is fx 8320 futureproof

Swapnil gupta

Reputable
Apr 5, 2014
I am about to build a gaming rig and wanted to know if fx 8320 futureproof.also suggest me a good motherboard for overclocking the processor.any help is appreciated

TR0n_A

Reputable
Apr 4, 2014
Probably more so than the current Intel/AMD quadcore CPUs. Developers are saying they're moving to more cores now that the Xbox One & PS4 are out (both 8-core like the 8320).

schau314

Honorable
Feb 10, 2014
Yes, but futureproofing is used wrong here. To futureproof is to buy tecnology in the mid grade instead of high grade that will last a while. You can't futureproof well with a 8320 because in 3 year it will be outdated. One thing to consider is that the old phenom x4 are now usefull but create a slight bottleneck but they were at one time considered futureproof. So in your question the 8320 is a good processor that is weaker per core than intel. The xbox 360 had three cores already but everyone still used dual cores at its inception and the 8 cores are made by amd for the ps4 so it is a safe bet.

hannibal

Distinguished
Nothing in computer technology is future proof... But it is descent CPU for budget builders. Go for motherboard with good brand like Asus or similar, with features you need. How many hd/ssd you need? How many usb ports etc. If you are going to overclock the processor, you good CPU cooler, like Nochtua or similar. Also good PSU like Antech, corsair, or Seasonic. Stable electric current is important when overclocking.
Intel would give you more speed, but it would also cost more, so a hard decision in there.

At this moment I personally would take Intel CPU and AMD GPU with Seasonic, or Antech PSU and Asus motherboard... But it would cost a quite a lot so my next upgrade is waiting for the release of DX12 and second generation of 20nm GPU... (even first generation is not out, so I have to vait at least too years. But I have good computer based on AMD Phenon 2 in my use with fast X210 ssd and it will be good enough at least two year from now.)

TR0n_A

Reputable
Apr 4, 2014

The Phenom x4 is from 2007 lol.

TR0n_A

Reputable
Apr 4, 2014

Well I'd avoid the i3. i5 is good but only at the higher end of the range, i7 is the best but very pricey.

The i5 3570K/4670K is generally the more favoured Intel chips, but they're both only quadcore with no hyperthreading.

schau314

Honorable
Feb 10, 2014
Any i are fine. Don't listen intently because 8 core will not be required until this technology is outdated. The xbox360 had 3 cores but everyone didn't rush each other to get a quad core at its inception. The i7 is a waste for most people, and the i5 is the middle ground. i3 is fine for most games but in the futureproofing game 4 cores might be beneficial to new releases but it's overblown.

TR0n_A

Reputable
Apr 4, 2014

The first consumer quadcores (C2Q) didn't come out until mid 2006, the 360 came out in Nov 2005 lol, so that is a bit of a redundant argument (they're also different architectures, x86_64 vs PowerPC). The likes of AC4 require 4 cores (there are a few more, I just can't think of them off the top of my head), so the i3, even with hyperthreading, is a bad deal for 'futureproofing'. No one has said 8 cores will be totally required, but it will certainly be beneficial, and more adept for 'futureproofing'.

schau314

Honorable
Feb 10, 2014
Or you could just get current technology from intel that has 4 cores and is superior to amd's cores while not producing as much heat or using as much power. Also the i3 has hyperthreading but he can always upgrade to an i5 if needed. What is the advantage of amd.

hannibal

Distinguished
For intel i5 4670K is good enough for a while. I agree with schau314 that i7 is overkill for gaming at this moment. If you are video editing, then it may be useful to have i7, otherwise it is more useful to buy better GPU and/or SSD... It all depends on your budget. Broadwell is not coming too soon though and I think that it will not give very big upgrade over ivybridge (not counting that it will use less electricity...). I am afraid that in the beginning it will overclock even worse than ivybridge. In the time it will get better, but new architecture requires some time to mature.

TR0n_A

Reputable
Apr 4, 2014

Mainly price. Performance is subjective after a point (if it's 60 FPS+, who cares whether it's Intel or AMD). Intel isn't great for budget-concious builds.

CooLWoLF

Distinguished
Solution

ykki

Honorable
Well any hardware is only as good as the software written fot it. the 8320 will perform well if you use multithreaded applications. If only gaming then go with a core i5 as it is good for any gen game but if you are multitasking then the 8320 will serve you better IMO.