2008 iMac to External Display

NathanBurkholder

Reputable
Mar 1, 2014
Hi,

I am a bit of a do-it-yourselfer and my 2008 24" iMac just died. From doing some research i believe its the logic board. So, i am left wondering if it's possible to turn it into an external monitor for my desktop? I have done some preliminary research and have found results saying both, that it could be done and that it could not be done. Does anyone know of any tutorials?

Also, just out of curiosity, I am wondering about how the mini display port works. Am I able to just get an hdmi to mini display port cable and that work? I am curious because i have seen that people (not running thunderbolt) just plug it in and the external display just shows up, so i am wondering if it is bypassing the logic board and just making use of the screen?

Thoughts?
Also, just out of curiosity, I am wondering about how the mini display port works. Am I able to just get an hdmi to mini display port cable and that work? I am curious because i have seen that people (not running thunderbolt) just plug it in and the external display just shows up, so i am wondering if it is bypassing the logic board and just making use of the screen?

Thoughts?