Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

Am I able to crossfire my graphic card without bottlenecking them?

Last response: in Windows 7
Share
April 5, 2014 1:32:52 PM

Hi,
Right now I have a Sapphire Radeon HD 7870 GHz Edition with an AMD FX-6300. Would I be bottlenecking my GPUs if added another Radeon 7870. So that would be 2 7870s. Right now my CPU is overclocked to 4.2 GHz, and at stock it is 3.5 GHz. If I crossfired 2 7870s would I be bottlenecking them?
a c 307 U Graphics card
a b $ Windows 7
April 5, 2014 1:35:33 PM

You should be fine. I tried that same combo not too long ago.
m
1
l
April 5, 2014 1:42:47 PM

clutchc said:
You should be fine. I tried that same combo not too long ago.
Alright sweet thanks! How much of a performance increase do you think i'll see in terms of gaming, and what graphics card would they be comparable to that's on the market right now?

m
0
l
Related resources

Best solution

a c 112 U Graphics card
April 5, 2014 1:46:28 PM

Nah your processor is more than enough to support both the cards at crossfire, you will run them just fine. Although the power supply and the motherboard need to be crossfire ready too, what is the make and model of your motherboard and the powersupply?
Share
a c 112 U Graphics card
April 5, 2014 1:48:00 PM

You will probably get the double fps from before.
m
0
l
April 5, 2014 1:56:04 PM

goku1234567890 said:
Nah your processor is more than enough to support both the cards at crossfire, you will run them just fine. Although the power supply and the motherboard need to be crossfire ready too, what is the make and model of your motherboard and the powersupply?
My PSU I don't think is going to be able to support it, it's like a Raidmax 530 watt so i'm going to have to upgrade that, and my Mobo is like some Asus one I got from Micro Center that was free with buying the FX-6300. It only has one PCI slot so i'm going to have to upgrade that as well. Got any suggestions on a cheap mobo and PSU that are good and will support what i'm doing?

m
0
l
a c 112 U Graphics card
April 5, 2014 1:59:50 PM

Look cheap things are always risky and who know's in the long run they just might cost you more than the quality one's. What is your budget so that i can suggest both the things according to them.
m
0
l
a c 307 U Graphics card
a b $ Windows 7
April 5, 2014 2:01:40 PM

Bumblebeebs said:
clutchc said:
You should be fine. I tried that same combo not too long ago.
Alright sweet thanks! How much of a performance increase do you think i'll see in terms of gaming, and what graphics card would they be comparable to that's on the market right now?



On my FX-6300 system I had earlier, ~80% improvement in frame rate over a single HD 7870 OC card was about the average. I can't say what single card that would equal 2 x HD 7870 OC cards on your system, but I had those two HD 7870 OC cards on the rig in my sig below for awhile. My Firestrike score with the single R9-290X I have now is roughly the same as I got with 2 x HD 7870 OC cards.

______R9-290X: 3DMark score 8778 Graphics score: 11374
2 x HD 7870 OC: 3DMark score 8256 Graphics score: 10870

Neither the cards or the CPU were overclocked for the runs other than what the factory put on them.
m
0
l
April 5, 2014 2:05:51 PM

goku1234567890 said:
Look cheap things are always risky and who know's in the long run they just might cost you more than the quality one's. What is your budget so that i can suggest both the things according to them.
Well I mean, my budget on the mobo would probably be 80 bucks max, and the PSU i don't know really. Just through one at me that's pretty good as well as good deal for my money. Update: well actually I might be able to do a little more money for the mobo

m
0
l
April 5, 2014 2:07:08 PM

clutchc said:
Bumblebeebs said:
clutchc said:
You should be fine. I tried that same combo not too long ago.
Alright sweet thanks! How much of a performance increase do you think i'll see in terms of gaming, and what graphics card would they be comparable to that's on the market right now?



On my FX-6300 system I had earlier, ~80% improvement in frame rate over a single HD 7870 OC card was about the average. I can't say what single card that would equal 2 x HD 7870 OC cards on your system, but I had those two HD 7870 OC cards on the rig in my sig below for awhile. My Firestrike score with the single R9-290X I have now is roughly the same as I got with 2 x HD 7870 OC cards.

R9-290X: 8778
2 x HD 7870 OC: 8256
Thanks for the info, that sounds like a pretty good increase

m
0
l
a c 112 U Graphics card
April 5, 2014 2:18:34 PM

Sorry don't go with the above one i didn't saw that motherboard require a 8 pin power connector. wait let me find another motherboard.
m
0
l
a c 307 U Graphics card
a b $ Windows 7
April 5, 2014 2:25:25 PM

And be sure the board is at least x8, x8 lanes for the PCIe x16 slots.
m
0
l
April 5, 2014 2:40:35 PM

Oh and do you think I could use my Raidmax 530W? It says it's crossfire ready and it's been working great so far for me. If I could it would save a lot of money for me unless it broke down, but I guess either way i'd still have to buy one right. but I don't think that will happen, it seems pretty stable so far. What do you think?

m
0
l
a c 112 U Graphics card
April 5, 2014 2:42:07 PM

Bumblebeebs said:
Alright thanks for all the help! I'll be sure to look at PSU and whatever motherboard you find and see what I can do.



Sorry for that delay and bug up, both the power supply and the motherboard are compatible, i just had to make sure that there are the right connections available in the power supply.
m
0
l
a c 112 U Graphics card
April 5, 2014 2:47:48 PM

Bumblebeebs said:
Oh and do you think I could use my Raidmax 530W? It says it's crossfire ready and it's been working great so far for me. If I could it would save a lot of money for me unless it broke down, but I guess either way i'd still have to buy one right. but I don't think that will happen, it seems pretty stable so far. What do you think?



Wait let me just check.
m
0
l
a c 112 U Graphics card
April 5, 2014 2:55:03 PM

Sorry but that power supply is not enough. It only got 20A on rail 1 and rail 2 has even low ampere and total ampere consumption of 7870 and your processor is going to 21 to 22Amps. Sorry but either scale down the graphic card or buy the new power supply.
m
0
l
April 5, 2014 2:57:53 PM

goku1234567890 said:
Sorry but that power supply is not enough. It only got 20A on rail 1 and rail 2 has even low ampere and total ampere consumption of 7870 and your processor is going to 21 to 22Amps. Sorry but either scale down the graphic card or buy the new power supply.
Oh okay, i'll probably just buy a new Power Supply. So that Antec one is sure to work with my system?

m
0
l
a c 112 U Graphics card
April 5, 2014 3:00:38 PM

Yeah it will work.
m
0
l
April 5, 2014 3:04:10 PM

goku1234567890 said:
Yeah it will work.
Alright I really appreciate all the help! Thanks!

m
0
l
a c 112 U Graphics card
April 5, 2014 3:05:42 PM

No problem Glad to help you.
m
0
l
!