Solved

8800 gts or 9600 gt which one as physx

I have a couple spare video card and was wondering if either my 8800 gts or 9600 gt would improve quality\speed if I used either of these as a physx card.
5 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about 8800 gts 9600 physx
  1. 8800gts>9600gt
    You could use one of them, however depending on your current setup it might hinder more than help.
  2. If your primary card is a new high end one both the 8800 and 9600 will bottleneck it (fast card has to wait for physx calculations).
  3. Best answer
    This might give you some ideas:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cbww3dhzK0M

It may take some experimenting and BMing
  4. I think if you already have both cards go ahead and test it. I think it is useful to have a dedicated physx card if you plays games that truly take advantage of physx which I haven't seen to many now days. I was thinking about trying my old gtx 580 as a dedicated physx card for fun with my gtx two 780 Ti's I don't really see any issue with just putting one of them in there just to test it out. The 9600 gt was known to be better at physx than the 8800. I might test it on my system with the 580 like I said. I also have a 650 ti laying around that I might test it with also
  5. The old G80 based 8800gts isn't a good choice for physx and it has issues running the latest versions, the G92 has good support and is good as a dedicated but that G94 based 9600gt is at the edge as far as being good enough. Honestly I have done this and it can be a money pit on a new or middle aged setup and when re-using old cards for this purpose it has to be done right for it to really work. Fermi and Kepler cards have their weaknesses but for the power they do a good job and easy to track down cheap without being reduced to junk condition. The old stuff is showing the wear of use and time especially with poor driver support.
Ask a new question

Read More

Graphics Cards Speed Physx Graphics