Sign-in / Sign-up
Your question
Solved

i5 4670k manage to OC 4.3ghz but with higher core voltage then usual, questions

Tags:
  • Overclocking
  • Core
  • Intel i5
  • Chip
  • 4.3ghz
  • i5 4670k
  • h100i
Last response: in Overclocking
April 3, 2014 7:01:01 PM

Hello community, i gotta say sorry, because there are plenty of threads regarding oc problems and stuffs with this processor ( i5 4670k ) and i have read plenty of threads, but as i were reading i seen people mention every chip is different, some people have luck to get quality chip and good for overclocking, and some not.
So my journey to overclocking begins today, as i replaced 212 evo with h100i so i was thinking why not to oc it :)  As am doing this first time, i have read and watched vids whole day, till now late at night to give it a try.

First of all i started with 4.3ghz i changed Multiplier to x43 and i started changing core voltage to see at what point i will be able to boot my pc. (1.250 boot and crash, 1.260 boot and crash after a i open 2-3 programs,1.270 and till, i got to 1.299 or 1.3 core voltage booted normally all fine and currently running, Aida64 system stability test 20minuts without crashing)

Temperatures are pretty normal i think considering its still running this stability test:


So i see the strange thing is that temperatures are not high as i seen on other threads, considering i got to 1.3 core voltage?

Is there anything else i need to adjust in bios as i only changed, Multiplier and Core voltage, maybe something to tune down core voltage a bit?

I would need some tips, as i could say am newbie in tho overclocking, but i find it interesting.

Spec:
i5 4670k + h100i
mob: msi z87 g55
12gb ddr3 kingston hyper x blue 1600mhz
if other parts are needed ill add them up.


Thanks, every1!


Edit: as i just published this thread, pc crashed, lucky i posted all this text i was writing!

More about : 4670k manage 3ghz higher core voltage usual questions

a c 137 K Overclocking
April 4, 2014 1:27:34 AM

your temps are very good for such voltage. h100i is a very capable watercooling solution. anyway temps below 75c are considered safe. make sure you have llc(load line calibration) increased, it will help stability! also you could start again with with stock speed and voltage set to manual only increase multiplier to determine your cpu ability. try 40x 100 if it cant even boot then you didnt get so lucky with the particular cpu.start by increasing voltage by 0.005v till you get it stable. this way you will make sure you get the actually voltage needed! also why you have 3x4ram modules? you should have 2x4 or 4x4 for dual channel config!
m
1
l
a c 148 K Overclocking
April 4, 2014 2:02:58 AM

A common misconception is that a high voltage damages the processor; this isn't strictly true, the associated increase in heat is the real danger. As long as you can keep the temperature at an acceptable level there's no reason why you can't increase the voltage.

The 65C temperature in your results is well within the generally-accepted 75C maximum. Don't worry about increasing the voltage, just make sure the temperature doesn't exceed 75C. The H100i is a very good cooler.

Overclocking is really just a case of changing the CPU multiplier and (voltage) VCORE, everything else can be left at its default setting.
m
2
l
Related resources
April 4, 2014 2:42:30 AM

chris987 said:
your temps are very good for such voltage. h100i is a very capable watercooling solution. anyway temps below 75c are considered safe. make sure you have llc(load line calibration) increased, it will help stability! also you could start again with with stock speed and voltage set to manual only increase multiplier to determine your cpu ability. try 40x 100 if it cant even boot then you didnt get so lucky with the particular cpu.start by increasing voltage by 0.005v till you get it stable. this way you will make sure you get the actually voltage needed! also why you have 3x4ram modules? you should have 2x4 or 4x4 for dual channel config!


Thanks for replay, i will give it a try now. I have 2x memory sticks, but one is 4gb and another is 8gb :/ 

Edit: I have set voltage on auto as it was before, and just raised multiplier to x40 at 4.0ghz and booted up normally, and running Aida64 system stability test for 1hour already while browsing web without any crash. I guess i can move on from here to higher multiplier, but what confuse me, that i had to add that much voltage to 1.3 to get at 4.3ghz with crashing..
m
0
l
April 4, 2014 3:39:02 AM

bicycle_repair_man said:
A common misconception is that a high voltage damages the processor; this isn't strictly true, the associated increase in heat is the real danger. As long as you can keep the temperature at an acceptable level there's no reason why you can't increase the voltage.

The 65C temperature in your results is well within the generally-accepted 75C maximum. Don't worry about increasing the voltage, just make sure the temperature doesn't exceed 75C. The H100i is a very good cooler.

Overclocking is really just a case of changing the CPU multiplier and (voltage) VCORE, everything else can be left at its default setting.


Thanks for the helpful information bud!
m
0
l
a c 148 K Overclocking
April 4, 2014 4:17:29 AM

A 4Ghz overclock isn't very high, so automatic voltage is absolutely fine. If you increase the multiplier and need to make a significant increase in voltage to get the PC stable, you've reached the peak of the processor's overclocking capability.
m
0
l
a c 137 K Overclocking
April 4, 2014 7:03:31 AM

stefanode said:
chris987 said:
your temps are very good for such voltage. h100i is a very capable watercooling solution. anyway temps below 75c are considered safe. make sure you have llc(load line calibration) increased, it will help stability! also you could start again with with stock speed and voltage set to manual only increase multiplier to determine your cpu ability. try 40x 100 if it cant even boot then you didnt get so lucky with the particular cpu.start by increasing voltage by 0.005v till you get it stable. this way you will make sure you get the actually voltage needed! also why you have 3x4ram modules? you should have 2x4 or 4x4 for dual channel config!


Thanks for replay, i will give it a try now. I have 2x memory sticks, but one is 4gb and another is 8gb :/ 

Edit: I have set voltage on auto as it was before, and just raised multiplier to x40 at 4.0ghz and booted up normally, and running Aida64 system stability test for 1hour already while browsing web without any crash. I guess i can move on from here to higher multiplier, but what confuse me, that i had to add that much voltage to 1.3 to get at 4.3ghz with crashing..


always use manual voltage. auto voltage will always run higher. make sure you have increased llc to highest level. about your ram isnt running in dual channel since you dont have even pairs!
m
0
l
April 4, 2014 8:38:08 AM


i cant find anywhere in my bios LLC option, so i can move on, also about ram, what should i do, you confused me now
m
0
l
a c 137 K Overclocking
April 4, 2014 11:05:35 AM

load line clalibration would be somewere in thp cpu/power management options depending uefi bios. to run memory modules in dual channel you need 2x or 4x modules of the same size and specs (Mhz-voltage-timings) since you have a dual channel memory controller mobo(z87)
m
0
l
April 6, 2014 7:14:21 PM

chris987 said:
load line clalibration would be somewere in thp cpu/power management options depending uefi bios. to run memory modules in dual channel you need 2x or 4x modules of the same size and specs (Mhz-voltage-timings) since you have a dual channel memory controller mobo(z87)


i couldn't find it anywhere in entire bios... How ever, i had problems with my fans setup, so i didn't try any overclocks until i solve that issue. But now when temperatures are better, ill give it a try tomorrow. :) 
m
0
l
April 12, 2014 3:02:02 AM

Still didn't find LLC no where in my bios, i read some where its under VDroop Control but i couldn't find that also. So today as i have some time to play with my oc settings, am going to get some nice oc speed hopefully. Currently iam running Aida64 extreme cpu stress test.


And got a couple of questions, why does task manager says 5.17Ghz, and what should i do if system crash after few hours or less while running cpu stress test, do i need to increase voltage a bit?
m
0
l

Best solution

a c 137 K Overclocking
April 12, 2014 5:35:00 AM

obviously 5.17 is a false reading since 42x100=4200mhz. cpu z is correct.!1.22v should be enough.if on the other hand fails while stress test or run into errors, a 0.005v more will be enough!
Share
April 12, 2014 7:28:43 AM

Thank you Chris, i added 0.005v more to vcore. And gonna test it a bit to see how stable is. As for future overclocking on 4.3 and so on, how much voltage should i consider to increase, from current?
m
0
l
a c 137 K Overclocking
April 12, 2014 7:49:14 AM

stefanode said:
Thank you Chris, i added 0.005v more to vcore. And gonna test it a bit to see how stable is. As for future overclocking on 4.3 and so on, how much voltage should i consider to increase, from current?


as bicycle_repair_man mentioned erlier you can increase voltage as long as temps dont exceed 75c which is considered safe for 24/7 use. while stress testing you may exceed even 80c but that doesnt reflect on every day cpu usage which rarely reaches 100% under any game or aplication for a long period of time!
m
0
l
April 12, 2014 10:04:22 AM

chris987 said:
stefanode said:
Thank you Chris, i added 0.005v more to vcore. And gonna test it a bit to see how stable is. As for future overclocking on 4.3 and so on, how much voltage should i consider to increase, from current?


as bicycle_repair_man mentioned erlier you can increase voltage as long as temps dont exceed 75c which is considered safe for 24/7 use. while stress testing you may exceed even 80c but that doesnt reflect on every day cpu usage which rarely reaches 100% under any game or aplication for a long period of time!


Yeah i forgot to scroll up this thread, as been a while when i created it. So far, i found that on MSI motherboards in this case msi z87 g55 Load line calibration is actually hidden and its called Vdroop control under OC>power settings, so i set that on 100%. i tryed also to overclock it more then just 4.2Ghz but i guess i was not that lucky to get good chip. I tryed 4.3, 4.4, 4.5ghz and i vent to 1.370+ on core voltage, and couldn't start up the system. So i guess ill stick with 4.2 and make it 100% stable. Till i get new mob in a future. Thanks for replaying and your time buddy, helped a lot.
m
0
l
a c 137 K Overclocking
April 12, 2014 10:45:59 AM

stefanode said:
chris987 said:
stefanode said:
Thank you Chris, i added 0.005v more to vcore. And gonna test it a bit to see how stable is. As for future overclocking on 4.3 and so on, how much voltage should i consider to increase, from current?


as bicycle_repair_man mentioned erlier you can increase voltage as long as temps dont exceed 75c which is considered safe for 24/7 use. while stress testing you may exceed even 80c but that doesnt reflect on every day cpu usage which rarely reaches 100% under any game or aplication for a long period of time!


Yeah i forgot to scroll up this thread, as been a while when i created it. So far, i found that on MSI motherboards in this case msi z87 g55 Load line calibration is actually hidden and its called Vdroop control under OC>power settings, so i set that on 100%. i tryed also to overclock it more then just 4.2Ghz but i guess i was not that lucky to get good chip. I tryed 4.3, 4.4, 4.5ghz and i vent to 1.370+ on core voltage, and couldn't start up the system. So i guess ill stick with 4.2 and make it 100% stable. Till i get new mob in a future. Thanks for replaying and your time buddy, helped a lot.


no problem im glad i've been of assistance!:) 
m
1
l