in the boot cycle!


Yeah figures, it turns on, HDDs spin up, Phase 1 LED on MOBO lights up, and nothing. It has speaker because I've heard it beep.
Well it might be that both PSU and MOBO are bad I guess. I'm gonna have to hit up Newegg and look for Sandybridge mobos they might have left over.
m
0
l
April 2, 2014 11:30:42 AM

Any Z77 board will work with your CPU.
m
1
l
!