Sign-in / Sign-up
Your question

Acer Aspire 4740G Suddenly Shuts down while playing games

Tags:
  • Intel
  • Laptops
  • GPUs
  • Games
  • Components
  • Nvidia
  • Aspire
  • Acer
Last response: in Components
April 3, 2014 1:19:45 AM

Hello guys I have an Acer Aspire 4740G Laptop and when i play games my laptop shuts down automatically lets say the point where i mostly enjoy the game. My laptop shutsdown lik 10-15 minutes. I tried measuring temperature of my GPU it shows 70 Celsius while playing games.I'm really confused because i got a GPU and i cant believe my pc shutsdown because of high temperature.I tried lowering the settings to the most but still it shuts down.Here are my most infos:

Brand : Acer
Model : Aspire 4740G
GPU : NVIDIA GeForce 310M with CUDA (512MB)
Processor : Intel Core i3
GPU Temp : Idle/Surfing the Internet = 60-64 Celsius
In-Game = 70-71 Celsius

Games that i played and then my laptop shutsdown
-GTA IV (Extremely low graphic setting)
-Starcraft 2
-Red Alert 3
-Castlevania Lord of Shadow 2
-Rayman Legends

And also Burnout Paradise Ultimate Box the only game that my laptop doesnt shutsdown seems a mystery for me hahahah. Please help me

More about : acer aspire 4740g suddenly shuts playing games

a b å Intel
a b Î Nvidia
April 3, 2014 2:20:48 AM

its never a good idea to use laptop to playing games
overtemp isues by closed area and ventilation problem
m
0
l
April 3, 2014 3:07:08 AM

badboyrog2 said:
its never a good idea to use laptop to playing games
overtemp isues by closed area and ventilation problem


I think Acer would never include a famous gpu in a laptop if it is not meant for gaming. But thanks for answering.I need more accurate answer
m
0
l
Related resources
April 3, 2014 3:12:12 AM

How about your CPU's temps? From the looks of it, it's definitely shutting down because something's overheating. Do you have a notebook cooler?
m
0
l
April 3, 2014 3:18:51 AM

breakfastdude said:
How about your CPU's temps? From the looks of it, it's definitely shutting down because something's overheating. Do you have a notebook cooler?


I dont have a cooler but I always check the fans if there are dusts before starting a game. i also tried of closing all non-windows processes before starting a game.Thanks for answering. I tried researching in youtube for geforce 310m gameplays. I think the gpu is the problem.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j1do-Xslh6A&list=PLBED7...
m
0
l
April 3, 2014 3:29:19 AM

If you've never had your laptop cleaned from the inside, I suggest cleaning it. While you're at it, change the thermal compound, too. Cleaning/checking the fans from the outside of the chassis can only do so much. If you're not confident doing it yourself, you can have an experienced tech guy do it for you.

Case in point, my old laptop used to shut down while playing games, even though it looks like the fans and the vents were clean from the outside. When I opened it up for the first time (I've had it for two years by then) I discovered that the heatsink was so full of dust there was no way sufficient air was passing through it. Cleaned it up, and I never had the problem since (of course I cleaned it regularly from then on).
m
0
l
April 3, 2014 3:34:41 AM

breakfastdude said:
If you've never had your laptop cleaned from the inside, I suggest cleaning it. While you're at it, change the thermal compound, too. Cleaning/checking the fans from the outside of the chassis can only do so much. If you're not confident doing it yourself, you can have an experienced tech guy do it for you.

Case in point, my old laptop used to shut down while playing games, even though it looks like the fans and the vents were clean from the outside. When I opened it up for the first time (I've had it for two years by then) I discovered that the heatsink was so full of dust there was no way sufficient air was passing through it. Cleaned it up, and I never had the problem since (of course I cleaned it regularly from then on).


I think your answer is right but I think i must buy a cooler for my laptop is it advisable? Will it greatly reduce the temperature of my laptop?

m
0
l
April 3, 2014 3:44:53 AM

Laptop coolers aren't really effective. The reality is a laptop cooler won't be able to greatly reduce the temperatures of your laptop, but it might help. Plus, cheapo laptop coolers usually don't help at all (trust me, I've been through some), and the most effective one I know is the Cooler Master Notepal U3 (or U2 if the U3 is too big for your laptop).

For the price of a decent laptop cooler though, I'd rather spend it on having the laptop serviced/cleaned internally. That will greatly help in reducing temperatures, trust me. With a laptop cooler, you're just delaying your problems. Soon enough, the overheating problems will come back once your laptop's internals are too full of dust.
m
0
l
April 3, 2014 5:57:07 AM

breakfastdude said:
Laptop coolers aren't really effective. The reality is a laptop cooler won't be able to greatly reduce the temperatures of your laptop, but it might help. Plus, cheapo laptop coolers usually don't help at all (trust me, I've been through some), and the most effective one I know is the Cooler Master Notepal U3 (or U2 if the U3 is too big for your laptop).

For the price of a decent laptop cooler though, I'd rather spend it on having the laptop serviced/cleaned internally. That will greatly help in reducing temperatures, trust me. With a laptop cooler, you're just delaying your problems. Soon enough, the overheating problems will come back once your laptop's internals are too full of dust.


So you the main problem is the dust from the laptop fan. Thank you for your answer
m
0
l
April 8, 2014 9:05:11 AM

TeamPinoy said:
breakfastdude said:
Laptop coolers aren't really effective. The reality is a laptop cooler won't be able to greatly reduce the temperatures of your laptop, but it might help. Plus, cheapo laptop coolers usually don't help at all (trust me, I've been through some), and the most effective one I know is the Cooler Master Notepal U3 (or U2 if the U3 is too big for your laptop).

For the price of a decent laptop cooler though, I'd rather spend it on having the laptop serviced/cleaned internally. That will greatly help in reducing temperatures, trust me. With a laptop cooler, you're just delaying your problems. Soon enough, the overheating problems will come back once your laptop's internals are too full of dust.


So you the main problem is the dust from the laptop fan. Thank you for your answer


hi,,i have the same problem,,if you managed to fix your problem,,please tell me how you did it,,my email is leandrosolomons@gmail.com,,thanx
m
0
l
April 8, 2014 9:06:52 AM

hi,,i have the same problem,,if you managed to fix your problem,,please tell me how you did it,,my email is leandrosolomons@gmail.com,,thanx
m
0
l