R9 270 OC vs R9 270x - warranty and reliability

AJDux

Reputable
Feb 20, 2014
1st off, I am learning as I go, I understand a lot of the principles but lack the experience with PC building.

Am looking at buying a 270 or 270x, as I understand it essentially the hardware is the same, just the x runs a bit faster.

1) So im interested in buying the standard 270 and clocking it to just run at the same speed as the x, I guess this should be as close to 100% safe as you can go?

2) How reliable are GPU's? Cos I guess clocking it will invalidate your warranty, but is this really a problem? And if there was a problem would the manufacturer even be able to tell? Especially if you havnt played with voltages etc. to cause the damage yourself?

I apologise if any of this is a bit duh..... Thanks for your time o/

Solution
The other difference between 270 and 270x is that 270x has a higher TDP. So it can use more power. And might then have more room for overclocking? I dunno.

I'm not sure of the clockdifference between the 270 and the x, but when overclocking you overclock to a clockspeed that is stable, so I don't think there is a guarantee it will be stable at the same clock speed as the x version.

Overclocking and warranty: Look at the manufacturers page for info on this. Many companies provide overclocking software together with the card. I'm not sure if using these programs are covered by warranty.

B_S

Reputable
Mar 3, 2014
The other difference between 270 and 270x is that 270x has a higher TDP. So it can use more power. And might then have more room for overclocking? I dunno.

I'm not sure of the clockdifference between the 270 and the x, but when overclocking you overclock to a clockspeed that is stable, so I don't think there is a guarantee it will be stable at the same clock speed as the x version.

Overclocking and warranty: Look at the manufacturers page for info on this. Many companies provide overclocking software together with the card. I'm not sure if using these programs are covered by warranty.

Solution