Hi all,I have a R9 290 and I am trying to play Arma 3, however I am getting sub-30 FPS

JakeHall

Honorable
Nov 21, 2013
Hello all,

I am getting sub-30 fps on Arma 3, I was wondering if anyone could help me get to the bottom of it since I should be getting around the 60 range.

On all graphic settings I am getting poor FPS

Catalyst V: 13.12

Full build: http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/user/MrJake/saved/44qC

I am also running Windows 8.1

If there is any other details that would help to resolve this, please point me in the right direction. I'm new to this

Thegamerguy

Honorable
Jul 3, 2013
Nice build! What sort of results have you achieved on other games?

By the way, to get the most help I would suggest posting a thread like this in the Video Games section. Just a quick tip! :)

JakeHall

Honorable
Nov 21, 2013
Thanks dude! Well I haven't played any other heavily demanding games.. Magicka has been solid 30 (because I believe its capped)

Total War: Rome 2 turns my computer off. Baffling

JakeHall

Honorable
Nov 21, 2013

I just tried that, updated to 14.2 beta drivers - same as before. No improvement. :(

JakeHall

Honorable
Nov 21, 2013
Hate to bump my own thread, but it is still a issue. At my wits end with trying to resolve this, I have RMA'd previous Graphics Card, had a new one sent out, installed it and the same problems are occurring.

I have reinstalled the Catalyst drivers various times, have stress tested every single component in the system and the only time anything cuts out is with the GPU stress test. Each and every time.

Something to add, when attempting to play Rome: Total War II my computer will just shutdown midway through the opening cutscene, I have monitored temps and there are absolutely no issues with them, they never reach the 50 mark for GPU and the CPU doesn't increase by much either.

Could someone please help me get to the bottom of this issue before it drives me absolutely crazy

JakeHall

Honorable
Nov 21, 2013

Hi,

My CPU is running at Stock speeds, VRM seems to be around 50c on both 1+2. However, I just suffered what seemed to be a video card crash this time... screen went red and then computer restarted.

https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resid=A3F82528BFD4241F!375&authkey=!ABN1x24c2SUzVEU&ithint=file%2c.txt

That file contains a log created by GPU-Z, not sure if it will be helpful to you or not... I hope it will!

Thanks for your help, I hope this helps... if you need any more info just ask.

JakeHall

Honorable
Nov 21, 2013

They are not, no. I am pretty new to computer building and this is my first rig - therefore I didn't / don't know how to change the speed to 2133Mhz. Also, where can I find out the FSB info?

Thanks

JakeHall

Honorable
Nov 21, 2013

Hello,

I was unable to find such info within the BIOS, I have been looking into it with a friend and I feel it is the motherboard.

Here are the reasons why:

- unexplained low fps
- unable to flash new BIOS
- random crashes for no apparent reason (voltages and temps are fine) which then required power cycling to start the computer again
- randomly having issues with the uefi BIOS deciding the drive is not bootable, requires setting the BIOS back to defaults either by removing the CMOS or resetting within BIOS

Would you agree? It seems to stack in the mobos fault. Total War: Rome 2 doesn't get past the opening cutscene before the computer just powers down - its strange.

Please let me know what you think,

Jake

JakeHall

Honorable
Nov 21, 2013

I have done so, awaiting a replacement.

One thing I am worried about is if the motherboard that is on its way does not resolve the issue, where do I got next? Everything else seems to be perfectly fine and working as it should - if it's not the motherboard I will be completely lost in terms of what the actual issue is since I have tested everything else so much that it simply can't be an issue.

Graphics Card has been replaced
CPU has been put to its absolute maximum for hours and has not worked a sweat
Countless MEMTests for the RAM all reporting back positive
HDD has also been SMART tested

I just wouldn't know what to do if it's not the motherboard. I have every limb attached to my person crossed in the hope that this is the solution.

JakeHall

Honorable
Nov 21, 2013
Replacement has arrived - same performance. Frankly rather disappointed and now completely unsure as to what to try next. Could it be Windows 8?

I have also updated the BIOS and again, nothing ()_()

AnEwG

Honorable
Dec 31, 2013
FX chips are natively supported by win 8 unlike win 7 so they should actually perform better in win 8. I really can't think what could be the problem, that is very strange. If it is not much of a pain you can try a fresh install of windows and see if that can help. Also try an older graphics card if you have one at hand or borrow a card from a friend to test it in your rig, I know you have already replaced the GPU but that won't hurt either. It is rather unlikely but you could have gotten yourself two faulty GPUs in a row.

JakeHall

Honorable
Nov 21, 2013
I have pressed your answer as the solution by accident, sorry about that (doh)

I have completed a fresh install Windows 8 before, and after, installing the new board. No improvements. I don't even know anymore, could a faulty HDD cause the issues?

AnEwG

Honorable
Dec 31, 2013
I read before that a faulty HDD can cause stuttering but I don't think it can cause such low fps with the kind of hardware you have, not to mention that you have tested your drive and it passed the testing. Did you run Western Digital Data Lifeguard Diagnostics in Dos before?

JakeHall

Honorable
Nov 21, 2013

Hi,

I have not run that, no. Is there an advantage to running it in DOS, or could I simply use the application? Also - I have noticed in Task Manager that I had a lot of Memory that has been cached, and left with only around 100MB of memory that is actually free. I spoke to a friend and he said this could be due to a memory leak, I'm not actually too sure and was thinking it was a Windows 8 feature?

AnEwG

Honorable
Dec 31, 2013
I am not sure what your friend meant but it looks like something is really hogging your resources there. You can check in task manager to see what is eating up all of that ram. As for HDD diagnostic tools, it is always better to run them in DOS, this way you can avoid data loss for one thing, and for the other they can scan the disk and fix errors more thoroughly this way.

JakeHall

Honorable
Nov 21, 2013

OK I am going to run that from DOS and get back to you, also - after restarting the Cached mem seems to slowly grow and grow. Very strange.

JakeHall

Honorable
Nov 21, 2013
Hello,

I have run that test and it has passed with no errors and no bad sectors. This issue seems to possibly be software related? Something to do with windows being "helpful" and installing drivers for me.

Hmm

JakeHall

Honorable
Nov 21, 2013

Yeah, nothing stands out as being problematic - also because it is cached it is not actively being used so the task manager isn't displaying what has control over that cached memory.

I have also tried Total War: Rome 2 again on the new Mobo, and we still have it switch my computer off. This is baffling. What could it be.

Are there any extensive logging tools I can run that can log what is going on up to the point TW:R2 crashes that can give us an insight into what's happened?