fx 6300 prime95 and max core temp

bunana

Reputable
Mar 5, 2014
I'm running prime95 to test my oc of 4.4 ghz on the fx 6300. I'm using HWmonitor and my TMPIN2 is maxing at 71 C and hovering around 64-70 C for the past couple hours with no errors. While idle in windows 7, the cpu runs at 45 C. I know the max temp for the fx 6300 is 70 C so my question is if this is safe to keep the oc of 4.4 ghz. While i do use the system for gaming, I don't play for more a couple hours. I'm not sure if this would even push the cpu to full load.

airborn824

Honorable
Mar 3, 2013
That temp is not safe. bring your voltage down and test it that should help. if not bring down the clock. otherwise get a water cooler from Newegg or Best Buy. all you need is a H55 that you can get for about $50

bunana

Reputable
Mar 5, 2014
My package temp is 57 C at max. If TMPIN2 is core temp, then I am killing my cpu in prime95 as we speak. lol. Do any games use the cpu as hard as prime95?

If you want to be sure if you are within spec, the only software available that can tell you is the latest AMD Overdrive. It will tell you your exact Thermal Junction limit. Most gaming won't stress more than one core to the max, so it won't heat up like prime95 does because prime can artificially load every core to the max.

bunana

Reputable
Mar 5, 2014
Thank you everyone for your help! I'm wondering if TMPIN2 is the VRM or NB temp! Now I'm using HWiNFO64 and it shows that HWmonitor's TMPIN0 is mobo temp, TMPIN1 or package is cpu. My board is a GA 78lmt-usb3 rev. 5.0. Please don't lecture me on oc on this board, I know this board can handle it. My case is a XION XON-560 mATX/ ITX Meshed Mini Tower Case so I can a lot of space for venting. Which brings me to coolcole01 answer of putting a fan in the case. Should I point the fan at the VRM or the socket?