Solved

Linux vs. Windows 7 for new gaming pc build

So I am going to attempt my first gaming pc build, and pretty much have all my parts picked out except my OS. What do people recommend for OS between Windows 7 and Linux? Pretty much building just a gaming rig for next gen games and MMOs
7 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about linux windows gaming build
  1. Best answer
    Windows 7! You can not run most games on Linux. Practically nothing is supported my Linux.
  2. Jellis888 said:
    So I am going to attempt my first gaming pc build, and pretty much have all my parts picked out except my OS. What do people recommend for OS between Windows 7 and Linux? Pretty much building just a gaming rig for next gen games and MMOs


    If its gaming definitely Windows 7 !!!
    Its the Best OS on the plants go for it >

    Hope that helps :)
    If you have any other questions fell free to ask !
  3. Jellis888 said:
    So I am going to attempt my first gaming pc build, and pretty much have all my parts picked out except my OS. What do people recommend for OS between Windows 7 and Linux? Pretty much building just a gaming rig for next gen games and MMOs



    Linux is not for gaming, very limited support.

    If you like Linux put it on another drive a boot to it when you want it, or else install it on a virtual machine.
  4. Another thing to consider is your video driver will not work with Linux.
    You will not be able to utilize any of your GPUs performance.
  5. notherdude said:


    Linux is not for gaming, very limited support.

    If you like Linux put it on another drive a boot to it when you want it, or else install it on a virtual machine.


    True, Linux is not for gaming, it's for everything else, like work, surfing, teaching, fixing broken windows systems...
    And those of us on the Linux forum take offense at people saying there's limited support, them's fightin' words.:pfff:

    Back to OP. Linux can play many steam games and all new releases. Beyond that there are few A list games that run well on Linux.
  6. stillblue said:
    notherdude said:


    Linux is not for gaming, very limited support.

    If you like Linux put it on another drive a boot to it when you want it, or else install it on a virtual machine.


    True, Linux is not for gaming, it's for everything else, like work, surfing, teaching, fixing broken windows systems...
    And those of us on the Linux forum take offense at people saying there's limited support, them's fightin' words.:pfff:

    Back to OP. Linux can play many steam games and all new releases. Beyond that there are few A list games that run well on Linux.

    My comment was limited to games, as should have been obvious, so no fighting is needed here. I love Linux which is why I bothered to suggest he not ignore it completely but install it on an alternate drive!
  7. Nathan Willis said:
    Windows 7! You can not run most games on Linux. Practically nothing is supported my Linux.


    Have you seen the steam page for linux? I'd hardly call it nothing. And I've never had any problems with windows games on wine. Most of the time the opposite, I get better framerates on linux than windows about 80 ~ 90 % of the time
Ask a new question

Read More

Gaming Systems Build Windows 7 Linux