802.11ac wireless adapter not working with dual band 802.11n router

buddyisdeath

Honorable
Nov 18, 2013
I recently bought an Edimax EW-7811UTC dual-band USB network adapter. I bought it because I wanted to access the 5Ghz band of my dual-band 802.11n router. I downloaded the necessary driver and plugged the module in to my computer. Here's the problem. I am able to connect to the 2.4Ghz band but it is not able to see the 5Ghz band. I know for a fact that the 2.4 and 5Ghz bands are on separate SSIDs and every other device we have (ipad,iphone,mac book) is able to connect to the 5Ghz band. I have already RMAd the product once and this is my second time buying it but I still have the same problem. I contacted support the first time and the person said it was a defective product. I am running windows 7. Any help is appreciated.

According to the specs, it should work on N at 5GHz. Check for updated drivers off their support page if you used drivers from a CD in the box. Or return it and try a different product since you already contacted their support about it and continue to have the same issue.

There is a thing on a newegg comment that may help you.
"Cons: Could not connect to router on the upper 5GHz channels (149-161) only the lower channels (36-48) and at a much slower transfer rate.

Manufacturer Response:

Dear Customer,

We are sorry for the difficulty you are experiencing.

Can you check the AC1200 adapter property in Device Manager. There is a country region setting for 5Ghz. Can you make sure the channel 161 is included? You may see the attached image. We confirmed our adapter support channel 149-161 by default value.

The throughput issue could be caused by the QoS setting. The EW-7822UAC adapter by default has QoS enabled. If your WiFi router has QoS enabled, the throughput of EW-7822UAC could be restricted.

Please contact our tech support at (408)988-6092 or write an email to " support@edimax.us ". Our tech support team will assist you with the issue. We look forward to the opportunity to serve you.

Best regards,
Edimax Tech Support Team

Related File(s):
jpg5Gchannel.jpg "

gttommy

Commendable
Feb 28, 2016
While I know the issue is with a 5GHz N-wireless, I had the same issue with my 5GHGz AC-wireless dongle. Bought it off a Chinese seller on eBay.
hang-the-9's suggestion around changing the country region setting solved it !