Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

Very High Temps at Stock Speed

Last response: in CPUs
Share
April 7, 2014 12:06:24 AM

Hi..
a month earlier i posted about my new build .Now its complete but there is a problem(i think so)
When I run High Graphics Games such as Batman Arkham Origins , AC black flag, bf4 etc
i get a message on bottom right which says - "warning cpu temperature 65.0 centigrade"
What should i do.. Here are my specs -
CPU- AMD FX 8320 @ 3.5GHz (stock) with Stock AMD heatsink
GPU- Sapphire Vapor-X Tri-x Radeon R9 280x OC + Boost 3GB
RAM- 8GB 1600MHz ( 2x 4GB) G SKILL
MOBO- Asus M5A99FX PRO R2.0
There are 2 Intake fans - 1x 200mm in front panel 1x 120mm at bottom
2 Blower fans - 1x 140mm at back and 1x 120mm top
I dont think that there is any bottleneck

thanks in advance

More about : high temps stock speed

a b à CPUs
April 7, 2014 12:28:01 AM

65 degrees isn't enough to worry about for a CPU under load (especially with the stock heatsink). If you were getting temps >80 degrees, then you should worry.
m
0
l
a c 191 à CPUs
April 7, 2014 12:30:53 AM

the stock AMD fan is not good enough to cool an 8 core amd... particularly if you have a warm room. Replace that heatsink with something better. make sure you replace the thermal paste.

Redheadsrule13 said:
65 degrees isn't enough to worry about for a CPU under load (especially with the stock heatsink). If you were getting temps >80 degrees, then you should worry.


not true. an AMD 8 core is not an intel cpu. if we were talking an intel, you'd be right. AMD cpus start to temp throttle around 65c... which is why his cpu clock speed is so low. his system is temp throtting. this IS a problem.
m
1
l
Related resources
April 7, 2014 4:21:58 AM

ingtar33 said:
his system is temp throtting. this IS a problem.


Throtting?? tell me about that I WANT TO KNOW ..
And will a CoolerMaster hyper 212 evo solve this? here is another screen shot which shows the temprature while running battlefield 4 at ultra preset

http://imageshack.com/a/img829/296/iimy.png

and should i stop playing games till i get the evo212
m
0
l
April 7, 2014 4:26:50 AM

Redheadsrule13 said:
65 degrees isn't enough to worry about for a CPU under load (especially with the stock heatsink). If you were getting temps >80 degrees, then you should worry.


You have intel but i dont
m
0
l
a c 191 à CPUs
April 7, 2014 12:15:01 PM

Anurag Trivedi said:
ingtar33 said:
his system is temp throtting. this IS a problem.


Throtting?? tell me about that I WANT TO KNOW ..
And will a CoolerMaster hyper 212 evo solve this? here is another screen shot which shows the temprature while running battlefield 4 at ultra preset

http://imageshack.com/a/img829/296/iimy.png

and should i stop playing games till i get the evo212


mmm... you know, looking at your pictures again... i wonder if i wasn't just jumping to a conclusion.

download a program called HWmonitor, tell me what the cpu core temps are at idle, and cpu socket temp (on the motherboard, it should be the hottest temp reported) at idle... then play bf4 and tell me the temps again after playing a while. just take the max temps saved by HWmonitor (leave it running in the background)
m
0
l
April 7, 2014 11:09:51 PM

ingtar33 said:
Anurag Trivedi said:
ingtar33 said:
his system is temp throtting. this IS a problem.


Throtting?? tell me about that I WANT TO KNOW ..
And will a CoolerMaster hyper 212 evo solve this? here is another screen shot which shows the temprature while running battlefield 4 at ultra preset

http://imageshack.com/a/img829/296/iimy.png

and should i stop playing games till i get the evo212


mmm... you know, looking at your pictures again... i wonder if i wasn't just jumping to a conclusion.

download a program called HWmonitor, tell me what the cpu core temps are at idle, and cpu socket temp (on the motherboard, it should be the hottest temp reported) at idle... then play bf4 and tell me the temps again after playing a while. just take the max temps saved by HWmonitor (leave it running in the background)


Ill download that and after half hour of this reply ill post the results..... I think updating bios should do it or not? cause my motherboard has stock bios and on the asus website newer version is available
m
0
l
April 8, 2014 12:50:40 AM

ingtar33 said:
Anurag Trivedi said:
ingtar33 said:
his system is temp throtting. this IS a problem.


Throtting?? tell me about that I WANT TO KNOW ..
And will a CoolerMaster hyper 212 evo solve this? here is another screen shot which shows the temprature while running battlefield 4 at ultra preset

http://imageshack.com/a/img829/296/iimy.png

and should i stop playing games till i get the evo212


mmm... you know, looking at your pictures again... i wonder if i wasn't just jumping to a conclusion.

download a program called HWmonitor, tell me what the cpu core temps are at idle, and cpu socket temp (on the motherboard, it should be the hottest temp reported) at idle... then play bf4 and tell me the temps again after playing a while. just take the max temps saved by HWmonitor (leave it running in the background)


here are results but i didnt test it on bf4 as it has got some bug by which the game stucks at loading screen after press enter screen so i tested it with batman arkham origins played for about 5mins here is the screenshot -


and my gpu is r9280x so why it shows 7970?

and i also updated my bios to latest version but still no fix






one more while playing crysis 3 at maximum
http://imageshack.com/a/img850/1076/90f6.png
m
0
l

Best solution

a c 191 à CPUs
April 8, 2014 12:55:06 PM

yeah... you're running too hot.

Not sure your cpu is giving you a perfect temp report or not... it's close enough. The key is the cpu socket temp on your motherboard... typically they're around 10C hotter then the cpu cores under load. what i'm seeing there is your cpu temps are sitting at 60C and the socket at 68C; yeah you have a cooling problem.

Which is not uncommon. The stock heatsink for the 8320/8350 is simply not enough to keep them cool in normal operation. Typical AMD really... you know for a time they actually shipped the 8350 with an AMD water cooler in some kits... aught to tell you all you need to know about how hard it is to keep these 8 core beasts cool.

If you want to cool your system down for cheap, get yourself a hyper 212 evo cpu cooler. if you want to overclock that 8 core down the road, spend a little more and get an h100, h80i or h100i.
Share
April 9, 2014 1:50:56 AM

ingtar33 said:
yeah... you're running too hot.

Not sure your cpu is giving you a perfect temp report or not... it's close enough. The key is the cpu socket temp on your motherboard... typically they're around 10C hotter then the cpu cores under load. what i'm seeing there is your cpu temps are sitting at 60C and the socket at 68C; yeah you have a cooling problem.

Which is not uncommon. The stock heatsink for the 8320/8350 is simply not enough to keep them cool in normal operation. Typical AMD really... you know for a time they actually shipped the 8350 with an AMD water cooler in some kits... aught to tell you all you need to know about how hard it is to keep these 8 core beasts cool.

If you want to cool your system down for cheap, get yourself a hyper 212 evo cpu cooler. if you want to overclock that 8 core down the road, spend a little more and get an h100, h80i or h100i.


You are right! but i think i have solved this. when you said that my cpu is throttling , i learnt about it on youtube and many sites. and yesterday i just created a new power plan with High Performance preset and changed Minimum and maximum processor state to 99%( not 100 because i heard somewhere that 100 will heat it up) then i again played batman and temps were amazing. I also did a stress test in systm stability test using aida64 extreme but temps wont go more than 55-59!!!!! . check the image down. BUT I WILL STILL BUY A NEW COOLER i.e. COOLER MASTER HYPER 212 EVO (i dont want to Overclock).
HERE IS ANOTHER SCREEN SHOT --- played bf4 for 30 mins

http://imageshack.com/a/img203/9788/ajzc.png
m
0
l
a c 191 à CPUs
April 9, 2014 1:49:09 PM

great news!
m
0
l
April 10, 2014 12:26:22 AM

ingtar33 said:
great news!


Can i oc it upto 4ghz with 212evo?
m
0
l
a c 191 à CPUs
April 11, 2014 9:36:01 AM

might be able to get it up to 4.2-4.6 depending on the cpu.
m
0
l
April 17, 2014 1:05:39 AM

ingtar33 said:
might be able to get it up to 4.2-4.6 depending on the cpu.


got the 212 evo!!
m
0
l
April 17, 2014 8:01:48 AM

ingtar33 said:
might be able to get it up to 4.2-4.6 depending on the cpu.


hey i man i need ur help again!!!!
i got the 212 evo and installed it perfectly (i think so) while installing fan on the sink , it moved 2-3times on the cpu i think thats not a major thing or is it?
TEMPS-
ROOM TEMP- 35C
IDLE TEMP- 36C - 40C
WHILE PLAYING BF4 - 50C-53C

Are these OK?? I want to oc to 4.0GHz give me intructions for that. i have UEFI bios
m
0
l
a c 191 à CPUs
April 17, 2014 2:11:16 PM

well you knocked 13C off the CPU with the EVO. good news.

now for overclocking... here is something i wrote a while ago for "general" overclocking of an AMD Piledriver cpu...

Quote:
first you'll need to go into your bios. there are certain things you'll need to do before you overclock.
1) disable turbo mode
2) disable c1/c6 states
3) turn off AMP
4) if your mb supports LLC (i'm not sure about that msi board) turn it on to the highest setting for the CPU and a medium setting for the Northbridge (this prevents "voltage droop", or a drop in voltage when your cpu is under load. This will improve stability)
5) turn up your cpu and nb current capacity to its highest settings (this allows your cpu/nb to draw more power if needed when under load)
6) turn off quiet and cool
7) go to the advanced cpu settings, change to manual (it will probably be something like "automatic")
8) go to cpu multiplier, it should be set to 20 (the base cpu frequency for a 8350 is 4.0 ghz; cpu frequency (200) * cpu multiplier (20) = 4.0ghz); and bump it up +0.5 to 4.1ghz,
9) go down to your cpu's vcore voltage, change from auto to manual, every cpu has a different vcore out of the box, so set it to whatever the bios says it's currently set at. it will probably be something in the range of 1.32-1.36 depending on your cpu.
10) go down to the cpu/nb voltage (usually the next setting in the bios) and change it from auto to manual, and set it to whatever the bios claims it's working at (this is also unique to the cpu, though it should be something around 1.1v to 1.2v)

now save and restart... load into windows, download a one of two programs... it doesn't really matter which... either Intel's Burn Test-AVX or occt (prime95 is also ok... but it tends to give false crashes at higher frequencies for piledriver cpus, so it's not the most reliable). I like intel's burn test for a quick stability test... run it for 20 passes, at it's highest stress levels... so for judging if your case airflow and cpu cooler are doing a good job, it's a poor measure of that. but for finding instability, IBT-AVX is awesome, because 20 passes (10-15minutes) are better then 8 hours of prime, or 2 hours of OCCT for finding instability

if your computer passes, restart go into your bios and bump the multiplier another +0.5, rinse and repeat. get yourself core temp or hwmonitor to keep an eye on your cpu temps, if your temps close in on 70C you're reaching the end of the overclock.

If the computer fails an ITB or OCCT run, or the computer simply freezes your cpu is undervolted. go back into the bios and bump the vcore another +0.0125V. try again. keep bumping the vcore and testing system stability until your computer passes, or temps get too high. if the temps are too high you'll need to back the overclock down and call it a day (or get better cooling).

generally piledriver cpus can reach 4.3-4.5 ghz on stock vcore voltage. so you'll probably get that far before you need to start to add vcore... and usually around 4.7-4.8ghz piledriver cpus need a large step up in vcore to find stability. If your temps are good you might get past that point... just know that 1.55 vcore is probably the most you'll ever want to push into a piledriver cpu. you probably won't get that far though... around 1.45V-1.5V temps tend to spiral out of control...


If you want more specific and detailed information tailored to your bios, here is something to look at...
http://www.overclock.net/t/1348623/amd-bulldozer-and-pi...
m
0
l
April 20, 2014 5:57:14 AM

ingtar33 said:
well you knocked 13C off the CPU with the EVO. good news.

now for overclocking... here is something i wrote a while ago for "general" overclocking of an AMD Piledriver cpu...

Quote:
first you'll need to go into your bios. there are certain things you'll need to do before you overclock.
1) disable turbo mode
2) disable c1/c6 states
3) turn off AMP
4) if your mb supports LLC (i'm not sure about that msi board) turn it on to the highest setting for the CPU and a medium setting for the Northbridge (this prevents "voltage droop", or a drop in voltage when your cpu is under load. This will improve stability)
5) turn up your cpu and nb current capacity to its highest settings (this allows your cpu/nb to draw more power if needed when under load)
6) turn off quiet and cool
7) go to the advanced cpu settings, change to manual (it will probably be something like "automatic")
8) go to cpu multiplier, it should be set to 20 (the base cpu frequency for a 8350 is 4.0 ghz; cpu frequency (200) * cpu multiplier (20) = 4.0ghz); and bump it up +0.5 to 4.1ghz,
9) go down to your cpu's vcore voltage, change from auto to manual, every cpu has a different vcore out of the box, so set it to whatever the bios says it's currently set at. it will probably be something in the range of 1.32-1.36 depending on your cpu.
10) go down to the cpu/nb voltage (usually the next setting in the bios) and change it from auto to manual, and set it to whatever the bios claims it's working at (this is also unique to the cpu, though it should be something around 1.1v to 1.2v)

now save and restart... load into windows, download a one of two programs... it doesn't really matter which... either Intel's Burn Test-AVX or occt (prime95 is also ok... but it tends to give false crashes at higher frequencies for piledriver cpus, so it's not the most reliable). I like intel's burn test for a quick stability test... run it for 20 passes, at it's highest stress levels... so for judging if your case airflow and cpu cooler are doing a good job, it's a poor measure of that. but for finding instability, IBT-AVX is awesome, because 20 passes (10-15minutes) are better then 8 hours of prime, or 2 hours of OCCT for finding instability

if your computer passes, restart go into your bios and bump the multiplier another +0.5, rinse and repeat. get yourself core temp or hwmonitor to keep an eye on your cpu temps, if your temps close in on 70C you're reaching the end of the overclock.

If the computer fails an ITB or OCCT run, or the computer simply freezes your cpu is undervolted. go back into the bios and bump the vcore another +0.0125V. try again. keep bumping the vcore and testing system stability until your computer passes, or temps get too high. if the temps are too high you'll need to back the overclock down and call it a day (or get better cooling).

generally piledriver cpus can reach 4.3-4.5 ghz on stock vcore voltage. so you'll probably get that far before you need to start to add vcore... and usually around 4.7-4.8ghz piledriver cpus need a large step up in vcore to find stability. If your temps are good you might get past that point... just know that 1.55 vcore is probably the most you'll ever want to push into a piledriver cpu. you probably won't get that far though... around 1.45V-1.5V temps tend to spiral out of control...


If you want more specific and detailed information tailored to your bios, here is something to look at...
http://www.overclock.net/t/1348623/amd-bulldozer-and-pi...


thanks for this !!!!!!!!!!!!!!
m
0
l
!