760 GTX "overheating" in games, but not Furmark

Hey guys. EVGA Nvidia GTX 760 SC edition with (+140/+525 overclock).

Achieved my overclock shortly after I got my card about 2 month ago. With my fan profile it would hit about 70 in Furmark and maybe 72 in game. The last two days it's been jumping to almost 78 degrees while gaming at times, usually while up close to something or in a menu screen. I have the fan profile to get pretty aggressive after 74 degrees so I'm not sure what is going on. Re-ran Furmark and it sits comfortably at 70.

Any ideas? Running the latest drivers, heatsink is free of dust. Idles around 29. Nothing seems out of the ordinary. Thanks.

Furmark aka the power virus isn't a good tool for performance and stability testing as there are examples of it being dodgy in overclocking.

The temps are not bad but personal taste I would try to keep them when at full load below 70-75c which is what you already getting. What I don't like is the dynamic clocking that can botch the fps enough that it can be noticed. You could force the fan to run at a fixed speed so that temps don't just get to spike and you will be able to sustain the clocks better (the same applies to AMD).

But what I don't understand is it's been running hotter than usual lately in games. Games would get to about 73 and now they try to go for 80. I'll scale down my overclock a little bit to see if that helps... +140/+525 has been higher than any OC i've seen reported with this card. Maybe it's catching up? Nothing has changed. Strange.

Edit: Fixed it. Reset the thermal paste. Easy as that.